cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What Did You Do in your Sprinter Based RV Today?

Just_Lee
Explorer
Explorer
Trying to get people who own them to post their experiences;

Yesterday I installed a MUCH louder horn "Bad Boy" from Harbor Freight, easy install. Also added more shelving in the Bathroom closet.
2004 Meridian towing 96 Tracker
If you don't stand behind our TROOPS feel free to stand in front of them during a fire fight

In God We Trust ALL Others pay CASH
112 REPLIES 112

DKeppner
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know of a way to beef up the towing capacity on these rigs? I've got the 2008 Gulf Stream Vista Mini with the 3500/350 hitch. I've also got a 2012 Chev Equinox that is checking in at 3810lbs. This is an excellent flat towing toad that I would prefer to keep but the towing limitations dictate otherwise. The 3L diesel is definitely up to the task.
Its not the Destination or the Journey.
Its the Excursion

Cube58
Explorer
Explorer
Today I took the Big Step of becoming a Unity MB Owner. Gave the dealer my colors & options. We meet to Sign the deal & settle price on Friday (hopefully this part goes well). As this is a factory order it will be at least the end of Jan. before I get it.

DKeppner
Explorer
Explorer
A sad day today. Winterized.
Its the Excursion

AprilWhine
Explorer
Explorer
And now that we're back in our winter port, next on the agenda is to freshen up the exterior.

I started taking off the old decals last week, it is surprising how easy old, crumbling decals come off of an RV parked in the sun when the temp is around 100F. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I just pick with my nails a bit, then pull the stripe right off!
1997 Prevost by Angola towing 2014 Honda CRV
OR
2008 Winnebago View towing 2015 Fiat 1957 Anniversary Edition
Pick one

AprilWhine
Explorer
Explorer
Just Lee wrote:
AprilWhine wrote:
Hello from Whitehorse, Yukon Territory!

So far on this trip, we have averaged almost 14 mpg over 6,000 miles. I think that's pretty impressive!

14 mpg is great... Are you towing a TOAD?

We hope to go to Alaska in the next few years...

Friday we got our delivery from Francher's of our Windshield cover/shade and Bra.. They fit perfect....

Yes, towing a Mini Clubman, with extra stuff in the back and 25 gallons of diesel on the safari rack. :C

We finished the trip earlier this month. For over 10,000 miles, we averaged 14.22 mpg. :B

Here's a picture of the rig in Chicken, AK, just after coming across Top of the World Highway:

1997 Prevost by Angola towing 2014 Honda CRV
OR
2008 Winnebago View towing 2015 Fiat 1957 Anniversary Edition
Pick one

DKeppner
Explorer
Explorer
7 Bridgestone tires onboard. Much quieter ride than the old Continentals. $1345 Notes to self:
1) Beware, Costco has a policy of selling tires as "new" even if stamped up to 3 years ago.
2) A good deal may not be such a good deal - see #1 above
3) Good Sam ERS Platinum was the saver here. Called, got "expert" advise, went back and got totally different set of tires for same price.
Its the Excursion

DKeppner
Explorer
Explorer
New tires go on tomorrow - replacing all 7. Ouch.
Its the Excursion

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
Just picked the Prancing Moose up from its storage spot. We leave Tuesday.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

SquirrelyM
Explorer
Explorer
Let's see, in the two months since we bought it used:

• New tires & gator caps
  • New Fantastic vent & cover
  • Replaced bath faucet
  • Added built-in soap dispensers in kitchen & bath
  • New (quieter) water pump
  • Replaced smoke/CO2 & propane detectors
  • Added Quickie flush to black tank
  • LED light bulbs
  • Relocated toilet paper holder
  • Re-caulked seams on roof & front cap
  • Replaced anode rod
  • Installed heavy duty rear sway bar

rvsolutions
Explorer
Explorer
Took a couple pool noodles and split them and cut to length to cover the wiper blades when the Via is stored
Don & Kathy Irvine

2013 Winnebago Via R,
2010 CRV Behind,
Lexie the Westie in charge!
FMCA 119467

applegater
Explorer
Explorer
Just cleaning and rearranging everything after getting back from 5 week trip to Alaska. Took the rig over some pretty rough roads, couple hundred dirt and rock trips. Everything work flawlessly, vehicle remained tight with little or no dust even in the bays. Needed the airconditioner for about two weeks in interior Alaska!

DKeppner
Explorer
Explorer
Just completed a 15 day, 1500 mile excursion hitting 4 northwest states: WA ID MT and OR. A few things learned:
(1) the rig will drive itself for the most part. Correcting wobbles simply leads to over correction.
(2) Cab a/c is a fuel killer - avoid and use the coach a/c.
(3) Over 60 ain't thrifty. Best mileage was hovering around 59mph regardless of terrain, weather, heat, etc. 16.8 tops, 14.9 bottoms, 15.7 trip average.
(4) Drive the Ponderosa Scenic Hwy once for the experience, then stay the heck away from it. Drive the Over the River and Through the Woods scenic and the ID 200 scenic OFTEN.
(5) Whenever in Idaho stay at Healds Haven. In Oregon always stop at Crystal Crane Hot Springs. Lolo Hot Springs MT has awsome ribs and Brooks Memorial state park in WA is an excellent winding down stop.

Gad, was a blast!
Its the Excursion

rvsolutions
Explorer
Explorer
Going to wash her off and check the wiring on the hook up to the CRV
Don & Kathy Irvine

2013 Winnebago Via R,
2010 CRV Behind,
Lexie the Westie in charge!
FMCA 119467

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
9er wrote:
Dakzuki wrote:
rvsolutions wrote:
We have around 4500 miles on our Winnebago Via. The service manager at the Mercedes dealer in Shreveport told us not to let the def get low enough to trigger the warning so I grabbed a 2 1/2 Gal jug at Wal Mart and topped it off yesterday, took all but a little bit at the bottom of the jug. Any thoughts on whether this a normal amount to burn through?
We picked up the coach at Lichstinn and drove it back to Southern Calif. This our 5th motor home and downsizing to the Sprinter chassis was the best move we have ever made. Great coach, looking forward to many miles!

...and just what is the reason he thinks you shouldn't let it get low enough to trigger the light? The only reason I can think of is you will have a limited amount of engine start cycles once the light comes on. Once you reload with DEF you are good to go.

DEF "range" depends how big your DEF tank is. Sprinters can have a big or small tank. I don't know about the Via but on a Cab chassis the big tank is filled from the side of the RV near the house door behind a bin door and the small one from under the hood. I have the "big" tank on mine and I had the light come on at about 9000 miles. The smaller tank which many newer ones have won't go so far. The smaller tank is actually better for RVs as they don't rack up miles so fast. The big tank is more in line with what a fleet vehicle should have. DEF can get old so I don't even fill mine all the way anyway.

yea what is the reason?never heard that before

For those that want to know more about the DEF thing here it is:

My owner's manual says that when you have about 1000 miles left on your DEF supply the dash light illuminates. Once you run out, you get a tone nagging you along with the light. At that point you have 20 start cycles until the engine will refuse to start until you reload DEF. In any world that is ample warning. DEF is easy to find (cheapest at truck stops) and lasts a loooooong time.

End of lesson.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

HardyC
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased our GS MVC in July and took a shakedown cruise (with two small dogs in tow) from the South Bay to Southern Oregon, over the Siskyous, with no issues at all. Boondocked at a friend's ranch in Williams, OR. Had a great time and it drove like a dream. It handled the mountains very well, slowing to about 50-55 at worst. I drove a bit too fast much of the time, but have now slowed down and it shows... better fuel mileage and much more relaxing! We took our second trip to the Mendocino Coast (Olema first night, then Pomo Campground in Fort Bragg - VERY nice campground). There were several good stretches of the trip along the coast, twisting and winding up and down... again handled beautifully and stayed on our side of the road! WE LOVE IT! btw... Have gotten 14+ mpg the last two fillups and expect better when not climbing hills. Can't wait to try out our new Carryout DirecTV satellite unit on a trip. It works great in our back yard.
Hardy Childers
2008 Vista Cruiser Mini 8231