cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What do you do for winter storage

Tkotis5
Explorer
Explorer
We are renting a storage unit for are new motor home how do you keep mice from getting in your rv some one told me fabric sheets and then read to put Irish spring soap open in the rv not sure what to do
15 REPLIES 15

sillyme
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
Check the latest RV Travel Newsletter which advertises a powder that is safe and `effective' called Rodent Repellent tested and endorsed by the Good Sam Club.

I just checked Camping World's website to look this Rodent Repellent up. There was one review which, unfortunately, was very negative. This person had used it for the first time this year (I'm assuming last winter) and he had the most mice in his trailer in over 30 years of camping he also said that it should be called Mice Attractant!
It's a botanical repellant which gives a pungent balsam fir aroma which should drive rodents away but, according to the reviewer, attracts them!
I guess I won't be ordering this any time soon! Plus it's not cheap, $14.99 for a box of 4 packs.
Me and Hubby
2010 Keystone Cougar Xlite 29FKS
2007 Tahoe LTZ 5.3L V8 4WD
Husky Center Line WDH, TruControl, VIP Power Jack, BAL Lock-Arm Stabilizing Bars

Nights spent camping in 2012: 54
Nights spent camping in 2011: 38
Nights spent camping in 2010: 31

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Check the latest RV Travel Newsletter which advertises a powder that is safe and `effective' called Rodent Repellent tested and endorsed by the Good Sam Club.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
We stored in a dirt floor barn for many years. We fought the battle with almost every suggestion mentioned and mice were still a problem. What worked was kill traps and checking them frequently.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Go to most any hunting store online and order some coyote urine or other predator urine that eats the mice in your area. Spray this around the exterior of your coach every few weeks and none will even try to get in to your coach. In Florida it is a year round issue and I've never had any get inside the coach or seen any indication that they have done anything around the RV at all.
It does drive our dog crazy however and she always has to sniff the area for the coyote. As long as she is sniffing, I know that it is doing it's job.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
We store ours in a garage with dirt floors and we have used these Decon blocks around the perimeter of the garage.

Decon blocks

We see dead mice in there every once in a while, but in 7 years we haven't had one in the RV.

Now when we stored outside years back, I got one mouse that came in with some firewood we bought in South Dakota, and it took 2 years to get rid of that guy - what a hassle.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

siggyd777
Explorer
Explorer
They say that Pure Peppermint Oil does the trick. I put it in a small sprey bottle and spray the entrance places and and visible wiring and
down under in the basements.
It has worked for me,you can find it on E-bay, its from "NOW" in a 8oz? bottle.
Siggy
Happy Trails
Siggy & Ursula
2011 Dutch Star 4020,ISL 400,Compr.brake,FTL XCR,IFS
Allison MH3000
2015 Jeep Cherokee,4x4 Active Drive II,V6 , Brake Buddy,Roadmaster Sterling,
Camping since 1975 Pop-Up,1986 22Ft.TT,1999 Gas MH,2005 KSDP,
2011 DSDP,FMCA 368283

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Warning; don't read this before a meal!
Better to trap them than to poison them BECAUSE if they die in a remote space you could smell them but might not find them or be able to reach them before they decay.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I never use baits around my RV! I'm trying to keep rodents away from my coach, I do not want to lure them to my coach. And poisoned rodents seek water so if there is water in any of your water lines they could chew a hole in your water lines seeking to get water. I've tried the dryer sheets and the rodents used them for bedding material. I used Irish Spring bar soap in the past and it didn't work for me. I store my RV next to my stick built house and have it plugged into 50 Amp service. I use my RV as my Winter Storm HQ's during storms which cause my power to go out in my stick built. My RV is equipped with basement heat as long as it is plugged in or the genset is running it doesn't freeze. I also keep my heat on 50* inside my RV during the winter when, I'm not in the coach for the day or night. I use electronic devices (3 of them inside my coach, one at each end and one in the middle of my RV to deter rodents) Using this method I haven't had rodents inside my RV in a long time. I also took the time out to remove every drawer inside my coach and filled in behind the drawers and any runway #00 course steel wool. Also, I used the #00 course steel wool in my under the coach storage cabinets and any runways that I could find. I did the same with the under carriage of my coach. I had rodents chew up my wiring harness in my genset to the tune of $1,200.00 one time and, I don't want that to happen again. Rodents love to chew wires.

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
First off...my motorhome is kept outside. (All of the RVs I've owned have been kept outdoors all year.) For me...the cheapo wood "snap traps" does the job. A dab of peanut butter. I have 12 all around the inside and outside. I get around 5 mice per winter. Outside, I have 2 in the generator area (that is where i get most of them) and one in the plumbing area. The rest are inside.
One year I had a real smart one. Got the peanut butter off two traps without springing them.....but the third one got him. Only once did they get past all the traps...found a nest under the couch.

When not snowbirding, I go and start the motor and the generator once every two weeks. Let them both run for about 1/2 hour. If I didn't do that I guess I would remove the (3) batteries and put them in my garage. However...I figure I might need the motorhome unexpectedly...y'never know. So...that works for us.

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
We remove all food and paper products and stuff steel wool into the "ports" where the shore power cable and city water hose come into the basement. Have never had any signs of mice. Neighbor has their TT 6 spots over from me in same facility and they get mice every year. Maybe we are just lucky. They say they take "most" of the food out.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
We usually keep several boxes of a brand name mouse bait at several locations in and around the Motor home when it is not in use. Check them as often as possible, looking for any signs of use. If you find any being used, look for other signs of the source and try to fix or seal them.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
I see a new item called Rodent Sheriff. Good and bad reviews ??? Next try buying 6 cats, may need more if you run out of mice.
Dennis Hoppert

EV2
Explorer
Explorer
Tkotis5 wrote:
We are renting a storage unit for are new motor home how do you keep mice from getting in your rv some one told me fabric sheets and then read to put Irish spring soap open in the rv not sure what to do

You might try a search for the hundreds of past threads posted on this topic with every possible solution known to man. The only sure method is to seal EVERY possible opening.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tried em all best solution is to prevent entey. Home Depot sells rhodent proof spray foam. Buy a couple cans and spend a day sealing everything you can find. On larger openings add steel wool first. Then buy a bunch of sticky traps, add a small dab of peanut butter. You will then have done everything you can.