cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cast iron damaged?

don1911
Explorer
Explorer
I have acquired some cast iron conbread fritter pans, and small skillets. Someone "removed rust" with "Evapo-Rust" chemical. The chemical is supposed to be a safe way to remove rust, so maybe its not the problem. Or maybe it is. I don't know. However one of the skillets had paint on it. All the cast iron was soaked in same container at the same time for at least a day, maybe more?. Then I acquire them. And I cleaned and seasoned them. Now my cornbread tastes funny. Can they be "cleaned" of whatever is causing bad taste? or are they ruined?
2008 Keystone Raptor. 5th wheel toy hauler.
New to RVing. Plan to live full-time in RV - soon - I hope.
17 REPLIES 17

sullivanclan
Explorer
Explorer
I concur with the myths. Some soap and water WHEN needed is just fine. I also use the self cleaning oven as well. Using Coke product has worked for some people who have come across wierd tastes.

Never buy new cast iron, unless you plan on your children's children enjoying them. The older the better providing they are in good condition and not damaged.
2003 Ford 450 Jayco Greyhawk 25D
1986 Jeep Renegade
2011 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon JK

sandblast
Explorer
Explorer
Fizz wrote:
I wash our cast iron pans in soap and water all the times.
They are well seasoned and suffer no harm.

Cast Iron Myths

Fizz X2
My cast iron is from my m-i-l and is Griswold and Wagner.
Smooth and shiny!
Wash it wipe it dry and put it away!

3boxerss
Explorer
Explorer
yup my dad would do it the same way his grandpa taught him and now me. Toss the rusty pan in the fire take it out and knock it against something to get the big pieces off(usually moms metal clothesline pole) then wipe it out and reseason.. Sometimes he would take it out warm other times he would wait till the fire went out.
2017 Wildwood XLite 201BHXL
2016 Ford F250
Previous Camper 2001 Bantam B19 by Trail Lite

Foy_R__Smith
Explorer
Explorer
Let your campfire burn down to a good bed of coals! Lay your cast iron in it and cover them with hot coals, then go to bed! The pans will get hot and burn off whatever other people have done. They will cool down on their own overnight, slowly! The next morning wipe them off fry some potatoes in them! That will put a new oil season on them! From then on, use them and oil them down when done!
33' Tahoe 5th wheel toy hauler.
1999 Dodge RAM 3500 with 5.9 Cummins, auto , dual wheels

BigBlockTank
Explorer
Explorer
I've had quite a few rusted cast iron pots and pans. The best way I've found to clean them is to use a little heat, a little oil, a little sea salt, and a little elbow grease. Put the pan on a burner, add a little safflower oil, and a little sea salt, or any salt, I like a little grainy salt for this purpose. For the cornbread pans, I'd use a small brush to get in the nooks and crannies.

Wipe it out, and I'd say that should take care of the taste for you. I have my great grandmothers cast iron, and it's been cleaned like this for over 40 years since I've owned it. I have a big plow disc that I cook on, it's cleaned this way. All my cast iron pots and pans are cleaned like this. I have a 36" griddle and it gets cleaned this way. I forgot to mention, on everything I own, I use a cloth rag to wipe it out. If your cornbread pan is smooth in the indents, I'd probably use a rag as well.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
The one way to destroy cast iron is rapid temp changes. In short, don't put a hot pot in cold water.

Do heat it up in the campfire to burn off any chemicals from the evapo-rust. Let it cool slowly. Or mild dish soap and water before you put it in the fire. Iron is porous and any chemical left after the washing will burn off in the fire. Don't put it in the oven cleaning cycle until you're sure that the chemicals are gone because you don't want to breathe aerosolized chemicals from your oven :w
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Uually
Explorer
Explorer
Just place them in a self cleaning oven,the oven needed cleaned any way. If you don't have a wood fire handy.

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
Fizz wrote:

Cast Iron Myths

Agreed. The cast iron our family uses has been washed in the sink with everything else for generations and is still good as new.

Washed in the sink that is. I'd never put cast iron in a dishwasher. But none of our pots, pans, or sharp knives ever see the inside of a dishwasher anyway. It seems to be more of a cup, plate, utensils and glassware sterilizer after they've been well rinsed. 🙂
’19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer

Cast Iron Myths

2hammers
Explorer
Explorer
I have recently started using cast iron exclusively! I have a skillet that is over 100 years old..its surface is smooth as glass. You can heat it on your coals..however you will get lots of black on your pans. I clean mine at home..in the self cleaning oven..it will smoke up your house! After cleaning..remove from your oven after it has cooled..taking it out too hot can cause it to crack! Season it with whatever you choose..Crisco, vegtible oil, then wipe it real good with a paper towel.. inside and out..leaving too much oil on it will result in a sticky mess! At this point I spray mine with Original Pam..after each use..then wipe down..ready for next use!

don1911
Explorer
Explorer
Good info y'all. Thanks for the suggestions.
2008 Keystone Raptor. 5th wheel toy hauler.
New to RVing. Plan to live full-time in RV - soon - I hope.

Tom_Trostel
Explorer
Explorer
You can accomplish the same heat level if your oven has a "clean" cycle. But, it will smell up the house.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Johno02 wrote:
Throw it in the campfire, and heat to red-hot. Remove carefully and let cool.

I'm not sure you can get it red hot, but get it as hot as possible.

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
I've always understood that cast iron needs to be heated slowly and cooled slowly. Thus, let your heat source go out and die. Take you pans out of that place after they are cooled to the air around them and you.

:C
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006