Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What would you do, RV getting old!

ntjpmm
Explorer
Explorer
What would you do?

We own a 99 Four Winds 31S, in 2004 it developed a HUGE bubble of delam under the passenger side back window. I called and talked to Four Winds and we agreed since it was just barely out of warranty that they would replace the entire passenger sidewall if we paid half. ($5000.00 at the time) So in 2004 my husband and I drove it back from Seattle to Indiana to have them replace it. We flew home and then in 3 weeks the whole family flew back out and we drove it home.

Fast forward to now and the passenger side of RV is golden not a problem EVER, but the driverโ€™s side every year is a new problem. We have had the roof resealed by Camping World several times, we have resealed and re caulked all the windows, but inevitably something new happens each summer when we uncover it. (it is outside with an RV cover on it for the winter and the spring) And each and every year it seems we find a new โ€œbubbleโ€ on the driverโ€™s side. We keep fixing them and resealing and re caulking, and who knows maybe I am just seeing the same ones each year and I have forgotten about it, I should probably draw a map and take pictures so I can remember each year, but this year is just seems to be to getting me down more. (there has been no water intrusion into the RV just delam on the outside, we very thoroughly check every time we are in it and most of the time we have been able to get to the spot and re glue it back down)

And this year the rest of our punch list just seems to be longer than ever, and I am wondering at what point do we give up? It only has just over 14,000 miles on it and just 127 hours on the generator and we have owned it since it came off the lot. But it is the little things that are getting old and are starting to need to be replaced. Like the trim that goes around the dining table, it does not want to stay in the groove anymore, and the joints in a cupboard door are coming apart and need to be re glued. The backup camera doesn't work and we have to figure out why, the vent fan in the bathroom has stopped working. And the roof I think just needs to be totally re done with Liquid Roof/Liquid Rubber.

Some background on us, we LOVE our RV and when my kids were little used it all the time (they are now 18 and 14) Then my husband lost his job ad we started our own business that was seasonal and we didn't get to use it at all for a couple summers followed up by a my husband getting a job that was totally encompassing 24/7/365, even his days off were not really off. Vacations we managed to take were interrupted constantly by work. And for 6 years we maybe used it once a year and every time was so stressful trying to make sure he still was able to be โ€œconnectedโ€. BUT we had a ton of money and so we just hired out a mobile RV tech to fix any issues we had and dreamed of the day when we could use it again.

This past year my husband found a new job that is so much better in almost every way, he now has free time, his weekends belong to our family again and we are dreaming of having fun again in the RV before our kids are grown and gone. New problem is that he had to take a 50% cut in pay to take the job. So now we are cash poor, but time rich again. ๐Ÿ™‚ the RV is completely paid for, all we pay for each year is insurance and camping spots. BUT all these old things needing to be fixed/replaced is weighing us down.

So what would you do? Would you just work your way as money and time allowed and fix things that need to be fixed? (by the way we are not very good DIYโ€™ers at all, if you need technology fixed then we are golden, but otherwise, well we use youtube a lot to figure out how to fix things) OR would you cut your losses and sell it to someone who has the know how and the want to, to fix it up and we just donโ€™t RV anymore until we can save up enough money to buy another one brand new?

Thanks for your insight, Tracy in WA
Tracy in WA
1999 Fourwinds 31S
1997 Geo Metro
Falcon 2/Brakebuddy
26 REPLIES 26

Cousin_Eddie93
Explorer
Explorer
14k miles with some delam and loose trim inside to me is a no brainer to keep it. There are many DIY delam repair video on YouTube. I have a 1993 rig which I bought with a bad roof with only a functional fridge and AC unit. Everything eels I was able to fix including its old genny but its delam was minimal until this past winter which was quite severe here. I spend a $130 on epoxy resin and a few disposable brushes and lots of caulk and fix a 2'X8 foot section at the rear diver side corner. It doesn't look 100% perfect but its likely more solid than it was when new. It sounds like your rig is in much better shape than most Owners of a 1999 model. I'd keep it.

BillJ999
Explorer
Explorer
Tracy,

Since you now have some time, but little mony, why don't you and your husband try improving your DIY skills ... together if you get along ell when working on projects.
When we bought our first house, we had a project that required putting up drywall. Do you know how I cut the board? No, not by cutting one side with a utility knife and breaking it open! I cut it with a handsaw! How low on the DIY scale can you get?
Today, we do all our projects ourselves, both in the house and in the MH ... and the results are great! You can learn this stuff, if you want to. Noone is born a good DIY.
So, if you like the RV, I would keep it, use it and learn to fix it. Maybe just stay away from anything that might be unsafe, like propane or electrical stuff.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

If there are no major problems, I'd fix what I could myself, and budget so much per mile for repairs and replacements.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ntjpmm
Explorer
Explorer
It is a Ford E-450 Chassis, with a Triton V10 Engine and there are Zero problems with the Engine, transmission or any other System. The interior is almost perfect as the day we got it, the AC works great, the generator works great, the Hot Water heater works great, the Fridge is perfect and everything in the Bathroom is also great (except that I need to recaulk around the top edge of the shower, as this caulk has gotten old and is no longer holding) . At this point it is just little cosmetic things that need to be fixed. After talking with my husband we are just going to slowly make our way through our Punch list as we can.

Our first priority when my husband gets his bonus from his new job is to build a covered parking area for it. Should have done it many years ago and we just kept putting it off. Well no more of that. ๐Ÿ˜„

Thank you all for your input I appreciate it very much, Tracy in WA
Tracy in WA
1999 Fourwinds 31S
1997 Geo Metro
Falcon 2/Brakebuddy

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
I would keep it. You could pay someone to fix everything, for probably less than the sales tax you would pay on a new one. Do you really want 500 or 600 a month payments, for 12 years? Mine is a 2001, I will keep it till the wheels fall off. And repair things as they blow up. Much cheaper than a new rig

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
If the everything inside the housebox is working properly and major items like fridge and roof AC unit have been repaired or replaced,RV generator, converter and house battery system are working well, and you are happy with the interior and exterior cosmetics, and engine, engine cooling system, brakes, and transmission are in good shape, and tires are less than 5 years old by date codes, the only reason you might sell it is to have something newer looking. If the rig is trustworthy enough for touring cross-country and handles well, I'd say keep it. If after some steady use, it shows need for costly repairs, consider peddling it and buying a 3-4 year old rig that needs nothing. Old rigs with new innards don't sell for much more than $5000 so you might have more invested in it than it's market value.

Older, heavier, rigs with smaller engines using carburetors, instead of electronic fuel injection and electronic ignition systems, do not perform as well as newer Ford V-10's on E-450 chassis and tend to overheat pulling long grades at high altitudes on hot days. That's one major reason you might want to eventually find a newer rig.

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know your financial situation but 99 is pretty old and it's not going to take long to spend more than it's worth if you haven't already. But still, depends, can you afford one nice and new enough to be sure you won't have to continue to face repairs. "upgrading" to a 2000 might not help too much but I'd say, start looking. In your case, the low miles doesn't mean much.
Jayco-noslide

psa0298
Explorer
Explorer
I would keep it. You can learn to do the repairs yourself. Sometimes it takes a little trial and error but you can do it. Delamination is not so bad....we bought our MH with delamination. I had to find the leak and reseal the roof. I also rebuilt the wall. The wall is still delaminated (that's on my to do list...later) but not leaking and has been that way for about 5 years, in the meantime we have made countless memories. The most important thing is the condition of the powertrain(engine/transmission). You know how it has been driven and the maintenance history, also it only has 14k miles. Keep it, use it....your kids will be gone before you know it.

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Now that your husband has the time to address all the little things you mentioned, I would surely keep the rig. Especially when considering you are cash-poor and time-rich. Then adding that you still need to accommodate the kids. I don't see a real good reason to get rid of an otherwise clean low mileage rig that you have owned since new. If you had money to work with in buying a new rig, and your kids were no longer traveling with you, I would then consider a "quality" rig designed around an older couple's needs.

That is pretty much our story with our replacement rig HERE.

Corky12
Explorer
Explorer
Keep it. On-going repairs are a constant even with brand new. Your children will be gone in a few years and your RV needs may change then. Start a "new to you" fund so when that time comes you have some cash to shop with. We have a 1995 fifth-wheel. The outside is dimpled from hail damage and the toilet is a constant source of grief for my husband (seems like it always needs something repaired) but it is paid for and everything works so that has become our mantra. When you get the urge for new, tell yourself "ITS PAID FOR AND EVERYTHING WORKS".

Juzaxadar
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a used one (2000) with the knowledge that I'd have to spend some time working on it. Maintenance and repair is a pain and my MH isn't very pretty. It has its quirks, but like toadtoes said, the time spent in it is awesome. I tend to own used cars that are 12+ years old because I want reliability and function and don't concern myself much with the look. So I drive around looking poor, but I don't have any debt. To me that's a good trade off.

If your husband is handy and has time, you can fix the little things for almost nothing but a little time.

Gorilla glue for the table edging, lots of caulking and EternaBond for the leaks... etc.

If you are just done with it and have the ability to sell it, that might gain you a lot of peace of mind, which is pretty valuable. You can always get another one later on when you have the time and means. The only downside is that you can no longer vacation in the MH.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
2000 Minnie 31C V10

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
My highest priority would be to build a carport for it to reduce weather degradation.

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Keep what you have and start saving for a new one. Fun memories with your family does not depend on your rig. Never finance an RV. That is just bad money managment IMHO . Enjoy what you have as you save. Class dismissed. Now go camp.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
eric1514 wrote:
What's wrong with just ignoring the delamination. Who cares? It's just cosmetic, isn't it? It's not like the RV is unusable.

Eric

Precisely. If the engine and power train are good, the appliances and electrical are good and it's paid for, it seems you have something worth hanging on to. Having no debt and the time to use the rig is a blessing. BTW, am glad you found employment. So many are out of work these days.

Delam is a sign of leakage sometimes; I'd get that checked out. There's a new roof product available that will seal a roof for five years or more (it resembles a flexible form of truck bed liner) and it's much cheaper than buying a different rig. We put that on our used rig and it's been golden.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus