cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What your opinion of buying a MV from camping World?

Forest66
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at buying a RV from CW and wanted to here some over all opinions on them Good bad and ugly

Thanks
74 REPLIES 74

Dance_Chick
Explorer
Explorer
Personal experience - wouldn't buy anything from or use service at CW in Dover FL near Tampa. Would suggest you stay far away. Camping World's service in the Bartow location is awful - never bought anything there.
Gene, Gayle, & Oliver (the dog)
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ/2012 Honda CRV toad
Blue Ox tow bar & base plate/Air Force One braking

SkiingSixPack
Explorer
Explorer
In one word, don't. Way too many horror stories on here...
My better half
DS-18,DD-17,DS-15,DS-15 (4 teenagers, in da house)
Summit Red Sunshine-4
Brandy Red Sunshine-At the bridge

The greatest thing you ever can do now,
Is trade a smile with someone who's blue now,
It's very easy just...

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
skrams wrote:
We bought ours from them, from the Hamburg, NY store. We've used them and the Rochester location for service, and had no issues with either of them. We would certainly consider CW again when we replace our current.

good fair post. trust me if CW was even 1/2 as bad as a few sour grapes here contend they would be out of business
the one poster reminds me of the A type people whom hate GM or ford
and think because they had a bad experience in their mind everyone should believe them and shun GM and ford to appease them

skrams
Explorer
Explorer
We bought ours from them, from the Hamburg, NY store. We've used them and the Rochester location for service, and had no issues with either of them. We would certainly consider CW again when we replace our current.
2007 Four Winds Hurricane 34B (Ford Chassis) Bunkhouse
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt LT (5-speed manual)
SMI Stay-In-Play & Blue-Ox Aventa LX

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
usersmanual wrote:
I never said CW was doomed, in fact they will thrive! America feeds on easy with colorful ads, regardless of how crappy the service is or how overpriced the product. Heck the guy does TV consulting to show how to make profit without ever looking back. Ya America loves the CW model - it suits the stupid and ignorant. America seems to like everything homogenized anymore - just try and find a hometown restaurant these days.

Honestly in my opinion its hard to rationalize or converse with someone when they hate something this bad. By the way my favourite show is the profit and Marcus lemonis impresses me to a certain degree. however I do admit I have never dealt with camping world regarding RV sales or service. I secured a xc2000 for a friend from them and they had the best price around bar none. I wanted a new hide-a-bed couch in a small length and they had one made and shipped to my MH. Online Service was good and product was as advertised
price was hard to gauge because they were the only ones I could find that sold a 64 inch long couch/hide-a-bed

I find it equally hard to rationalize or converse with someone with an opinion about something they have never actually experienced.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
I never said CW was doomed, in fact they will thrive! America feeds on easy with colorful ads, regardless of how crappy the service is or how overpriced the product. Heck the guy does TV consulting to show how to make profit without ever looking back. Ya America loves the CW model - it suits the stupid and ignorant. America seems to like everything homogenized anymore - just try and find a hometown restaurant these days.

Honestly in my opinion its hard to rationalize or converse with someone when they hate something this bad. By the way my favourite show is the profit and Marcus lemonis impresses me to a certain degree. however I do admit I have never dealt with camping world regarding RV sales or service. I secured a xc2000 for a friend from them and they had the best price around bar none. I wanted a new hide-a-bed couch in a small length and they had one made and shipped to my MH. Online Service was good and product was as advertised
price was hard to gauge because they were the only ones I could find that sold a 64 inch long couch/hide-a-bed

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
1968mooney wrote:
Mile High wrote:
usersmanual wrote:
The usa has a large consumer population.- you spend like crazy- Camping world is a household name in the Rv industry -sea to sea and north to south coverage
there into financing-warrentys-roadside assistance etc
because A few here don't like them but theres a million that have no Quarrel
my take on it

Well the ones with no quarrel are sure quiet, because I haven't heard a single positive. It wasn't that long ago when they just sold overpriced accessories, and because they were in your face more than the other less expensive web stores, it caught on.

Then they decided to start offering installation, and that turned out to be a mess. The satisfaction with the installation service was across the entire spectrum between OK and not OK, with the Not OKs having some horrid stories. I have a few of those myself such as when I walked out front and they were installing my new pin box with a sledge hammer and a fork truck.

The move to buy out Dealers was a good financial move for Camping World's part, but a lose-lose it would seem for the buyer, because they are accessory providers, not heavy chassis techs. Can you imagine taking your DP in there for an oil change???

The Good Sam merge is where you see the financing, warranty, roadside assistance, and Good Sam was doing just fine with that before Camping World. If anything, the Camping World name puts a dark shadow on Good Sam. The two companies have yet to totally merge, and they don't even like each other. I contacted Good Sam for an extended warranty, and when the agent found out I was purchasing from Camping World, he had to stop talking to me because Camping World sells a different product using the Good Sam name and they aren't allowed to interfere with the Camping World pitch from finance until I decide to deny it.

Coast to coast is not a good thing, because that just means that less and less of the reputable Dealers are available. Nothing worse than driving by your old home town Dealer and seeing the Camping World sign going up. Stopped in a Dealer in Texas when we were shopping and I told him I noticed he was Camping World - he said please don't associate us with them - they bought our store but our Dealership is still ours under our original name. That doesn't sound like the the Dealer considered CW to be any asset to their reputation.

One positive I can add about Good Sam, if you aren't satisfied with what you are getting from Camping World with regard to a Good Sam product (warranty), Good Sam has a task team that will get you taken care of through other means.

You know what I got from Marcus Anthony Lemonis after spending a ton of money at his store and 3 unanswered letters to the store Management about poor service? I got a letter signed by Marcus Anthony Lemonis thanking me for buying an RV and that to keep the resale value I really need to buy one of his RV covers! hahahaha!

Just my take.

Glad that you informed us of the pending doom of CW. How about creating a Blog to keep us informed. How many stores have they closed in the past year? How much money have they lost in the past yr? I doubt they miss the few $ you withhold from them. They probably are happy not to put up with your complaints.

You say you spent a "ton" of money at CW stores. How many pennies is in a ton (2000 lbs)?

Now would be a great time for you to open your own RV Sales and Service Dept. You could provide excellent service and maybe in 10 yrs. or so, make a profit. :B

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
usersmanual wrote:
he said please don't associate us with them - they bought our store but our Dealership is still ours under our original name.

that to me in my mind makes no sense whatsoever. Why would I sell my parts store to CW but keep my sales lot and then say hey I hate CW ?
seems counter productive to and sounds like the dealer was failing and needed some cash.I would never sell my RV parts store and keep sales only as our parts and repairs are huge part of our operation

Keep in mind I was talking to sales, not the owner. The sales don't give a rats what the owner hardships are or why, they just have their reasons for not wanting to be associated with CW. Not sure why that sounds foreign to you.

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
he said please don't associate us with them - they bought our store but our Dealership is still ours under our original name.

that to me in my mind makes no sense whatsoever. Why would I sell my parts store to CW but keep my sales lot and then say hey I hate CW ?
seems counter productive to and sounds like the dealer was failing and needed some cash.I would never sell my RV parts store and keep sales only as our parts and repairs are huge part of our operation

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
usersmanual wrote:
The usa has a large consumer population.- you spend like crazy- Camping world is a household name in the Rv industry -sea to sea and north to south coverage
my take on it

Well the ones with no quarrel are sure quiet, because I haven't heard a single positive. It wasn't that long ago when they just sold overpriced accessories, and because they were in your face more than the other less expensive web stores, it caught on.

Then they decided to start offering installation, and that turned out to be a mess. The satisfaction with the installation service was across the entire spectrum between OK and not OK, with the Not OKs having some horrid stories. I have a few of those myself such as when I walked out front and they were installing my new pin box with a sledge hammer and a fork truck.

The move to buy out Dealers was a good financial move for Camping World's part, but a lose-lose it would seem for the buyer, because they are accessory providers, not heavy chassis techs. Can you imagine taking your DP in there for an oil change???

The Good Sam merge is where you see the financing, warranty, roadside assistance, and Good Sam was doing just fine with that before Camping World. If anything, the Camping World name puts a dark shadow on Good Sam. The two companies have yet to totally merge, and they don't even like each other. I contacted Good Sam for an extended warranty, and when the agent found out I was purchasing from Camping World, he had to stop talking to me because Camping World sells a different product using the Good Sam name and they aren't allowed to interfere with the Camping World pitch from finance until I decide to deny it.

Coast to coast is not a good thing, because that just means that less and less of the reputable Dealers are available. Nothing worse than driving by your old home town Dealer and seeing the Camping World sign going up. Stopped in a Dealer in Texas when we were shopping and I told him I noticed he was Camping World - he said please don't associate us with them - they bought our store but our Dealership is still ours under our original name. That doesn't sound like the the Dealer considered CW to be any asset to their reputation.

One positive I can add about Good Sam, if you aren't satisfied with what you are getting from Camping World with regard to a Good Sam product (warranty), Good Sam has a task team that will get you taken care of through other means.

You know what I got from Marcus Anthony Lemonis after spending a ton of money at his store and 3 unanswered letters to the store Management about poor service? I got a letter signed by Marcus Anthony Lemonis thanking me for buying an RV and that to keep the resale value I really need to buy one of his RV covers! hahahaha!

Just my take.

Glad that you informed us of the pending doom of CW. How about creating a Blog to keep us informed. How many stores have they closed in the past year? How much money have they lost in the past yr? I doubt they miss the few $ you withhold from them. They probably are happy not to put up with your complaints.

You say you spent a "ton" of money at CW stores. How many pennies is in a ton (2000 lbs)?

Now would be a great time for you to open your own RV Sales and Service Dept. You could provide excellent service and maybe in 10 yrs. or so, make a profit. :B

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
usersmanual wrote:
my take on it

Just my take.

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
my take on it

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
JnJnKatiebug wrote:
Why would CW change anything. We drove 150 miles down to the Little Rock AR CW to look at a TT they had. The parking lot was full, the store was full of people and all the salesmen were busy with customers. We had already checked out the trailer online so all we needed was someone to show it to us. Finally we talked with a salesman and he took us out to see the trailer. He said he had only worked there for 3 months and knew very little about RV's, but he said he was "learning". Well the trailer looked fine so he took us in to the sales manager to talk price. He gave us the price (which was posted online) and said that was the low dollar. I pulled out my phone and showed him several that were $3000 less and told him I had no problem driving a few hundred miles to save that much but I had rather buy local. He then went on rampage giving me a speech about how this was a Rockwood and the trailer I showed him was a Flagstaff and it was apples and oranges. he showed me the brochure on how the Rockwood was made and how much better it was than the Flagstaff. I went out to the car and got the Flagstaff brochure, which was exactly the same pictures and information. I left, the salesman followed me out to the car and apologized and wanted my phone number. He said he was going to check it out and call me.

We drove 20 miles down the road, ordered a new Flagstaff with several more options and $3000 less.

The salesman (he was a very nice guy) called me two days later and apologized again. He said he checked it out and I was right, Rockwood and Flagstaff are like Chevy and GMC. The sales manager had to know this if he knew anything at all about RV's, but just chose to lie.

Bottom line, I have been in this store several times when I need a small part or accessory and they are always busy. Customers in and out looking and buying. My opinion is their brand name and lot of first time buyers is what keeps them going, so why would they change. As for me, I voted with my checkbook.

I think part of the reason for the success is they are buying out established RV Dealers, and living off the previous reputation until people begin to realize they are much, much different than who they used to deal with.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
CW rents out motorhomes I hope there not renting out RV's that are on the sales lot?

JnJnKatiebug
Explorer
Explorer
Why would CW change anything. We drove 150 miles down to the Little Rock AR CW to look at a TT they had. The parking lot was full, the store was full of people and all the salesmen were busy with customers. We had already checked out the trailer online so all we needed was someone to show it to us. Finally we talked with a salesman and he took us out to see the trailer. He said he had only worked there for 3 months and knew very little about RV's, but he said he was "learning". Well the trailer looked fine so he took us in to the sales manager to talk price. He gave us the price (which was posted online) and said that was the low dollar. I pulled out my phone and showed him several that were $3000 less and told him I had no problem driving a few hundred miles to save that much but I had rather buy local. He then went on rampage giving me a speech about how this was a Rockwood and the trailer I showed him was a Flagstaff and it was apples and oranges. he showed me the brochure on how the Rockwood was made and how much better it was than the Flagstaff. I went out to the car and got the Flagstaff brochure, which was exactly the same pictures and information. I left, the salesman followed me out to the car and apologized and wanted my phone number. He said he was going to check it out and call me.

We drove 20 miles down the road, ordered a new Flagstaff with several more options and $3000 less.

The salesman (he was a very nice guy) called me two days later and apologized again. He said he checked it out and I was right, Rockwood and Flagstaff are like Chevy and GMC. The sales manager had to know this if he knew anything at all about RV's, but just chose to lie.

Bottom line, I have been in this store several times when I need a small part or accessory and they are always busy. Customers in and out looking and buying. My opinion is their brand name and lot of first time buyers is what keeps them going, so why would they change. As for me, I voted with my checkbook.
2016 Chevy Tahoe
2017 Flagstaff 26FKWS
(Picture in profile)

"The best things in life are the people you love, the places you've seen,
and the memories you've made along the way".