cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What did you do to your Class C MH today???

Rich_Panganiban
Explorer
Explorer
This is always a fun thread to watch in other forums, so I thought I'd start one here.
2007 Jayco Greyhawk - Kodiak 32SS
'00 Subaru Outback Wagon
4,455 REPLIES 4,455

pdmac1946
Explorer
Explorer
Installed a wireless backup camera and monitor in my 17 year old Chateau class C. Not easy access for hooking up the power to the camera. Had to lay under the rear bunk bed to get to wiring behind the water tank. No easy access to other source of power. Finally got it hooked up. Works great. I travel alone and don't always know what is behind me so the camera will be well appreciated.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi TBLMSN,

The technically correct term for a converter is an inverter. That's all. Converter is a "made up term" for RV's. It is nothing more than a fancied up power supply. A battery charger, if you would rather use that term. I agree a converter lowers the voltage and turns AC into DC (often with ripple and on a poor unit some AC leakage).

I also agree that inverters can do the opposite and take 12 volts DC, turn it into AC and raise the voltage.

TMBLSN wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Hi cycletwo,

Strictly speaking a converter is an inverter--but in RV land is always called a converter. When you call, get the make and model of the converter.

There are some inverter/chargers out there.

????????

Converter: 120VAC -> 12VDC

Inverter: 12VDC - > 120VAC
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

TreeSeeker
Explorer
Explorer
Danpaine,

Kudos to you for doing that!

If they have shore-power, then perhaps you could configure it to handle the cold (add tape heaters to prevent freezing of liquids, and maybe some insulation around water lines, etc.).

Danpaine
Explorer
Explorer
I brought the rig over to Brick Township, NJ the other day, and parked it in the driveway of a family very close to mine, as their home was flooded in Hurricane Sandy and is currently uninhabitable. I told them to keep it as long as they need it, and my only concern is if the weather turns too cold, I'll have to get back over there to empty the tanks and winterize it before everything freezes up.

...was happy to do it, though. Wish I could do more for them.
2016 Forest River Forester

TMBLSN
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi cycletwo,

Strictly speaking a converter is an inverter--but in RV land is always called a converter. When you call, get the make and model of the converter.

????????

Converter: 120VAC -> 12VDC

Inverter: 12VDC - > 120VAC
Lee

cycletwo
Explorer
Explorer
I just spoke with Jayco. They said I have a 2-stage Progressive Dynamics 60 amp converter. Also said they do not recommend 24/7 power throughout the winter if you will not be using the coach as it will use your house batteries for no reason. Keeping the thermostat at a reasonable level will not keep any storage tanks from freezing. You still have to winterize the coach. The battery disconnect switch is sufficent to use in lieu of disconecting battery cables.

snowdance
Explorer
Explorer
cycletwo wrote:
Hi Regina; This whole thread may be moot if there is no valid reason to keep shore power 24/7 throughout the winter months. Middle Georgia does not get subfreezing temps that often or for very long duration. Would keeping the coach temp at a modest setting prevent freezing of any component below the coach? I wouldn't think so and, if not, what's the point of shore power 24/7? I would stil need to winterize as if it were disconnected.

You got it right. It has no point except some people feel better for some reason.. Shut it all down and unhook the batterys both coach and truck. Leaving them hooked will leave some things running.. Then check and charge once a month or so..
Snowdance

We spent most of our money traveling... Just wasted the rest..

Chevy 7.4 Vortex
2000 Jamboree 23b Rear Kitchen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowdance38

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

It is about the battery bank. Personally I'd fully charge them and then disconnect. Where I live it gets to -40. I winterize 5 to 7 times per year.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

cycletwo
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Regina; This whole thread may be moot if there is no valid reason to keep shore power 24/7 throughout the winter months. Middle Georgia does not get subfreezing temps that often or for very long duration. Would keeping the coach temp at a modest setting prevent freezing of any component below the coach? I wouldn't think so and, if not, what's the point of shore power 24/7? I would stil need to winterize as if it were disconnected.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi cycletwo,

Regards, Don

cycletwo
Explorer
Explorer
I have no idea if it is a 3-stage converter or not. Guess I have to call Jayco again. Is a converter the same thing as an inverter?

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Is it a three stage converter? If it is, then it may be safe to leave it plugged in 24/7. If not, it may, over time, ruin the "house" batteries.
Regards, Don

cycletwo
Explorer
Explorer
Pianotuna: I just learned I have a 60 amp battery converter. Is that sufficient to run shore power 24/7 or is that even recommended?

cycletwo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the location of my battery disconnect switch. Sure glad it was not a poisonous snake!!

WandaLust2
Explorer
Explorer
We took it for a ride to town today. We try to exercise it at least once a week or so. Also added the finished curtains and made the bed. ๐Ÿ™‚ The tires are real bad and need replacement so that will be the next big thing done to it.
Mrs. WandaLust. Retired. Middle TN
1999 Fleetwood SouthWind 32'
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~