cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

what happens when you take the dealers word

DraginRat
Explorer
Explorer
I suppose I should have expected as much, but I got really, really stupid, and a bit lazy, and now, I am paying the price.

We recently purchased a 2002 Holiday Rambler Imperial from one of those dealers that does a lot of consignment sales. I won't mention names because I really don't want to get into a discussion of the merits or lack thereof of this particular dealer.

Anyway, we made an offer and accepted the owners counter offer. To be precise, it was $60,000 which at the time, we thought was a good price. Its a 41 foot 370 cummins ISL, and cosmetically, looks great.

Dealer had a long list of all the things they check and report on.

After we had a tentative deal, they informed us that the water system, the leveling system, the generator, the generator slide, the engine and the large slide out had issues. They said they talked to the owner, and informed her that it was her responsibility to make the repairs. She told them she would pay to have the coach taken to Cummins to have the engine and generator looked at since it was beyond the dealers ability to deal with.

When the coach was at the Cummins place, it was discovered that there wasn't anything wrong with either the engine, or the generator. The dealer simply didn't know what they were doing. (This should have been a heads up for me, but.........)

So with the engine and generator taken care of, it would cost $7,500.00 to replace the known bad parts of the leveling system, generator slide, and the water system, but that did not mean that any of these systems would actually work. The owner opted to offer us an additional $10,000.00 to deal with the issues ourselves. I was ready to walk at this point, but Peg really wanted this coach, so I took another look.

They wanted $2,5000.00 to replace the control box for the leveling system, but thought that one of the leveling pistons may be damaged, so wouldn't guarantee it. The water system was going to cost $1,500.00 to replace the Manablock, but again, didn't know if there was any other damage, so no guarantee. The hydraulic piston for the generator slide was going to cost another $1,800.00, with more of the same.

I am really wanting to walk at this point, but after some research, decided I could do most of the work for a lot less than the dealer was asking.

I didn't know anything about the leveling system at the time, so we decided to let them replace the control box and hope there was no further damage. I found a replacement Manablock online for $130.00 with free shipping. This is the same part they wanted $1,500.00 plus $150.00 shipping and a 3 week wait. I found a cylinder for the generator slide for less than $200.00 for the part they wanted $1,800.00, $150.00 shipping, and who knows when it will get here.

So, we told them to go ahead and order the control box for the leveling system. We got a "deal" on that. Only $2,200.00 for the part, and $120.00 shipping, and it only took 8 days to get it. This is for the same part I later found for less than $500.00 and $30.00 shipping.

Now, backing up a bit. The day we closed on the coach, was the third day of a three day thunder storm. We towed our fifth wheel trade in to the dealer, and discovered that we had to pull it through about 300 feet of pond they jokingly called their drive way. While we are coming in, one of their "techs" is leaving, and had a fun time splashing lots of dirty water onto the exterior of the fifth wheel. Then, during their inspection of our trade in, they had the audacity to tell me the unit was dirty. I will admit that our trade in was old, and both the interior and exterior showed it's age, but everything worked like new. Had a generator, solar panels, brand new 12 gal gas/ac water heater, four door fridge, and island kitchen. They lowered their offer from $12,000.00 to $7,000.00. At this point, I did walk, but they raised their offer to $10,000.00 for our trade in, and I got stupid again and accepted.

After the part for the leveling system arrived and was installed, I was informed it was working just fine. One of the pistons might stick from time to time, but no big deal. So, we took delivery and motored happily down the road.

When we arrived home after a short 20ish mile trip, the leveling system wasn't working. After crawling under it the next day, I discovered that all the air lines from the rear manifold had been cut. This is not something that might have happened on the way home, and the leveling system had been screwed up something royal. There is no way in Hell that this system had worked for a long time, and furthermore, the leveling system was part of the air suspension, and there are no pistons to stick, or be damaged.

OK, so I am totally aware that I screwed up buying this thing. Totally my fault. I should have crawled under it before I took delivery, but it was raining, lots of water on the driveway and such, but still, my responsibility.

My issue with the dealer is that they are either totally incompetent, or lying out their ass. I should have picked up on it, when they didn't know how to start the generator, or what the engine light meant. I should have known when they wanted to park and drop our trade-in, and the tech didn't know how to lower the landing gear, or open the fifth wheel lock. I should have known when they tried to tell me the on board propane powered generator was leaking diesel fuel. I should have known when they wanted $7,500.00 for parts and shipping for things I could get for less than a $1,000.00 without really trying.

After all is said and done, we still feel this is going to work out for us. I got the manablock installed, and no further damage to the water system. I can open and close the generator slide manually for the time being. I need to replumb the leveling system, but assuming no further damage, that should be do-able for under $100.00. There are a number of minor issues I need to address, but I have the time, and ability to correct them. Meanwhile, we have a pretty nice motorhome and plan on doing a lot of traveling with it. We bought it to make traveling easier than dragging that big fifth wheel around.

Sorry it got so long, but I just needed to vent a bit. My bad, I know

Ken Gasbarri
23 REPLIES 23

peaches_cream
Explorer
Explorer
WTD44 wrote:
You usually get screwed...

WHERE AND WHEN?

WTD44
Explorer
Explorer
You usually get screwed...
'07 H.R. Scepter > P A Q
Cummins 400 ISL
Alison 6 speed World
08 CR-V
Wife and,
Sparky the Wonder Dog

DraginRat
Explorer
Explorer
Well, after about a week in our "new" coach, we still are overall happy with it. We've owned it longer than that, but spent a couple weeks around Thanksgiving sponging off the kids. Never thought the girls would ever learn to cook, but they did. All things considered, we did get a better deal than we originally agreed to.

We got the $10,000.00 concession from the owner, and doing most of the work ourselves, saved most of that money. I did agree to allow the agent to replace the control box for the leveling system at about $2,500.00, but we have less than $300.00 invested in the other issues, with the exception of the generator slide. I am thinking the parts for that may cost as much as $500.00. The cylinder and lock valve are missing, and the pump looks a bit suspicious, so who knows. As often as I open the slide, I can live with doing it manually for awhile.

Oh, and this may be a familiar situation to some, but with all the cabinets, closets, and storage bays on this thing, seems Peg has found something to fill each and every one, and had to go "emergency shopping" only two or three times. She did go with one of the girls each time, so she had help.

OK, gotta go

Ken Gasbarri

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
Actually, you didn't even buy from a "dealer". You bought from a "consignment sales agent". That's a double "be careful" warning sign.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
Sell it for whatever you can get and get away from THAT coach and THAT dealer
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

the_silverback
Explorer
Explorer
Buyer beware!! No, be aware.
the silverback
2015 crossroads Rushmore 5th wheel

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
jwmII wrote:
I can't say it enough. Stay off of r.v. dealer lots. They will take every cent they can from you and not look back and they won't know you after the sale. Plus their junk is always grossly over priced.

While in most cases you are right but my 08 Bounder I bought from a California dealer 18 months ago was a good deal, nothing has gone wrong as of yet, fair price, no dealer add on fees and good interest rate and a easy going place to deal with, cant say that about the car dealers here in Vegas, always looking to steal from you at every turn.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Ken, thanks for venting it makes you feel better! Yes, the dealer and the owner were not forthcoming and that makes things difficult! That is not your fault! But it's the coach that you two wanted and with your ability to wheel and deal online for parts and, your ability fix things yourself you are going to end up with a nice coach after fixing the last owners messes. Good Luck to you my friend.

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, I still advocate that all things considered, you can get much better information from this forum than just about any RV Salesperson/Dealer. There might be an exception or two, but for the most part, if you carefully weed through the posts on this Forum, you'll get some darned good information and consensus.

A couple of years after we bought our rig, I remember going to one of the rather large RV shows in our area. I was in one rig, on a Ford chassis, and a salesman was trying to convince a prospective buyer of how the Ford chassis was superior to the Workhorse. Another gentleman (I'm guessing a manager) joined in extolling the virtues of the Ford chassis over the Workhorse.

About 10 minutes later, I had made it to another one of their units, this one on a Workhorse chassis. Well I'll be gosh-darned if the salesman in that unit was extolling the virtues of the Workhorse chassis over the Ford. Lo and behold, who joins in on the conversation stating that the Workhorse was far superior, but the same gentleman I had seen just a few minutes earlier convincing someone else that the Ford was better.

I had to contain myself from just laughing out loud. And to be honest, I don't think I did. ๐Ÿ™‚

By the way, that was the same RV show where I got to meet Bob Tiffin (at a different dealership). That, in itself, was quite a thrill and well worth the price of admission to the show. He is NOT the average RV spokesperson. A true gentleman. But I digress...

The salespeople will sell what they have to to keep their jobs. Can't blame them for that, but don't take what they tell you as factual. It might be, but then again, it might not be.

Do your own research, off of the RV lots!

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
We had a salesman tell us that the rig we were looking at had "an emaciator". :S I told him I could stand to lose a few pounds but wasn't that desperate. We didn't buy the rig.

jwmII
Explorer
Explorer
I can't say it enough. Stay off of r.v. dealer lots. They will take every cent they can from you and not look back and they won't know you after the sale. Plus their junk is always grossly over priced.
jwmII

gsf35099
Explorer
Explorer
Ken, sounds like you're capable of fixing all the issues and that y'all really like the RV. Enjoy the New Class A & may you have many memorable trips!!
2005 Damon Astoria 3679
300 Cummins ISB 5.9, Allison auto 5 speed

Life is to short not to have a good time and enjoy!!!

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
DraginRat wrote:

After we had a tentative deal, they informed us that the water system, the leveling system, the generator, the generator slide, the engine and the large slide out had issues. They said they talked to the owner, and informed her that it was her responsibility to make the repairs. She told them she would pay to have the coach taken to Cummins to have the engine and generator looked at since it was beyond the dealers ability to deal with.

Ken Gasbarri

I hope your new motorhome works out well but if I was told of these many issues from the dealer I would have said nope this is not the right motorhome and moved on.

Billinwoodland
Explorer
Explorer
Dragin, thanks for posting this. We are still shopping for our first A. These kind of posts keep me "on guard." And I always have to remind the DW that these salesmen are not our friends. She gets a warm and fuzzy feeling from these friendly commission salesmen, especially when they pull out the free baseball caps!

Reminds me of a story my friend tells, he was discussing a used coach with a salesman and he turned to the salesman and said something like, "I was born on a Sunday but not last Sunday, don't try to sell snow to an Eskimo." His wife said, "Perry, you are going to hurt his feelings," which he replied in front of the salesman, "he's a salesman, he doesn't have feelings."
2008 Monaco Monarch 34 sbd