Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why would anyone want an outside TV?

silvercorvette
Explorer
Explorer
I have been looking at "A"s on line.

After I sell my house I plan on trading the 5ver for an A and full timing it.

All the As that most dealers have in stock new and used have ann outside TV. I do not understand why anyone would watch TV outside (other than a baseball or football game).
If the weather is nice outside I would rather take the dogs for a walk or do some kind of physical activity such as horse shoes. I can understand why a outside shower is useful and a outside stove are nice but I prefer a charcoal grill. But sitting outside watching TV seems useless, heck I would rather people watch (watching people walk by).

Outside TVs must be popular because almost every A that I see has one but I was wondering if many people on this forum have a outside TV and if you do, do you enjoy having it?
2014 4 WD Silverado 403 CI diesel long bed dually, B&W hitch with 95 Gallon Auxiliary Fuel Tank, pulling a 33 foot Holiday Rambler Alumascape suite, Winegard SK-3005 TRAV'LER slimline dish, Splendide 2100 XC washer dryer, TST Tire Pressure monitor system.
169 REPLIES 169

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
Never had one and I wouldn't have ordered it but it came with the current coach. We camped maybe 14 nights and hadn't even turned it on yet.
We were in the giant CG in Amana Iowa for Octoberfest a couple weeks ago and many were watching or listening to the Iowa State/KU game. Opened it up, turned it on, and instant fun meeting people etc. I would get used to the concept an outside TV will probably be standard on many models if they are not already. Silly yes but so are many other features that were not around many years ago.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
DutchmenSport wrote:

IvyLog,
I'm glad YOU said that, coming from a MH owner! My perception is, they are just too "snooty-tooty" for the "common folk."

I are one of the "common folk". I've worked hard, started saving early, married a good frugal woman and have always lived BELOW our means. My daddy said to get lots while you are young and unlike some, I did not misunderstand him so I bought real estate.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
"Why would anyone want an outside TV?"

Because running a coax cable across the trailer, hanging it out a window, to the TV sitting on a wobble table, is a pain in the butt.

Cable plug is above frig, get all tripped up in it when going inside for more beer.:M

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
Interesting how a fairly simple question has brought out some strong opinions. 20 years ago when I decided to build a CG it was because I knew the majority of campers were nicer than the norm. Like so many things this has changed BUT I still say campers are nicer than most. In these 20 years the only real problems I've had was from two lawyers and one divorced lady... female, not a bad average. Sure there were the barking dogs and not picking up after them but overall not a lot of issues.

10 years ago I stopped to see how one camper was towing his MB SL sports car... turned out his wife drove it. They were fairly new to RVing and he said I was the first friendly person they had meet. I told him that he had two strikes going for him... a 40' DP and a sports car. Many campers were going to stay 50' away and it would take a sign for free beer to get then to come closer. Sad, but somewhat true for those of us with big MHs.

I find it ironic that we are often criticized for not coming outside but now some want us to stay inside. Lighten up and it's not an ego trip owning a big DP with a outside TV. It's what we like and we try to be very nice friendly neighbors like the majority of campers.

IvyLog,
I'm glad YOU said that, coming from a MH owner! Coming from a TT owner, I will say ..... your perceptions of (me) are 100% accurate. I (personally) shy away from MH campers, simply because they are reclusive. I figure they don't want to be bothered, so they somehow appear to make themselves NOT available. My perception is, they are just too "snooty-tooty" for the "common folk."

Now this last Summer, there was an older fellow sitting outside his MH, all alone, just sitting there. I noticed his wife came out a couple times, sat down, talked to him a few minuets and then went back inside.

So, I "boldly" went across the road and simply said, "Hi!" We struck up a conversation. Turned out he gave me his whole life story. He was in his late 80's. His son drove the MH, parked it, set it up, and would come back and break camp for his mom and dad when done. I had a delightful experience with him. I'm sure I made his day by just letting him talk and tell me anything he wanted. I had nothing else to do anyway. I made a friend that day.

So what I'm saying is, MH campers DO present an aurora abut themselves. I don't know if it's unconscious or deliberate. It's almost like they are saying, "I spent $250,000 on this machine, and no one is getting germs on it!"

But sometimes, that mold DOES get broken!

HeresLucy
Explorer
Explorer
An outside TV was a required when we were shopping for our MH. We do not disturb our neighbors. And find most others who have one do the same. We have wireless headphones - use them inside and out. Use inside so when one of us goes to bed early it does not disturb the other.

In our 10+ years of RVing the only time we were disturbed @ a COE CG was an VA when a nearby camper got out his Karaoke machine and started singing thru a microphone. By himself. Oddest thing we've ever seen. Didn't last long though. And then another neighbor started playing blue grass music on their CD player very loudly. You could hear it through the entire CG. We gave it about hour to see if it would end on its own. It didn't. We simply talked to the ranger and reminded him they rented a site, not the entire CG. Made sense to him. He asked them to turn it down and they did.

Playing kids do not bother me. Bike riding, Campfires Talking around a campfire. - laughing etc. No problem - I expect all of this. But I don't expect loud music to go on and on unless it was a planned event. And I wouldn't appreciate a TV blasting either.

When disturbances happen speak up. Talk to the CG host or manager. But overall I find most fellow campers are nice and do not impose their ways on others. Given the number of years we've been RVing and the different type of CGs we've visited - If outside TVs were a widespread issue we'd have noticed it by now.
2006 Allegro Bus 40' DP
2005 Grand Cherokee

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
We use to shoot video of the kids water skiing and then play it back in the evening after dinner. It was fun for everyone to sit around and watch.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Too many of us have preconceived notions of outdoor TV's.
Most of these notions are not based on actual experience. But based on their own stereotypes and baggage.
Like any other thing in life outdoor TV's are fine as long as they are used respectfully.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
et2 wrote:
If someone watching a TV isn't bothering anyone and it can't be heard above anyone else's noise ... Who honestly cares? If you do, perhaps you're the one with the problem.

The main reason "I" do not want anyone sitting outside and watching TV is "I" don't have a TV outside my RV and "I" am to cheap too install one. If "I" don't have one, no one should. :@

et2
Explorer
Explorer
If someone watching a TV isn't bothering anyone and it can't be heard above anyone else's noise ... Who honestly cares? If you do, perhaps you're the one with the problem.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Interesting how a fairly simple question has brought out some strong opinions. 20 years ago when I decided to build a CG it was because I knew the majority of campers were nicer than the norm. Like so many things this has changed BUT I still say campers are nicer than most. In these 20 years the only real problems I've had was from two lawyers and one divorced lady... female, not a bad average. Sure there were the barking dogs and not picking up after them but overall not a lot of issues.

10 years ago I stopped to see how one camper was towing his MB SL sports car... turned out his wife drove it. They were fairly new to RVing and he said I was the first friendly person they had meet. I told him that he had two strikes going for him... a 40' DP and a sports car. Many campers were going to stay 50' away and it would take a sign for free beer to get then to come closer. Sad, but somewhat true for those of us with big MHs.

I find it ironic that we are often criticized for not coming outside but now some want us to stay inside. Lighten up and it's not an ego trip owning a big DP with a outside TV. It's what we like and we try to be very nice friendly neighbors like the majority of campers.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
We don't have a TV in the trailer (at all) and don't allow most electronics while camping... Perhaps the outside TVs just aren't common enough yet, but I've not been bothered by others who have a TV. The most intrusive (to me) is when others open their car doors and use the car radio to add some music to their site. Because of the lack of directional control and the way the doors open, they tend to turn it up to where it invades several campsites in all directions.

As for attempting to categorize people based on camping style - not a good approach. Instead, categorize them based on behavior. People aren't bad neighbors until they've proven through their actions that they're bad neighbors. We've been next to many people that have a very different lifestyle (or camping style) from us, and 98% of the time they're good neighbors even so.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
AstroRig57 wrote:
However, I have been parked next to others for whom it was an

obvious ego trip

to show off their outdoor TV and sound system.

There's no other explanation

for that kind of blatant rudeness.

And...You know this as a fact how? :?

For others, who turn their outdoor space into party central with big screen TV's and loud sound systems I ask this......

Why then would you do it when you're on the road?

Is it the anonymity, the belief that you'll never see those rubes next door that makes you so bold?

Many of us do not have a campfire every night out in the front lawn of our suburban home either. So what's your point? Camping is to have fun, apparently something you are not familiar with. :W

I know there's many full timers here who no longer have a stick and brick house. For them, I understand that their patio area is an extension of their living space.

For the most part, these people are considerate and aren't a problem.

In fact, many full timers next to whom I've been parked were so quiet I had to see them, catch them outside, to know that they were there.

Just how in the hell would you know, as you say, I was one of 'those people' when I pulled in next to you and that I was a full timer? I RV like everyone else, I am NOT one of 'those people'.:R

Lot of finger pointing and quick qualifying of other fellow campers. Sad.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

AstroRig57
Explorer
Explorer
William B wrote:
If you are a considerate watcher more power to you but we full time and have "listened" to way more outside TV's than we wanted to, and been lit up with outside lights on all night long. Just my two cents...

EXACTLY ! I'm glad someone finally said it.

There's many people with outdoor TV's and stereos who use them responsibly. I've got no beef with them. However, in regard to others....

I think some people are non-malicious and clueless as to how offensive and inconsiderate a loud TV or stereo, and late night outdoor TV or bright outdoor lighting can be. However, I have been parked next to others for whom it was an obvious ego trip to show off their outdoor TV and sound system. There's no other explanation for that kind of blatant rudeness.

I know there's many full timers here who no longer have a stick and brick house. For them, I understand that their patio area is an extension of their living space. For the most part, these people are considerate and aren't a problem. In fact, many full timers next to whom I've been parked were so quiet I had to see them, catch them outside, to know that they were there.

For others, who turn their outdoor space into party central with big screen TV's and loud sound systems I ask this. Do you do this at home? Do you have a TV that shines in the windows of your neighbor's house? Do they have to see the flicker of your TV on their bedroom walls? Do you point stereo speakers, with a thumping subwoofer, at your neighbors and crank it up? Why then would you do it when you're on the road? Is it the anonymity, the belief that you'll never see those rubes next door that makes you so bold? Just food for thought.
2005 Winnebago Sightseer WFD30B "rigged for night" with red LED lighting for night adapted vision.

Do you remember when the sky was dark, and the stars were bright?
The International Dark-Sky Association
American by birth...Scottish by the Grace Of God.

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
Some people do not use the shower on their RV.

Yet there is one on almost every RV.

Might as well include an outside TV.

It does not need to be needed.
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
silvercorvette wrote:
Outside TVs must be popular because almost every A that I see has one but I was wondering if many people on this forum have a outside TV and if you do, do you enjoy having it?

Every outside TV on an RV has it's occupant sitting outside watching for people to see who's watching him. Really kinda funny! :?