cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winterizing

vcbutton
Explorer
Explorer
Can someone please point me to a step-by-step outline to blow out the water lines? I have a compressor but need a connector of some kind.

Thanks
Without America. there is no free world!
13 REPLIES 13

JC2
Explorer
Explorer
Effy wrote:
prism wrote:
Nomadac wrote:
Don't forget the lines for your Ice Maker and blow out the plastic valve that they connect to or it will break. The spray hose in the toilet also.

If you have lines for a washer, you need to make sure that antifreeze is in those lines. I do not have a washer so do not know what that procedure is.

If hes BLOWING it out why would he need antifreeze in these lines?
He will need antifreeze in the washing machine pump for sure(if he has one0

I do it as a bit of added insurance. It would be next to impossible to evacuate all the water from every line and the pump by blowing it out. Based on the way the lines are run , despite blowing them out, water will still collect and pool somewhere in the lines. For the cost and easy of letting the pump siphon it through, why not? I know some folks never do and they have luck with that. For a few bucks I am not taking any chances. Maybe it's overkill, but I sleep better.

I agree.:)
2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304,Cummins ISL 425hp,Spartan MM Chassis,2013 Chev Equinox AWD Towed,Ready Brute Elite TowBar/Brake,FMCA #402879,SKP#120487

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
prism wrote:
Nomadac wrote:
Don't forget the lines for your Ice Maker and blow out the plastic valve that they connect to or it will break. The spray hose in the toilet also.

If you have lines for a washer, you need to make sure that antifreeze is in those lines. I do not have a washer so do not know what that procedure is.

I do it as a bit of added insurance. It would be next to impossible to evacuate all the water from every line and the pump by blowing it out. Based on the way the lines are run , despite blowing them out, water will still collect and pool somewhere in the lines. For the cost and easy of letting the pump siphon it through, why not? I know some folks never do and they have luck with that. For a few bucks I am not taking any chances. Maybe it's overkill, but I sleep better.
2013 ACE 29.2

prism
Explorer
Explorer
Nomadac wrote:

Nomadac
Explorer
Explorer

Arnie
2003 Travel Supreme MH
38KSO1 Cummins ISC 350HP
2004 Honda Pilot w/SMI Air Force One Brake Sys.
1963 Pontiac Grand Prix 20' Enclosed Car Trailer

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Born To Travel wrote:
I went to my local hardware store and made one from scratch for a couple bucks.. Just ask for a 3/4 npt x 1/4_ npt pipe bushing.. I made mine from steel but they come in everything from plastic to stainless. Then just thread a quick coupler into the center and you are good to go.. Here is one just for reference.. http://www.amazon.com/Anvil-8700130704-Fitting-Bushing-Galvanized/dp/B005C2U6T6/ref=sr_1_1?s=industr...

This is exactly what I did years ago and have kept the thing through out several rv's. I made mine with a pvc connector and a spare male air nozzle I had laying around. Total cost was less than a buck.

Not mentioned is the fact that this allows you to connect the air line so you can go around the rv and drain all the lines without having a second person to hold the air line in place. You can also use this for the black tank flush line too.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
hipower wrote:
tbred wrote:
Don't forget black tank flush line if you have one.

Never thought about that one and fortunately never had any problems as a result. Not heading for warmer climes for a several more weeks and debating winterizing now or taking a chance that Mother Nature will be kind in the interim.

That may not be a perfect plan since we are getting reports of potential snow later this week.

You can take a chance and run the heat. But for a few minutes and a few dollars I find I sleep better at night if you just winterize. To un-winterize is really simple so why not. All it takes is a small crack anywhere to cost you big bucks and ruin a trip. I do mine a few times in the winter since it might sit a week or so between trips. Beats watching the changing weather every day and a small storm might push you to do a late night in the cold quick winterize anyway.
2013 ACE 29.2

Born_To_Travel
Explorer
Explorer
I went to my local hardware store and made one from scratch for a couple bucks.. Just ask for a 3/4 npt x 1/4_ npt pipe bushing.. I made mine from steel but they come in everything from plastic to stainless. Then just thread a quick coupler into the center and you are good to go.. Here is one just for reference.. http://www.amazon.com/Anvil-8700130704-Fitting-Bushing-Galvanized/dp/B005C2U6T6/ref=sr_1_1?s=industr...

hipower
Explorer
Explorer
tbred wrote:

Never thought about that one and fortunately never had any problems as a result. Not heading for warmer climes for a several more weeks and debating winterizing now or taking a chance that Mother Nature will be kind in the interim.

That may not be a perfect plan since we are getting reports of potential snow later this week.

tbred
Explorer
Explorer

docnascar
Explorer
Explorer
-additional.

blow out plug
Drain freshwater, black, and grey tanks.
Drain low point drains.
Drain hotwater heater and set to bypass before you blow the lines out.
Don't forget your outside shower if you have one.
Tow Vehicle
2017 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
6.0L gas. Double Cab

Travel Trailer
2020 Grand Design 2400BH

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Any RV parts store will have a blowout plug. Make sure you set your psi high enough to blow out water but low enough you don't exceed and rupture a line. Open a faucet, then another etc until they have no water coming out. Beyond that, you want to drain your water heater by unscrewing the plug, bypass your water heater supply lines, and either add pink stuff to your fw tank, and use the water pump to run through the system making sure you get pink stuff coming out of every faucet - including your outside shower - (I forgot that one once and had to replace) your sink sprayer, shower hose and toilet. This will also add pink stuff to your traps so it takes care of that too. If you have a siphon on your water pump (a hose that will draw from an anti freeze container) you can do that as well or instead of running through your fw tank, I do both. for the cost of 2 gals of anti freeze I don't take any chances. We get some hard and long freezes up here on the mountain. I have the whole process down to 15 minutes.
2013 ACE 29.2

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Clicky.

WalMart in the RV section will also have a plastic one for half that price. Just thread it into your city water inlet and apply LESS THAN 50 PSI. That is more then enough to push the water out, plus not do any damage.

You'll be surprised at how much still comes out of things like the toilet and Hot water heater even after draining.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can buy a really crappy blow out plug or make one for a couple of dollars. Take an old white water hose and cut the end off leaving maybe 6 inches of hose, using a hose clamp and the correct quick connect fitting, install the fitting in the end of the hose. Tighten the clamp around it. Screw the hose into your fresh water port. Connect to your compressor and turn the compressor on. I usually set mine to around 10-15 PSI. Go inside and open faucets one a time until there is no water coming out. Repeat until everything is done. Pour a cup of antifreeze into each "P" trap and the toilet and your done.