cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

your opinion on appliance age

milkman41
Explorer
Explorer
I'm considering purchasing a class A and I've been researching both new and used. Wife has opinion that appliance on pre 2010 coach would be asking for a problem. Those of you that may have experience in the field may be able to shed light on the subject. I would appreciate your reply.
30 REPLIES 30

camper19709
Explorer
Explorer
2006 and everything is still going strong! "knock on wood"
Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
1997 including full time use and no problems.

My dad's 1978 appliances are all still working.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Pogoil
Explorer
Explorer
1995 here and all appliances are stock except the water heater as it froze and cracked. Fridge, stove, convection oven, ice maker, all preform great as well as the furnace. I do maintain them on a regular basis.

Seen new ones fail in a year.

Pogoil.

cman60
Explorer
Explorer
97 Fleetwood Flair, all original and working tops.
Every day is a good day to ride, just some better than others.
1997 Fleetwood Flair
Towing either a 24 or 14 ft trailer full of motorcycles

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Ours is 10 yr. old and still working o.k. I think your wife just wants a brand new one! ๐Ÿ™‚
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think her fears are probably unfounded. Anything can fail but for appliances just figure the same failure rate as a household.

Ours are all cira 2000 and are performing flawlessly...yes even the
Norcold.

Or just take the safe route..."Yes Dear"
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
The appliances(unless a fulltimer owned it) would have far less use than Home appliances. Appliances in an RV are no different than a Home appliance. The older they get, the more likely they may need replaced. But, 2010 is like new in the RV world. Can you find out and state what she thinks the problem may be? The price of a NEW motorhome and finding a nice used and then replacing the appliances on the nice used RV would be insignificant in cost. Doug

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
2003 coach. Fridge packed it in in year 7 (norcold). Water heater board in year 7. (Water heater still hanging in there). 11 years of full time use. Shooting for another 10 or 15 years.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Jerrybo66
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Yup. My 2005 fifth wheel is all original except for the microwave. It quit last month. Replaced it on the road one day. Everything else is fine

Yup.. My micro quit also. I took it out of it's case, smacked the micro-switches with the handle of a screwdriver and everything still works.. I am a very technical guy.. :B :B
Support the Country you live in or live in the Country you support
2003 Sierra SP 26'Toy Hauler
1997 F-350, PSD, 4X4, red Crew Cab, long bed.
2007 Arctic Cat Prowler, Arctic Cat 500

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Ours is a 2004, fridge cooling unit died at age 8, Microwave was replaced under warranty way back when, converter when poof at age 7. AC still runs cold, water heater runs both electric and gas. TV was replaced with flat screen for weight savings and remodeling project.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

Jerrybo66
Explorer
Explorer
I think a lot of manufacturers are following the chinese theory of just "make it last past the warranty date". I would have no reservations of considering a purchase of an RV because of the year of appliance. The older, the more reliable... In my opinion...
As a kid, I remember when Mother bought a refrigerator to replace the "ice box", that blocks of ice were bought, put in the top half and the "ice pan" had to be emptied as it melted to cool the food.. It still worked without a flaw as new when she passed away at 93.
I know this has nothing to do with the OP question but I just wanted to impress that older appliances are basically reliable... ๐Ÿ™‚
Support the Country you live in or live in the Country you support
2003 Sierra SP 26'Toy Hauler
1997 F-350, PSD, 4X4, red Crew Cab, long bed.
2007 Arctic Cat Prowler, Arctic Cat 500

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yup. My 2005 fifth wheel is all original except for the microwave. It quit last month. Replaced it on the road one day. Everything else is fine

Wills6_4_Hemi
Explorer
Explorer
Our 95 TT has all original everything except the AC, our 99 TT has all original everything and all systems on both units work as they should. I have seen new units with defective appliances. Its the luck of the draw imo.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I bought my Winnebago Adventurer new in January 2004 and all appliances in the coach are original and are still in good working order after 10 years of use.

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
Our rig is an '84......the oven/range is original (4 burner!) and it bakes better than any I've had in newer rigs. The ALL have a life span....who knows which will last longer than others.
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend