cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Which surge protector?

AikenRacer
Explorer
Explorer
The only device I have in my 50 amp wiring that I can see is the relay that is mounted inside the electrical bay. So I assume that I need to add a surge protector or can these be factory installed elsewhere? I have looked at the in line plug in units but had a friend tell me that I should get one of the protector units that mount inside the electrical bay. I am not an electrician but want something to protect my circuts. Any suggestions?
2012 Tuscany 42RQ tag
2005 Silverado 2500 w/ piggy back golf cart
20 REPLIES 20

AikenRacer
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys. I did order and get the PI EMS PT50C portable. Figured that way, I can protect my electrical supply line and if there was a problem with the device, I could still continue the trip the old fashion risky way.
2012 Tuscany 42RQ tag
2005 Silverado 2500 w/ piggy back golf cart

LindsayRichards
Explorer
Explorer
It was suggested to me to get the coach mounted unit rather than the pedestal end unit. I decided not to spend the extra $100. After lugging it back and forth 500 time, I realize how stupid I was.

okgc
Explorer
Explorer
I am quite happy with our SurgebGuard 50a.

After a career with computers I would never trust a "repaired" device of this type.
2010 Tiffin Allegro RED 36 QSA with GMC Envoy
Alaska 2015

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
I have the PI EMS-PT50C and would purchase it again regardless of price. All posts so far have been to protect against surges. A surge is only one possible problem that can kill our RV's. Check the specs to see what this unit actually does. I was protected a few months ago from high voltage at my home base site when a transformer serving my neighborhood was failing. My home base is in a residential neighborhood and I am the on RV on this transformer. My EMS-PT50C shut my power down when the line voltage exceeded 132v. I called the power company and they ended up replacing the transformer. My neighbors didn't even know they had a problem other than blown light bulbs.

Theft of this portable unit? Not concerned.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

randallb
Explorer
Explorer
Surge Guard has no support after the warranty is up. I contacted them for repair on my 3 year old 50A unit and was told that they do not repair them and no replacement parts are available. Why would you purchase a unit that you can not get repaired?
Randy

JaBob
Explorer
Explorer
My experience with Progressive is A1

Bob

Gdlow
Explorer
Explorer
I use the surge guard and have for 10 years...Had it protect a lot of times...Which one is best...I can't say, but as some one said earlier make sure you get the one that protects against more than surges.:C
Gary And Cathy
'05 Dolphin 5342
Honda Element following us :W
Pacnats
GS, FMCA
:C Rallys attended
FMCA Albany, Or.'06
FMCA Redmond, Or.'07
FMCA Quartzite, Az. '10...but not again:R
Good Sams "The Rally" Redmond Or. '11
FMCA Redmond August 2014
FMCA Indio, Ca 2013

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Progressive Industries. Lifetime warranty and compare the specs yourself. IMO, Worth every penny.

ncrowley
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had the 30 amp surge guard and now have the 50 amp surge guard. Both external units. I have had no issue with either of them. They have both worked well.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
FrankShore wrote:
Progressive Industries has the best hard wired units (Lifetime Warranty)

I will second FrankShore's comment but add this.

PI makes two DIFFERENT (Well 3) for 50 amp.

One is a plug in thing with a few LEDs on it.. NOT the one you want

The other two have an led or two but also have a DIGITAL DISPLAY (LCD) That is the one you want.. One is plug in, the other hard wired with a remote display.. Your choice (But it is much harder to forget the hard wired model if you are tired).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

rdthompson1
Explorer
Explorer
I had 50 amp Surge Guard. It died in less than a year, but it was over a year by the time I contacted them. It sounded like they would have replaced it either way. They gave me good service on replacement, but by then I had already bought Progressive. Gave the replacement to a friend .
Robin & Anita
1999 American tradition
300HP Cummins / 6 Spd Allison
2015 Mazda cx5 w/dolly

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
FrankShore wrote:
harley-dave wrote:
I've been using a Surge Guard HERE. for years. Has done well for us.

Dave

But does it have a lifetime warranty?

Though my Honda only has a 3-year warranty and I could get a Dodge with a 5-year, I'm sticking with my Honda.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

emiddleb
Explorer
Explorer
Notice the pattern in the comments... almost everyone is recommending something more than just a "surge protector." You can get one that just protects against surges, but what you really want is a unit that will detect/protect from mis-wired posts, low voltage etc. Costs a bit more but protects against problems that are far more likely than a simple surge.

I too use the Progressive EMS. Highly recommended though there are other good ones. Just make sure you compare features, specs etc.
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Roadmaster Tow Dolly

bamcote
Explorer
Explorer
This is what I have EMS-PT50C Clicky

Great product and great customer service from Progressive Industries.
DH, DW, Tildie, Bella and
Molly the Maine Coon
and Greta the shorkie pup

2008 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z
2007 Saturn Vue AWD with Ready Brake Brute