cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wet cell batteries - Dangerous gases ?

CodyClassB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I recently replaced my AGM batteries with wet cell golf cart batteries (since this is the only type of 6V batteries available at SAM club).
The batteries are housed in the battery compartment under the main entry steps with rubber seal on top (Winnebago class C battery) which looks similar to this

I was told that wet cell battery releases dangerous gases. I know the battery compartment has rubber seal on the top. Should I be concerned about using wet cell golf cart batteries instead of AGM batteries? thanks
9 REPLIES 9

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
I would be very very surprised if the battery compartment is not vented to the outside, with it being in that (quite common) location. On my Coachmen, it's very well ventilated, in as much as the "compartment" is a simple rack attached to the frame under the steps. You can see the ground around and in between the batteries.

Wet cell batteries also give off some acid fumes, though that's not the primary concern here.

This is the same way my Winnebago View is done, the batteries sit on flanges and there are large gaps that leave open areas open to below. Good batteries do not generate any measurable amount of gas when topping off. Its not a real concern and I am sure the manufacturer would have planned for standard batteries in the design or it would have some cautions in the manuals, placards, etc to only install AGM batteries.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

OLYLEN
Explorer
Explorer
If this is anything like my under step battery compartment, it is open to the under side. NO problem. Mine is a 2004.

LEN

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
X2 above ^^^^^^
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
The rubber seal should be adequate.

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
AGM batteries can give off hydrogen gas if overcharged. They have pressure relief valves for this purpose. I would assume that Winnebago designed this eventuality into the box design. It doesn't take much air to mix with hydrogen to diffuse the situation. I would guess that the holes where the cables come through are enough.

The batteries in my BMW and Charger are both in the trunk and pretty well sealed. They both have vent tubes are about the size of a soda straw. The Charger is a wet cell and the BMW is an AGM battery.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
I see three holes in the back side of the case. One on each end with cables through them and another between the batteries. If these go under the RV to open air they should be good.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
You need to check it carefully for venting - it won't be hard to find if it's there.
If not, you have to vent them.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would be very very surprised if the battery compartment is not vented to the outside, with it being in that (quite common) location. On my Coachmen, it's very well ventilated, in as much as the "compartment" is a simple rack attached to the frame under the steps. You can see the ground around and in between the batteries.

Wet cell batteries also give off some acid fumes, though that's not the primary concern here.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
The dangerous gases referred to would be hydrogen, which will require vents bottom and top to prevent buildup to explosive levels. If there are not already vents, you better get out the hole saw and make some.