cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What I learned about new big DPs at the Tampa RV show.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's been a while since I've been to a RV show. O M Goodness, I thought Prevost and Newell DPs were the only ones on the heavy side with 365/70/22.5 tires... NOT. There were even Newmar Dutch Stars with 365s, not just the Mountain Airs with 365s. 54,000 GVWR and 8K of CCC = 46,000 dry weight with a front axle pushing 20K lbs. The pressure needed for the 365s on the front was listed at 125 psi, the 315s on the drive at 85, and the tag at 115. At least Tiffin has moved the fuel tank to in front of the drive axle letting them use 305s all the way around.

The majority of the big rigs were bath and a half which I do not understand taking up that much area for something we do not use that much... different strokes for...... There were also too many with not only dark exteriors but dark interiors... not that I'm looking to buy plus the show prices were all $400K or more.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...
43 REPLIES 43

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
We full-timed 8 of our years in a one-bath 40' Dutch Star without any issues. I honestly can't recall any time that we both had the 'urge' at the same time to need two bathrooms even though we're old. :)Previous to that was 8 years in a 33' 5th wheel - one bath.

Honestly, we would never buy one of the new RVs now because of the décor, floorplans and price. They don't fit our way of RVing - public parks. Everyone is different, for sure... and that's o.k.

The manufacturers are building these monsters because people buy them and want all the gadgets they have in their homes. I really hate to see younger couples buying them and going into debt because they think they can't RV without all those gadgets.

We had no problem with our one bath old coach, but just like having slide rooms these days and not many wanting to purchase those without, I predict that the same will happen with larger, one bath coaches, not too far down the road.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
Mile High wrote:
ya-ya-ya - We were always happy with 1 bathroom, now we are happy with two. We were always happy with no slides, now we are happy with slides. We were always happy with a tent and Jeep, now we are happy with a couple of tents in the slide out tray below and the Jeep in tow. We were always happy with navy blue and mauve interior with oak and brass, now we are delighted with brushed nickel, maple and tile.

Point is - why couch grumble about what other folks like and buy and their finances because you didn't buy that way. The market dictates the manufacturing, not the other way around. There should be a motorhome for everybody.
Just remember the more you push down the road the less fuel milage you'll get.

Surely you're not of the misconception that MPG is a significant factor in the overall cost of ownership and especially if compared to the depreciation per mile.
Best way to save on fuel, which translates into having some extra money to pay for it, is to stay at Wally World, on occasion.
Having said that, bells and whistles will always sell and most of us wouldn't be satisfied with a Model T as a DD, anymore.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
timjet wrote:
I went to the Supershow on Wednesday and plan on going today with the DW. I looked at Class A's mostly 40 footers because that's our size interest. I did see some coaches with dark interiors and that wouldn't be my choice either but when buying new you have lots of choices so order the color you want.

The new ones have lots of bling, it looks cool and that's what sells. Entry level 40' DP's are selling for very low 200's, and they look good. Cabinetry work ain't bad, I didn't see any pressboard cabinets but the drawers all had exposed plywood ends. But even the Phaeton's and Dutch Star's had that.

I can see why these entry level DP's are so popular. At first glance they look just about as good as a mid level unit and cost $150,000 less. I don't think I saw any new Class A with carpet throughout. They've all gone to tile.

I like the 1.5 bath floor plan. In a 45' coach they all seem to have them. The salon and galley area can only be so big so you gotta use that extra footage somewhere. Like previously mentioned I saw some with 2 baths, even in coaches less than 40 ft. The entry level manufactures seem to be more creative with their floorplans or perhaps the mid level unit builders are more conctious of weight distribution.

It's what I call the WOW factor in the entry level units and whereas your attention is directed to a monster TV, with a fireplace under. Many don't care about, engine size, the chassis, side or rear radiator or quality of workmanship throughout, that one can't always see.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
ya-ya-ya - We were always happy with 1 bathroom, now we are happy with two. We were always happy with no slides, now we are happy with slides. We were always happy with a tent and Jeep, now we are happy with a couple of tents in the slide out tray below and the Jeep in tow. We were always happy with navy blue and mauve interior with oak and brass, now we are delighted with brushed nickel, maple and tile.

Point is - why couch grumble about what other folks like and buy and their finances because you didn't buy that way. The market dictates the manufacturing, not the other way around. There should be a motorhome for everybody.

I'm even betting that if you're old enough, you were happy with a snowy picture black and white tv, as well or maybe with even having a tv.
Sounds like us and like most, we're not going back, no matter how happy we might have been in that 14ft. TT with the ice box, a hand pump for the galley sink, no hot water and one gas light.
No heat and certainly no ac.

timjet
Explorer
Explorer
I went to the Supershow on Wednesday and plan on going today with the DW. I looked at Class A's mostly 40 footers because that's our size interest. I did see some coaches with dark interiors and that wouldn't be my choice either but when buying new you have lots of choices so order the color you want.

The new ones have lots of bling, it looks cool and that's what sells. Entry level 40' DP's are selling for very low 200's, and they look good. Cabinetry work ain't bad, I didn't see any pressboard cabinets but the drawers all had exposed plywood ends. But even the Phaeton's and Dutch Star's had that.

I can see why these entry level DP's are so popular. At first glance they look just about as good as a mid level unit and cost $150,000 less. I don't think I saw any new Class A with carpet throughout. They've all gone to tile.

I like the 1.5 bath floor plan. In a 45' coach they all seem to have them. The salon and galley area can only be so big so you gotta use that extra footage somewhere. Like previously mentioned I saw some with 2 baths, even in coaches less than 40 ft. The entry level manufactures seem to be more creative with their floorplans or perhaps the mid level unit builders are more conctious of weight distribution.
Tampa Bay
'07 American Tradition Cummins ISL
'14 Honda CRV

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
We won't be buying anything. Going to enjoy what we have and use what money we have for travel,unless we win the Lottery.
I asked on Maufacturer why they didn't put a skylight in the coaches.
The next year they had big mostly oval mirrors and lights surrounding it.
Certainly battery capacity and generator capacity is way more than adequate for better lighting but still I like the idea of a sky light with still plenty of lighting for nights. Going down the road a little darker interior, than outside helps with vision, well they can peut a powered shade under it like a Ford Edge or others.
Black is not mine nor many others choices for interior but it hides broom handle wood grain real well and particle board too.
I like mahogany or reddish leather and light colored ceilings walls and shades, of walnut cabinetry, not so much for blonde maple and cheap joints and staples.
I know their Designers did not come from the school, of dreary closets.
So it must be the price of goods or more likely good salesmen with a warehouses of back and dreary they need to clear out from the days of heavy metal.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:

Just remember the more you push down the road the less fuel milage you'll get.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer

2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We full-timed 8 of our years in a one-bath 40' Dutch Star without any issues. I honestly can't recall any time that we both had the 'urge' at the same time to need two bathrooms even though we're old. :)Previous to that was 8 years in a 33' 5th wheel - one bath.

Honestly, we would never buy one of the new RVs now because of the décor, floorplans and price. They don't fit our way of RVing - public parks. Everyone is different, for sure... and that's o.k.

The manufacturers are building these monsters because people buy them and want all the gadgets they have in their homes. I really hate to see younger couples buying them and going into debt because they think they can't RV without all those gadgets.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
It's been a while since I've been to a RV show. O M Goodness, I thought Prevost and Newell DPs were the only ones on the heavy side with 365/70/22.5 tires... NOT. There were even Newmar Dutch Stars with 365s, not just the Mountain Airs with 365s. 54,000 GVWR and 8K of CCC = 46,000 dry weight with a front axle pushing 20K lbs. The pressure needed for the 365s on the front was listed at 125 psi, the 315s on the drive at 85, and the tag at 115. At least Tiffin has moved the fuel tank to in front of the drive axle letting them use 305s all the way around.

The majority of the big rigs were bath and a half which I do not understand taking up that much area for something we do not use that much... different strokes for...... There were also too many with not only dark exteriors but dark interiors... not that I'm looking to buy plus the show prices were all $400K or more.

I might say that with our 1 1/2 bath, that rear main bath area also contains most of the cabinetry for our clothes and the laundry basket, as well, so once inside, you can complete the process of showering and changing without coming back out into the bedroom. It also doubles as the laundry room, so this large space is not only needed, but most welcome and would be a deal breaker without it. Not only that, if someone else should have a need, there's another one in the hall. DW also likes having her own overhead cabinet and is up early doing things in the galley, while the BR door remains shut.
I think soon, all large coach sales, will be predominately 1 1/2 or two full baths. I've even seen gas puller's, under 40ft, with two full baths.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
ncrowley wrote:

I totally agree. Why use ceramic tile when they are other flooring choices that are lighter and not prone to cracking? Why these dark paint colors when most people RV when it is hot and not when it is cold? Why all the fancy stuff without enough substance?

There should be a MH out there for everybody. I prefer my ceramic tile to my previous vinyl tile, and my Corian countertops to my prior fiberglass.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
ncrowley wrote:

I totally agree. Why use ceramic tile when they are other flooring choices that are lighter and not prone to cracking? Why these dark paint colors when most people RV when it is hot and not when it is cold? Why all the fancy stuff without enough substance?

aqua heat in the sub floor doesn't work with rugs.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:

Today's new coach's are weight pigs compared to years ago. The obvious reasons are the bigger & deeper slides, full tile floors, res fridge with more batts, exhaust after treatment & a 15 gal DEF tank. Even then today's Dutch Star is 44' long & 13' tall. Some new units today listed as 42' floor plans are actually as big or heavier than some older 45' units.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
vector wrote:
We have been disappointed as we shop around at what we consider the glitz and glam of the new RVs. You'd think by now the industry would wake up to the needs of RV buyers that want a light, bright interior, well thought out, with room in the passageways for people to easily move about. Forget those dark interiors with little natural light. Some of these coaches, especially in the back bedrooms, are like caves. Slide arrangements that allow for access to some of the closets and storage while the slides are pulled in are better. Modest furnishings and appointments with weight savings as a consideration (ever lift a box of ceramic tile at the home improvement store?) are pluses. Add in an adequately sized galley countertops, easy access for service and repair of mechanical systems, a chassis that will handle decently without spending a fortune on aftermarket suspension components, a realistic cargo carrying capacity, and competent craftsmanship during the manufacturing process. Just MHO.

Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
DSDP Don wrote:
The bath and a half models are built out of necessity, not vanity. Most people now prefer a large rear bath. RV's went from all in one baths to split baths and now the trend is full rear baths. When you build a coach with a rear bath, the toilet can't be accessed while driving. Consequently, the need for the half bath.

Bingo! That is one of the primary reasons for the 1/2 bath. Incidentally, you should ask to see any RV you are considering with the slides retracted. We ruled out a couple of models based on this when shopping for our new RV. We had to consider placement of dog crates and access to the bath, refrigerator and cooking facilities with slides in.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!