cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What's the best "Diesel" rewards credit card to get

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
I'd like to apply for a new gas card or credit card that will offer the best cash, discounts, or reward points possible.

Since I'm fulltiming, I'd expect to use a lot of diesel gas and I don't mind patronizing Loves or Flying J to get the best deal, but I've noticed that Loves claims to have 330 locations and Pilot / Flying J claims to have 550 locations. My travels so far look like Loves has more locations, but I guess it's my travel pattern which will change.

It costs me about $700 to fill my tank at current prices plus filling up the toad. We plan to travel extensively for the next two years.

Has anyone done the research lately and come up with some good options?
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`
30 REPLIES 30

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
BobGed wrote:
I carry both the PFJ Frequent Fueler card and the RV Plus Charge card. For the past few years I have been primarily going to the RV pumps and using the Frequent Fueler card to get a .03 discount, and then paying with my PenFed 5% rebate card. As far as I can remember the purchase was processed as a cash transaction. If the RV lanes were too crowded or inaccessible, I would use my RV Plus card at the truck pumps and get .08ยข off the case price. In both cases I would swipe at the pump and never had to go inside.

I understand the Frequent Fueler card is being replaced with the Swipe & Save card.

If I understand PFJ's program now anytime you use a credit card the purchase will be processed at the credit card price. From PFJ's site

So if the cash price is $3.00 and the credit price is $3.10. The transactions would break down as follows:

Using Swipe & Save and PenFed credit card at the RV pumps:
3.10 credit price
-.03 Swipe & Save discount
3.07 Sub total
-.15 PenFed 5% rebate
2.92 Total

Using RV Plus Charge card at the truck pumps:
3.00 cash price
-.08 GS discount
2.92 Total

Looks like I will be using the truck pumps all the time now, which I can usually get into quicker, fuel faster with larger nozzles and not get blocked in when I'm done fueling.

12/24/14 update. I have a correction to make to the above, at least for the time being. I just completed a trip from AL to NV. At my first PFJ fuel stop I decided to see what price (cash or credit) I would be charged if using my Frequent Fueler card and paying with my PenFed CC at the RV pumps. In that first stop and every subsequent one when I used my FF/PenFed cards at the RV pumps, the discount was off the cash price.

I have a feeling from what I've read on PFJ's site that the information in the link I previously posted will take effect after 1/31/15.
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
moisheh wrote:
bobged: How do you get 8 cents GS discount? It is only 4 cents unless you are a lifetime member.

Moisheh

You pretty much answered your own question. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I am a GS Lifetime member, which gives me a .08ยข discount on diesel fuel purchases. The basic GS membership gives a .06ยข discount on diesel. The .04ยข discount you mention is for gas purchases. RV Plus Card program details

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
bobged: How do you get 8 cents GS discount? It is only 4 cents unless you are a lifetime member.

Moisheh

racerchaser
Explorer
Explorer
The rules for your PenFed card usually depend on what they are/were when you got your card. Also, those rules stay in place (grandfathered) when PenFed puts new rules in place. However, just like USAA, I think that PenFed places card holders in categories depending on your status when you join. If that is true, your category could determine whether or not you are grandfathered when the rules change. For example, as a retired civil servant, I have had a PenFed card for at least 8 years and the rules for my card have never changed. I have a $5 regular account and a Rewards credit card for which I get 5% pay at the pump fuel/3% groceries/1% everything else and when I have enough points I get a $50 debit card. If you join under some other category they may change.
Fox

drewQ
Explorer
Explorer
There are a variety of credit card companies that are trying to help you save money. One way is through using card rewards. Bank of America also offers the same cards known as BankAmericard Better Balance Rewards card. Rather than rewarding consumers for spending, it pays them when they pay their bill once it is due. Read more: Credit Card Rewards.

JetAonly
Explorer
Explorer
What you want is a card that starts the pump. PFJ RVPlus card does this. The Loves card is for Commercial drivers only. Take your RVPlus card swipe it, enter the control number at the truck pumps. Fuel stops in ~20 mins and no works about size and fitting. If you are a good sam life member you get .08 off of cash price. It is a no brainer. I never go inside.
2000 Monaco Dynasty
ISC350

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
I carry both the PFJ Frequent Fueler card and the RV Plus Charge card. For the past few years I have been primarily going to the RV pumps and using the Frequent Fueler card to get a .03 discount, and then paying with my PenFed 5% rebate card. As far as I can remember the purchase was processed as a cash transaction. If the RV lanes were too crowded or inaccessible, I would use my RV Plus card at the truck pumps and get .08ยข off the case price. In both cases I would swipe at the pump and never had to go inside.

I understand the Frequent Fueler card is being replaced with the Swipe & Save card.

If I understand PFJ's program now anytime you use a credit card the purchase will be processed at the credit card price. From PFJ's site

So if the cash price is $3.00 and the credit price is $3.10. The transactions would break down as follows:

Using Swipe & Save and PenFed credit card at the RV pumps:
3.10 credit price
-.03 Swipe & Save discount
3.07 Sub total
-.15 PenFed 5% rebate
2.92 Total

Using RV Plus Charge card at the truck pumps:
3.00 cash price
-.08 GS discount
2.92 Total

Looks like I will be using the truck pumps all the time now, which I can usually get into quicker, fuel faster with larger nozzles and not get blocked in when I'm done fueling.

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
rexlion wrote:
Having all that diesel torque should be reward enough. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Just kidding, I couldn't resist.

:h
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

vegasfoodguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
DSDP Don wrote:
There is probably nothing better than the PenFed card. Last year they required you open some kind of account, other than a credit union account to keep the 5%. I opened a money market account for a $1000.00.

Not only do you get 5%, you can still use many of the other discounts with it. We refuse to use truck stops, so there is never an issue with paying at the pump.

-Pay at the pump

-5% discount

-Discount applied to bill each month

-Unlimited use

-2% on other purchasers

Don, Why do you refuse to use Truckstops? Pilot/Fj have the freshest fuel available.

Terry
Monaco Diplomat, Cummins, 38a
Toad Grand Cherokee and Jeep Wrangler, Brake Buddy.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
There is probably nothing better than the PenFed card. Last year they required you open some kind of account, other than a credit union account to keep the 5%. I opened a money market account for a $1000.00.

Not only do you get 5%, you can still use many of the other discounts with it. We refuse to use truck stops, so there is never an issue with paying at the pump.

-Pay at the pump

-5% discount

-Discount applied to bill each month

-Unlimited use

-2% on other purchasers
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Chase United Airlines. Get FF miles with every purchase. You can pay it off in 30 days with no interest. We have traveled to India and China and a few other trips with ours.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Having all that diesel torque should be reward enough. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Just kidding, I couldn't resist.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
rgatijnet1 wrote:
accsys wrote:

The only problem with the PenFed card is that fuel purchases must be charged "at the pump". That can be difficult at truck stops.

All you have to do is call PenFed and explain the situation at the pump.

Wait a minute. Are you guys telling me that to use the Penfed card at truck stops, you HAVE to call Penfed everytime???

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
holstein13 wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
The Pentagon Federal Credit Union still offers 5% cash back on all fuel purchases for ANY type of fuel at ANY station with their Platinum Cash Rewards Visa Card.
That is IN ADDITION to the normal discount that you get with the Good Sams membership card at Flying J and Pilot.
Unfortunately, I've never earned a wage from the US Government and I am not eligible.

Not necessary. Neither have I. Anyone can get one. You put $25 in a savings account with them and you can then apply and get the credit card.