cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What toad is small enough to carry on the back of a Class A?

RoushFenwayRock
Explorer
Explorer
Okay so here is the question. We bought our first "monster" (to us) 32' Class A Motorhome. We could tow our son's car that we acquire in a week, but we are already overwhelmed a little with getting comfy with the 32'. (Formerly a TT owner.)

What kind of vehicle is "street worthy," if that is the best term... that is TINY? I wish we could mount something on the back of the MH. I have a feeling you guys are laughing now, but I'm serious. Is there any kind of tiny electric car or anything that we could use on regular roads? Usually we just run a couple of miles ... down to right across the street, to and from a campsite to a Nascar track. But also sometimes from a parking lot to a music venue.

Wish it could be a little golf cart, but are they allowed on city streets? I'd think not, but not sure. They are all over Nascar tracks, but I've also heard they are only allowed for the owner/drivers... and I've read some track rules that say NO GOLF CARTS ALLOWED AT ALL! Hmmm.

We have a small car... a Volks GTI that we could tow... but that adds so much length, when we are already not acclimated to the new length. Looked at a car trailer, but that's really long. I guess if we do the GTI, it will have to be a Tow Dolly. But I'm hoping there is some nifty little car that we can attach to the back of the Class A and go. D

I'm a Dreamer, right????

Thanks, as always for your kind replies. I'm really trying here and hit a dead end.

A
Go, Roush Fenway Racing!
74 REPLIES 74

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
John & Angela wrote:
RayChez wrote:
The Smart car I am sure it has it's place in the small car market, but for me it is just not practical, too small. That is why I went with the bigger and better car the 2013 CRV Honda. We like to invite friends out for dinner and we fit real nice in the CRV, while on the Smart car it is not possible.

Love the CRV Honda. Looked at them again last week. Had a black one park beside us. If we ever need a bigger car again it is one we would consider. Having said that anytime we need four seats it is for shorter trips under 50 or 60 miles. We would probably look at a used leaf as well. Have to wait for one of the smarts to pack it in first. These little diesels get crazy mileage and never seem to break. Who knows what will be available by then.

Quickie question. How is the entry/exit with the CRV. Kinda spoiled with the smart but the door on the Honda looked big enough.

The CRV has plenty of room for entry or exit. I was kind of spoiled with my Honda Pilot, but now that we have the CRV I am surprised how good these cars are. I drive it short or long distance with out any problems.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
RayChez wrote:
The Smart car I am sure it has it's place in the small car market, but for me it is just not practical, too small. That is why I went with the bigger and better car the 2013 CRV Honda. We like to invite friends out for dinner and we fit real nice in the CRV, while on the Smart car it is not possible.

Love the CRV Honda. Looked at them again last week. Had a black one park beside us. If we ever need a bigger car again it is one we would consider. Having said that anytime we need four seats it is for shorter trips under 50 or 60 miles. We would probably look at a used leaf as well. Have to wait for one of the smarts to pack it in first. These little diesels get crazy mileage and never seem to break. Who knows what will be available by then.

Quickie question. How is the entry/exit with the CRV. Kinda spoiled with the smart but the door on the Honda looked big enough.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
John & Angela wrote:
RVUSA wrote:
donandmax wrote:
the crash tests were better then some full size gas guzzlers. The Smart is made by Mercedes Benz

Which ones?

The reality of a small car in a crash.

Yah there's no doubt that little cars have a tough time with big vehicles in collisions. Physics kinda wins out. But they do have a good reputation and track record. Fatalities are low compared to many brands and they have a long track record. Over a million cars on the road etc etc. In europe they have done a little research into why and some things like stopping distance, maneuverability, a real roll cage, multiple air bags etc seem to contribute to their low fatality and injury rate. Whatever it is it seems to be working. Best thing is to not get hit. ๐Ÿ™‚ Then again, I am a motorcyle guy from way back. You get used to trying to not hit things when you are on two wheels. ๐Ÿ™‚

Stats can be misleading. Fatalities may be low, but is that because of the safety of the car or could it be because of the type of drivers who bought Smart Cars? According to stats one of the most dangerous vehicles on the road is the Corvette. Is it really that the Corvette is dangerous, or is it the fact that people who buy Corvette's don't buy them to drive 55?

Overall fatal traffic accidents are down over the last few decades. Less people die each year in car accidents now, than died each year 25 years ago. Depending on the financial interests of the person using that stat, you'll see all kinds of different reasons claimed. Safer vehicles and more seatbelt use is a big factor, but what is just as big of a factor is medical response. 30 years ago paramedics were few and far between. Ambulance crews would show up throw you in the meat wagon, and take you to the hospital and many people died on the way. Getting paramedics to crash scenes now saves thousands of lives each year. Not to mention the advances in medicine altogether.

Exactly. Thats kinda what the focus was. Why is it that you are less likely to (a.) have an accident in a smart car. (b.) be less likely to be injured when there is one. Lots of factors showed including everything to maneuverability and stopping distance to where they are driven. The results were similar in the few countries they looked at. Don't know if they looked at the results in the US but I think it would be hard to look at big numbers as so few are sold in the US compared to the rest of the world and the size of the vehicles on this side of the pond are all huge in comparison. I know some fire departments have had special training on how to cut apart the tridium cell of a smart car because its just that strong and there is really nothing else like it at present. I doubt the smart car or other micro cars will ever go mainstream on this side of the pond as long as fuel is as dirt cheap as it is. If the fuel here ever catches up with the rest of the world though I can see smaller economical cars finding a market. Who knows. Either way we love driving our little convertibles. If we ever need a back seat again we'll have to go up a size but at least for the next few years that won't happen.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Galvanizd
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
msmith1199 wrote:
Galvanizd wrote:
We're here at the Quartzsite rv show in Az. I've seen two smart cars being carried by lifts on the back of 40 ft Class A rv's with tag axles. There is a vendor here selling one. I'll try and take a picture of one when I see it again. The smart car is being carried sideways much like you see motorcycles being carried.

The OP does not have a 40' motorhome with a tag axle.

Even if he did, just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Can you image the engineer when they find out that somebody cantilevers an extra ton off the back of their DOT approved RV design. :S

No......go on . Say it isn't so.

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
John & Angela wrote:
RVUSA wrote:
donandmax wrote:
the crash tests were better then some full size gas guzzlers. The Smart is made by Mercedes Benz

Which ones?

Yah there's no doubt that little cars have a tough time with big vehicles in collisions. Physics kinda wins out. But they do have a good reputation and track record. Fatalities are low compared to many brands and they have a long track record. Over a million cars on the road etc etc. In europe they have done a little research into why and some things like stopping distance, maneuverability, a real roll cage, multiple air bags etc seem to contribute to their low fatality and injury rate. Whatever it is it seems to be working. Best thing is to not get hit. ๐Ÿ™‚ Then again, I am a motorcyle guy from way back. You get used to trying to not hit things when you are on two wheels. ๐Ÿ™‚

Stats can be misleading. Fatalities may be low, but is that because of the safety of the car or could it be because of the type of drivers who bought Smart Cars? According to stats one of the most dangerous vehicles on the road is the Corvette. Is it really that the Corvette is dangerous, or is it the fact that people who buy Corvette's don't buy them to drive 55?

Overall fatal traffic accidents are down over the last few decades. Less people die each year in car accidents now, than died each year 25 years ago. Depending on the financial interests of the person using that stat, you'll see all kinds of different reasons claimed. Safer vehicles and more seatbelt use is a big factor, but what is just as big of a factor is medical response. 30 years ago paramedics were few and far between. Ambulance crews would show up throw you in the meat wagon, and take you to the hospital and many people died on the way. Getting paramedics to crash scenes now saves thousands of lives each year. Not to mention the advances in medicine altogether.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I've tried a rental Smart car both for the city and for a road trip. Am unimpressed with their ad campaign, "German engineering, Swiss innovation, American nothing." As for the car, even though it parked insanely well in a city, the laws of physics do apply... and even though you may be the best driver in the world, it doesn't mean the slob with a joint in one hand and texting with the other hand won't hit you.

About six months ago, I saw one get hit by a red light runner. The car spun around and whacked another vehicle. Even though the occupants were not badly banged up, the secondary collision means another legal headache for the Smart car owners because they technically are at fault for that.

Instead, I'd probably go for a Honda Fit or a Fiat 500, if I -had- to have a tiny car. Given any car choice, I'd probably go with a bigger vehicle that the "A" can tow. If the "A" is a diesel pusher, I'd probably buy a 4x4 F-150 that has a "toad mode". However, I'm from Texas, where pickups are the norm, not the exception.

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
RoushFenwayRocks wrote:
I DO appreciate the info from everyone. I also understand that we can't pack a car on the back of our Hurricane. I knew it was probably impossible. Since we just purchased a pretty small car from my son (a 2006 Volkswagon GTI), we will be trying to get the equipment to tow it. Would prefer the dolly.

As a side note, I absolutely LOVE the Smart Cars. Look like little roller skates. Hopefully we can get our other tow vehicle, the Nissan truck, sold soon!

Again, thanks for all of your input. A

Go drive a Smart Car.I enjoy driving it, especially around town. It is an acquired taste and will not be the soft ride of a large car but when looking for a parking place you will love it. And it does resist the gas pump.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Many use a dolly to tow with. They have their merits, you can back up with them, built in brakes, and if any car breaks down you can use them to take it to a shop. On the downside is more effort to get going and get setup, back in sites are now a pain, and small sites have no place to store the dang thing.

Another option might be a Remco pump (clicky.)
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

RoushFenwayRock
Explorer
Explorer
I DO appreciate the info from everyone. I also understand that we can't pack a car on the back of our Hurricane. I knew it was probably impossible. Since we just purchased a pretty small car from my son (a 2006 Volkswagon GTI), we will be trying to get the equipment to tow it. Would prefer the dolly.

As a side note, I absolutely LOVE the Smart Cars. Look like little roller skates. Hopefully we can get our other tow vehicle, the Nissan truck, sold soon!

Again, thanks for all of your input. A
Go, Roush Fenway Racing!

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
donandmax wrote:
On the subject of crashing with a smart car... I dont want to have an accident in a small car to prove a point.. I dont want to have an accident in my 4500 lb. Cadillac Deville. !!

reminds me of an ad many years ago in my Dad's AMA Journal for Cadillac. caption went something like, "You owe it to yourself and your family to drive in the safety of a DeVille" or somesuch
๐Ÿ™‚
bumpy

donandmax
Explorer
Explorer
On the subject of crashing with a smart car... I dont want to have an accident in a small car to prove a point.. I dont want to have an accident in my 4500 lb. Cadillac Deville. You have to stay awake and pay attention to the other guy and what he is going to do next. The Smart is good for around town we dont use it to go on trips (thats what the Caddie is for)If you go to Europe you'll se these little guys all over the place and no one pays them any attention. Here in this country its not macho driving a car that gets 50mpg. Macho men drive 20 mpg cars or trucks 12 mi per gallon is big macho. "Man look out for me I have the right of way because I'm bigger than you." Get the hell out of the way with that little thing...Man I wouldnt want to have an accident in that little thing. You would be dead if I ever ran into you with my big V-8 gas guzzling 4 ton macho truck. I think in afew years (weeks ? months) when we start paying what Europe pays in gas taxes the Smart might not look too bad .6-8 dollars or more may change a lot of minds. But we Americans may always still drive these battleships no matter what the price of fuel goes to because "Man I just gotta be MACHO" Oh WOW !!
If it aint broke fix it till it is

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
only one small car got an acceptable crash rating and I think it was a chevy. but crash ratings go "out the window" when a lot of folks don't even fasten their seat belt.
bumpy

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
RVUSA wrote:
donandmax wrote:

Which ones?