cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What's the best bang for my 20k?

Safari360
Explorer
Explorer
I am overwhelmed and need some expert advice on the best RV I can get for 20K cash or less. There are too many options in the used market to wrap my little brain around. We (us two) are hitting the road full-time at the end of summer, and are super excited to start working on a rig, so I am trying to buy an one now. So many models and configurations. I am looking for a diesel pusher class A in the 30 to 35 foot range that is self-contained. I simply want to know what is the best built makes and models that could provide near trouble-free operation. I know it is a tall order for the money, but any support is appreciated. Thanks.

Dave
76 REPLIES 76

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:

Of course, I suggest you pull the trigger and accept that the first bus you buy won't be the only bus you buy. I see your first post was almost a year ago. Personally, I couldn't think about something I wanted to do for that long ๐Ÿ™‚

(Sorry... off topic).

That's funny as I read about motorhomes for 7 yrs. before we bought. During that time, we rented a class C and two class A's. I didn't want to make a mistake as I always read to buy your third motorhome first as not to waste money making the wrong decision.

So, in January 2007, we ordered a 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42, ft, 425 Cummins, 4 slides. We drove it happily for 7.5 yrs. and now are moving to our last coach that should last us 20 yrs. as we'll be in our 70's/early 80's by then.

I decided last year (2013) around May that I wanted to move up to a new coach and started my research. I knew it was going to be a Newell or a Prevost Chassis coach. Well, there are 5-6 Prevost converters with 3 of them doing most of the conversions. So, I had to read everything that I could get my hands on as I wanted to pick the right converter. We ordered in March of 2014.

The rest is history as after 7 months of converting, our new coach will be ready in two weeks.

But, no matter what price range that a person is looking, think how you are going to use the coach and consider all maintenance costs. Then have fun!

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Last year we bought the Green Machine as our starter bus. All in after a few repairs and a new mattress was about $15k. It's a 1995 28' Monterey Cobra gasser (Chevy 454/P30 chassis) with almost new tires that we found locally on Craig's List. No slides, no jacks, no frills. Just what I expected for the money. We wanted to get in cheap to make sure we wanted to do this. I can do most of the routine maintenance myself and there's an excellent RV shop a couple of miles from my house where I can store the rig when not on the road.

We've done mostly 3-4 day trips over the year, with one 2 week adventure to Hatteras. During that time, we started compiling a must-haves for MH #2 and are currently watching rvt.com, rvtrader.com and craigslist for a late 90s Safari DP. We had sliders on the must-have list but we found that with some intelligent interior design, such as with the Safaris, they're not really required. After a year of having the engine between our seats and needing to shout at each other when the clutch fan kicked in, we added DP to our must-haves.

Of course, I suggest you pull the trigger and accept that the first bus you buy won't be the only bus you buy. I see your first post was almost a year ago. Personally, I couldn't think about something I wanted to do for that long ๐Ÿ™‚
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

tinkerer
Explorer
Explorer
Just remember that there is a reason they are priced under $20,000. If you are handy at fixing things you might be ok, but if you have to hire all of the fixing it could end up being a major money pit;)

guardrail53
Explorer
Explorer
For your budget, I would be looking at Holiday Rambler, they are made very well, have aluminum sides, and roof, so no delamination problems! I just bought a 1996 HR Vacationer, 32' 454 Chevy, no slides, very well taken care of, lots of upgrades, new tires, brakes, air bags, on and on! I paid 11,900, for it! The bottom line is, finding the one that fits your needs! Everyone has their opinion on what is right for them! You have to decide what is right for you! Searching for the right one is half the fun! When you find one you are considering, go to nada/rv.com and put it in with the options it has, and that will give you a reference point! You can do advanced search on rvt.com or rvtrader.com sites, or go to craigslist, in the specific areas you want to look, and set your limits. Have fun! when you find the right one, you will know!
1996 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 32', 454 FI, 4 sp. auto.

Squealers
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 99 National SeaBreeze with the Triton V10. I think that was the first year for the Triton. Apparently they had posted issues with exhaust manifolds cracking as well as the spark plugs had issues with threading, and they would occasionally throw a plug.

In the 4 years we owned the SeaBreeze, we never had a single problem with the Triton (70K Miles)...we did have significant issues with the Dana rear end and wheel seals, costing us $$$$$$$. Good luck, I am not up to speed with the Gulfstream of that era, but I am sure someone here will chime in.
2006 Four Winds Hurricane 34N
2014 Jeep Cherokee 4X4 Toad

USAF Veteran. 75-81 SAC "Giant Talk" ATC-
Combat Crew Communications

Squealers = Steelers & Arkansas Razorbacks Fan

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I would not want a 1999 v-10. It had issues with the spark plugs blowing out of the holes.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Safari360
Explorer
Explorer
I'm back to ask for specific advice on some class A gassers. We pushed back our departure to March, so it afforded me some extra time. I am still holding to the same budget of 20k for the initial purchase, with a budget for repairs, if needed. I changed my mind away from a diesel pusher based on all of the feedback here. I have been looking for a late 90's Bounder, finding some nice 99's in 34' and the 27T.

I just saw a 1999 Sunsport by Gulfstream 32ft class A (double slides) - $16900. It has a Triton V-10. I like that it has two slides (yes, I understand the trade-offs as they have been pointed out). I am wondering if anyone knows about this model. I have to assume with the price and two slides that it was not the best constructed, but I thought I would ask just in case it is. 35k miles.

Any other advice on a class A gasser that is well built, and that we could comfortably live in for a year traveling around the west coast, parking for a couple of weeks at a time, then moving a couple hundred miles and doing it again...would be appreciated. Make, model, year so I can look up on CL and RV Trader. We will buy now and fix it up for a few months if we find a good deal. Thanks all.

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
For the price you are not going to get much and will be frustrated and need to spend more. You should be looking at a gas class C where you will get the most bang for your buck and cheaper maintenance including tire replacement.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi mena,

But then--you camp here! boondocking (and Season's greetings to you)

mena661 wrote:
Most of the places we camp at would have no problem with a 35 ft.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
Safari360 wrote:
Hi Ohhwell, I decided that 30' is just too small. I have had a few people tell me that it should not be difficult to get into parks with a 35 footer, which is the direction I am going. Thanks for the info.
Most of the places we camp at would have no problem with a 35 ft.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
JimM68 wrote:

The next time we plan a trip west, I will reserve one of those 4 sites.
Note the website for arches says this campground is 30" max.

Can't fit much in that:R
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
our first was a 36, our current is a forty.
Last time we were out west, we went to moab, hooked up with the camp host in arches national park while out in our jeep. I drove around with him in his golfcart for a bit, and I have a brochure in my posession with 4 sites marked off where our 40ft 4 slide DP will fit. At the campground at the top of the mountain inside arches national park.

Sometimes you just gotta get out there.

The next time we plan a trip west, I will reserve one of those 4 sites.
Note the website for arches says this campground is 30" max.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

Safari360
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Ohhwell, I decided that 30' is just too small. I have had a few people tell me that it should not be difficult to get into parks with a 35 footer, which is the direction I am going. Thanks for the info.

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
OhhWell wrote:
Effy wrote:
It's a decent down payment on a new coach with a warranty.

Oh no... why did you have to throw that in to the mix.... :S

He's obviously set on buying outright. No need to add the New vs Used argument.

Doesn't every post like this turn into Gasser vs DP, new vs old debate? ๐Ÿ™‚

In all seriousness to the OP, do a search based on your prince point and find one you like, do some research on price, condition comparbles etc and check it out. This can be a long process. Some of us spent years trying to find right MH. Then after buying the perfect RV, traded for one we really wanted after we figured out what we really wanted. Point being, there is no right answer.
2013 ACE 29.2