cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you think of thid Dealer bargaining

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
So I e-mailed interest in a coach and was told the average NADA value of mine was $80,000 and basically we could start bargaining from there. We then saw they had discounted a 2013 so we asked for numbers on it expecting difference from there average NADA price and the discounted sticker. In six days my coach lost $29,000 of value. Needless to say we walked. Below is the explanation. Thought it would interest some.

At $119,677 discounted price from $151,780 List Price I have zero mark up to give an
over allowance on your trade in. The NADA figures I sent to you are retail numbers on the Vista 30T. We go by the wholesale numbers once I discount all my profit out. Your trade in value is $51,000 leaving a trade difference of $68,677.
35 REPLIES 35

gone2dadesert
Explorer
Explorer
Have you considered buying the coach at the discounted price and selling your coach private party or via consignment? (If you are firm on the NADA value of your trade)
2011 Hurricane 31J
2008 Jeep JK Unlimited Rubicon

RckyMtnVia
Explorer
Explorer
Here are two situations, and which one is the best deal:
1. New rv at $150,000 your trade in $100,000.
2. New rv at $115,000 your trade in $70,000.

Number 2 is the best deal, because you pay $45,000. Number 1 you get more for your trade in but you pay $50,000. As said above the only number that matters is the difference between selling price and trade in. Don't get hung up on the trade in value of your rv.
2022 Forester MBS 2401B

skipole
Explorer
Explorer
Goldencrazy wrote:
skipole wrote:
Golden,

Try contacting Chisolm Trail RV in Albuquerque. The place you stopped to have your RV checked when we met. They are small but are really an up front operation. Ask for Sharron and tell her what you are looking for. Might be worth the drive out. And if they have something I could drop in and take pictures for you. (I don't get a commission.) :B

Skipole

Chisolm Trail RV

Thanks Ski. We aren't overly motivated. We love what we have. Thought a bit more room might be nice and had some money burning a hole in my pocket so we looked around to see what was available and saw the 2013 but no deal there. The 33C has some drawbacks when slides are in it is very tight. RonDeb who had a 30W and traded for a 33C removed the couch and replaced with 2 recliners and that worked for them. They like their 33C very much so I thought I would give it look. Looks like we will willingly stay with this as it gives us everything we want. What are you running in your bags these days? By the way I had a leak in my rear bags valve stem coming to Florida and made most of the trip with no air in rear bags. It was not like having air but very doable. Fixed that and now loving the ride again.

We stopped at Kelderman last year and they checked out the system for us. They recommend you set them by ride height and it ended up with 35#DF 40#PF and 60#Rear to get their recommended 7" height. They said rear can be anything you want to make ride comfortable but recommended the front settings the way the are for handling. Noticed a major improvement when set their way.

Ski
2017 Winnebago Fuse 23T

Hikerdogs
Explorer
Explorer
Regardless of what you think of this particular dealer I doubt you're ever going to find one that will give you their absolute bottom price the first time you talk to them.

Generally the person trying to trade something in believes their unit is the best one ever made and should command the highest trade in price. The dealer on the other hand has seen so many of these "cream puffs" turn into nightmares they're going to offer the least amount they have to. That's where the negotiating process begins.

You have to go into the negotiations with a realistic price as to what your unit is worth. That involves research as to what dealers are asking for similar units, and what they are actually selling for. Along with that you need to know what the unit you are trying to buy is worth. An asking price is just that. The selling price may be something totally different.

Don't be offended by what you perceive the dealers attitude to be. It shouldn't be an emotional experience. It's all about making a deal both you and the seller can live with.
Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
olfarmer wrote:
Goldencrazy wrote:
Just to update, this morning I got call reducing the difference by 10,000 dollars. Said he read the book wrong. Then got call reducing more and said the NADA book was wrong and had been recalled. Obviously there will be no deal.

Sounds like he keeps coming down, might get to a good deal yet! But, if it is not what you want it doesn't matter. :W

You are correct. Sometimes the best thing is the negotiations no matter how offensive it can be as for some dealers it is based on deception and manipulation of the buyer. As you can tell I prefer the more direct and honest approach where the final negotiations is done over smaller chunks of money with both parties having to give a bit more than they wanted. In this case we may have been a bit too eager as we started to consider the down sides of the new moho and the upsides of our current motorhome. Had he made his current offer on Sunday I think we would have closed by the end of business and my wallet would be lighter and the hassle of moving from one motorhome to another pending as we are currently traveling in the south. Maybe a good lesson here. Walk away for a few days before you sign to consider if you really want to do this deal.

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Goldencrazy wrote:
Just to update, this morning I got call reducing the difference by 10,000 dollars. Said he read the book wrong. Then got call reducing more and said the NADA book was wrong and had been recalled. Obviously there will be no deal.

Sounds like he keeps coming down, might get to a good deal yet! But, if it is not what you want it doesn't matter. :W
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
It is so confusing looking at all the numbers from NADA, Dealers, MSRP, asking price and real life price when it comes to RVs. I am looking for a used MH now and the most I found is that the asking price is rarely low NADA retail, pretty hard to say how much a dealer is ready to go.

The best I found was to look at many of the same RV for sale for many months and then figured a price I would be willing to pay for that RV. I guess if you figure what your's is worth on the market, reduce the price for a mark up for the dealer, then no more than 30% for his new one.

From my very limited experience, It was fairly easy to take 10% from the asking price for 2 used RV from 2 different dealers, and that was without seeing the RV at the dealer and they offered to lower it some more after a few talks. So If they are willing to loose 10% from their asking it would means to me they paid 20 to 25% or more less. I would check the asking price for the same RV as mine, take off 20% for trade in value and not pay more than 30% less than MSRP for new. It sure probalby depends on how popular is your actual RV.

For a previous year / new RV, I do not think it will loose another 20% like it is when you drive out the yard. I would say minus 30% from MSRP then another maybe 5 to 10% less.
Monaco Cayman 34 2003, Cummins 300HP
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
RVUSA wrote:
Cant have it for free you know.

What a stupid insulting comment. I haven't gotten much sympathy but most were respectful.

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
skipole wrote:
Golden,

Try contacting Chisolm Trail RV in Albuquerque. The place you stopped to have your RV checked when we met. They are small but are really an up front operation. Ask for Sharron and tell her what you are looking for. Might be worth the drive out. And if they have something I could drop in and take pictures for you. (I don't get a commission.) :B

Skipole

Chisolm Trail RV

Thanks Ski. We aren't overly motivated. We love what we have. Thought a bit more room might be nice and had some money burning a hole in my pocket so we looked around to see what was available and saw the 2013 but no deal there. The 33C has some drawbacks when slides are in it is very tight. RonDeb who had a 30W and traded for a 33C removed the couch and replaced with 2 recliners and that worked for them. They like their 33C very much so I thought I would give it look. Looks like we will willingly stay with this as it gives us everything we want. What are you running in your bags these days? By the way I had a leak in my rear bags valve stem coming to Florida and made most of the trip with no air in rear bags. It was not like having air but very doable. Fixed that and now loving the ride again.

skipole
Explorer
Explorer
Golden,

Skipole

Chisolm Trail RV
2017 Winnebago Fuse 23T

RVUSA
Explorer
Explorer
Cant have it for free you know.

bigdogger
Explorer
Explorer
The dealer here was basically stuck in a situation where they had no good options from the start. If they had told you the actual wholesale/trade-in value of your trade up front, you most likely would have just moved on to another dealer to begin with. Then you chose to look at a year old model that the dealer is obviously discounting near the maximum because it is time for the 2013s to be gone since the 2015s are mere months away. As others have said, and you agree, you need to decide what figure is worth it to you to trade. If you can get that figure fine, if not, that is not the dealers fault. All the other figures are just attempts to lure you in to see if that actual transaction figure can met.

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
kab449 wrote:
From experience a good guideline on the true value of your coach to a dealer is this: MSRP new minus 30% is what you should pay when buying new. The coach will lose 20% when you drive it off the lot. 30% more in 5 years. After 5 years it is worth half of what you paid. The rest will dwindle away in another 10 years or less if you don't take care of it.

Pretty much my guideline. My coach is two years old and $137,000 new. I have 10 grand of add ons and understand they may not have value but sat dish, steering stabilizer, trac bar and Kelderman air ride so they can't hurt the value. When I was suckered by price reduction I was offered 51,000. I felt like bait and switch with the original value of 80,000. No big deal and even though this dealer was owners close to your numbers apparently many posters think it was ok. Not people I deal with and I have done this 4 times with RV's and a whole lot more. By the way his price-one I write check for- was higher than for a 2014. Too many compromises for the money. We will order what we want next fall from a dealer I know and will be straight with me win/win. I guess I also did not understand that when a coach price was reduced because it was last years model that I would pay the sam thing for it when it was full price because they reduced my trade value by a similar amount. I thought that both prices were retail but apparently when they reduce the price it becomes wholesale. They advertised price reduced and it wasn't. Of course if I have no trade then the price was reduced. All seemed strange to me but apparently not to others.

kab449
Explorer
Explorer
From experience a good guideline on the true value of your coach to a dealer is this: MSRP new minus 30% is what you should pay when buying new. The coach will lose 20% when you drive it off the lot. 30% more in 5 years. After 5 years it is worth half of what you paid. The rest will dwindle away in another 10 years or less if you don't take care of it.
2017 Heartland Bighorn 3160Elite/2017 F250 Lariat Ultimate
2018 Coachmen Galleria 24Q Class B Mercedes Van
Keith & Brenda
Marley the Maltese
Central PA