Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why would anyone want an outside TV?

silvercorvette
Explorer
Explorer
I have been looking at "A"s on line.

After I sell my house I plan on trading the 5ver for an A and full timing it.

All the As that most dealers have in stock new and used have ann outside TV. I do not understand why anyone would watch TV outside (other than a baseball or football game).
If the weather is nice outside I would rather take the dogs for a walk or do some kind of physical activity such as horse shoes. I can understand why a outside shower is useful and a outside stove are nice but I prefer a charcoal grill. But sitting outside watching TV seems useless, heck I would rather people watch (watching people walk by).

Outside TVs must be popular because almost every A that I see has one but I was wondering if many people on this forum have a outside TV and if you do, do you enjoy having it?
2014 4 WD Silverado 403 CI diesel long bed dually, B&W hitch with 95 Gallon Auxiliary Fuel Tank, pulling a 33 foot Holiday Rambler Alumascape suite, Winegard SK-3005 TRAV'LER slimline dish, Splendide 2100 XC washer dryer, TST Tire Pressure monitor system.
169 REPLIES 169

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
TechWriter wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:
Now this last Summer, there was an older fellow sitting outside his MH, all alone, just sitting there. I noticed his wife came out a couple times, sat down, talked to him a few minuets and then went back inside.

So, I "boldly" went across the road and simply said, "Hi!" We struck up a conversation. Turned out he gave me his whole life story . . .

So what I'm saying is, MH campers DO present an aurora abut themselves. I don't know if it's unconscious or deliberate. It's almost like they are saying, "I spent $250,000 on this machine, and no one is getting germs on it!"

So you're the "MH Whisperer"?

I would not call myself "that". But for one lonely older man that was dieing for someone to just come over and talk to him, I was THAT day!

Nah that "lonely old man" is on this thread earlier talking about how he did YOU a favor talking to you. Ha just kidding 😉
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

Colorado71
Explorer
Explorer
When we do our year full timing, I want to take a 120" pull down projector screen and a HD projector to watch movies under the stairs.

We don't watch sports or TV, but it would be awesome for the occasional movie. Obviously we'd have to wait till after dark though. The ultimate "drive in" movie theater!

Wish they made a nice flat white section of the coach that you could project directly onto (after you cleaned it of course).

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would guess that the majority of folks with the large DPs are full-timing. So, for all those who think they are putting on airs and acting snooty - how much time do YOU spend sitting outside your house on a daily basis? How much time to do you spend chatting up your neighbors when you're home? How much time do you spend watching TV when you're home?

If I were full-timing in an RV, I can absolutely assure you I would be spending a lot more time inside the RV than I spend in it now. Now, when I go someplace in the RV it is for the specific purpose of getting outdoors. If I lived in it full-time, then that time I currently spend at home INSIDE my house would likely be spent INSIDE the RV. I would be watching TV inside my RV - because I watch TV inside my house. I would be doing chores, paying bills, etc., inside the RV - because I do those things inside my house.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:So what I'm saying is, MH campers DO present an aurora abut themselves. I don't know if it's unconscious or deliberate. It's almost like they are saying, "I spent $250,000 on this machine, and no one is getting germs on it!"

So what I'm saying is, MH campers DO present an aurora abut themselves. I don't know if it's unconscious or deliberate. It's almost like they are saying, "I spent $250,000 on this machine, and no one is getting germs on it!"

omg, Just omg. :R

How sad your life must be to think about others that way. Do you post this disrespectful garbage in the Class A forum just to vent your spleen, because you really don't have a clue.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:
Now this last Summer, there was an older fellow sitting outside his MH, all alone, just sitting there. I noticed his wife came out a couple times, sat down, talked to him a few minuets and then went back inside.

So, I "boldly" went across the road and simply said, "Hi!" We struck up a conversation. Turned out he gave me his whole life story . . .

I would not call myself "that". But for one lonely older man that was dieing for someone to just come over and talk to him, I was THAT day!

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:

2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

MagillaGorilla
Explorer
Explorer
Here are some reason the outside TV is nice:

A: Sporting events - tailgating.

B: Want to watch the game but don't want to be stuck inside

C: Have the kids/grandchildren with you. They want to watch TV but you want to sit by the fire at night. Now you can do both.

😧 Spouse #1 wants to watch TV. Spouse #2 wants to be outside. Everyone is happy.

E: You want to check tomorrows weather but don't want to stay inside to do it.

F: Its night time, you want to chill and watch Netflix but hate to sit inside.

G: It's just another gadget that you think you might like.

The good news about having the TV outside is if you don't want to use it you don't have to. Every single outdoor TV comes with an off switch.
Magilla

2005 Holiday Rambler Admiral 37' Gasser

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I recognize that many people don't like the same things that I like. But, I will say that I have NEVER had a use for outside TV's.
In the bathroom, in the garage, in the bedroom, in the kitchen,.....YES.
However, it seems that there would be many people who would want a set of easy-hookup, wireless headsets for those times when you are busy doing something, yet listening to what they're saying on TV.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

artillery6
Explorer
Explorer
Our outside TV in in the wall of the coach. Doesn't take up storage space and we really enjoy watching sporting events, movies, news and some of our favorite TV shows. Use it all the time.

et2
Explorer
Explorer
qtla9111 wrote:
Wow, and I was the one who was reprimanding and needed the chill pills? This is really funny 🙂 You guys just won't let go of that television.

:R

Troll much?

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have one in my coach and don't care to put one in. Too much outside noise already!

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Coach came with it, it doesn't eat much, the cabinet is maybe 5" deep behind the stove, dead space in any event. Not sure what I could store in a cabinet 5" deep by the size of 42" TV.

I turn it on with whatever we might have on in the coach while I am grilling - usually the news. WE are full timers so the coach is home and campfires are special treats, maybe once a month or less often unless we are with people who really like them. We never sit with friends or family and watch TV, in or out. If there are people around we would rather talk, play Scrabble, communicate with each other and the TV is merely a distraction for us. Not snooty, just not our taste. By the by we are in a "fancy motorhome" and really really enjoy getting to meet people in the campgrounds, even if they are in small trailers, like our son's 🙂
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Wow, and I was the one who was reprimanding and needed the chill pills? This is really funny 🙂 You guys just won't let go of that television.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

diveman52
Explorer
Explorer
Seems there are a lot of hatters out there on this subject. It's all about personal choice. Last time I check we still live in a free country.
At least for now.
40+ Years in Electrical construction.
Retired IBEW Local 595
Every Days Saturday
2008 Newmar Dutch Star 4035

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
Can't tailgate without an outside tv. Great for watching movies at night when the weather is nice.

As for DP owners being snoody: We have tent camped, camped in PoPups, trailers, fivers and now a DP. Yes, we try to appear snoody now. You wouldn't believe how hard it is to walk with your head tilted upward and avoid tripping over the sewer hose.

Seriously, we still call the DP a "camper". After 45 years it's just a habbit we can't break, even though we try not to let other "coach" owners hear us say it.