Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Crock pot Scalloped potatoes???

Tin-bender
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

I am looking for a recipe for scalloped potatoes to do in the crock pot that does not include ham in the mix.

Anyone out there have something that they are willing to share??

Thanks
Tinbender
16 REPLIES 16

vic46
Explorer
Explorer
SWMO wrote:
Does the sauce have a ratio of cheese to the bechamel?

To your taste. Consider the thickening effect of the cheese.
[COLOR=]Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.

SWMO
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
SWMO wrote:

Funny how we grew up calling these potatoes, "scalloped" all our lives. I was in my 40's before I found out I was eating Au Gratin potatoes. LOL!

Actually I always heard Au Gratin and had no idea what scalloped was? If they were made with grated potatoes they were just cheesy potatoes.
2009 Dodge 3500 Laramie, DRW, 4X4, auto, 6.7L, B & W Companion.
Jayco Designer 34RLQS, Mor/Ryde

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
SWMO wrote:

Funny how we grew up calling these potatoes, "scalloped" all our lives. I was in my 40's before I found out I was eating Au Gratin potatoes. LOL!

My understanding the difference between the two is Scalloped are cooked in milk and do not contain cheese and Au Gratin do.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
SWMO wrote:

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Stars101
Explorer
Explorer
Scalloped Potatoes w/Rosemary

2 Tbs. butter
1 medium onion, diced
2 medium cloves garlic, minced (I used jar garlic)
1Tbs. fresh thyme, minced
1 1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground pepper
1 1/2 lbs. (about 5 medium) russet potatoes, peeled & sliced on mandolin
1c. low sodium chicken broth
1c. heavy cream
1 sprig fresh rosemary
4 oz. shredded white cheddar

Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
Melt butter in Dutch Oven over med-high heat. When foaming subsides add onions & cook until soft & lightly browned. Stir occasionally.
Add garlic, thyme, salt & pepper and cook until fragrant - 30 sec.
Add potatoes, rosemary spring, chicken broth and cream.
Bring to a simmer.
Cover, reduce heat to med-low and simmer until potatoes are almost tender - a paring knife can be slipped into & out of a slice with some resistance. Approx. 20 min.
Discard rosemary sprig.
Transfer potatoes to baking dish and sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Bake until cream is bubbling and top is golden brown. About 15 min.

Cool 10 min. before serving.

I have adapted this to a crock pot by browning the onions. Then adding the garlic, thyme, salt and pepper. then I add the chicken stock and cream - stir to mix. Add potatoes and rosemary to crock pot. Pour cream mixture over potatoes and simmer in crock pot until potatoes are done. Then add cheese and bake to melt. I have done this right in the crock pot dish in the oven. Check to see if you can use your crock pot in the oven.

SWMO
Explorer
Explorer

vic46
Explorer
Explorer
I use a simple Mornay sauce for scalloped potatoes. However I cook the potatoes in a traditional oven, not a crock pot. The Mornay sauce is simply a bechamel sauce with cheese added. I use a combination of sharp cheddar and asiago cheese. I also use this same sauce for Mac & Cheese.
Cheers;
Vic
[COLOR=]Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.

dhansen871
Explorer
Explorer
Just a suggestion... if in a hurry, we have found that the Scalloped Potatoes from CostCo are very tasty. But those on a restricted diet, you probably need to stay away from them.
Dave & DW Jodi
Max the Cat (RIP)
SoCal Mountains and Las Vegas

2007 Country Coach 430 Allure
2012 Jeep GC Overland

raindove
Explorer
Explorer
I can't use the boxed stuff any more due to DH's salt restrictions.

I slice my potatoes on a mandolin.
Caramelize some onion and layer it between the layers of potatoes in a dish.
Pour a 5 oz can of carnation condensed milk over it. Add a bit of melted butter.

Cover and bake at 350 until potatoes are soft.
Remove the cover, add shredded cheese and put back in oven until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.

Wanda

1998 Fleetwood Bounder

SWMO
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
I'll second Pat's use of cheddar cheese soup as a stabilizer (keeps cheese from separating) but I also use some real cheddar and velvetta for the cheese flavor.

This is where I would be. A little salt and pepper, probably some sour cream. You could always top it off under the broiler for some authenticity.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
I am a big user of a crockpot, but I find that I would much rather fix my potatoes either in the oven or on top of the stove.

I will use:

1 tub of Philadelphia Garlic Cream Cheese cooking sauce
1 cup of milk
3 lbs. potatoes
1/8 cup parmesean cheese
1/4 cup cheddar cheese
salt and pepper
1 can chicken broth or water

I will put my sliced potatoes in a lidded pot with a small amount of water or broth and add a small amount of salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then add cream cheese and milk. Turn down to low and put the lid on the pot. Cook for approx 20 minutes. Once I add the cream cheese, I do not move the potatoes around. I will check the potatoes for done-ness about 15 minutes in and add the cheese to the top of the the potatoes. Continue cooking until potatoes are soft. Turn the eye off, but leave lid on for another 5 minutes. If my pot is oven safe, I will place under the broiler to brown.

If I use the oven, I will just place all ingredients in a pan and place in oven for 45 minutes, covered and then remove foil for another 15 minutes at 350.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Sportsman2505qs
Explorer
Explorer
SDPat wrote:
First Iโ€™ll be truthful and say I usually use boxed scalloped potatoes. Iโ€™ve tried many recipes for scalloped potatoes from scratch with a white sauce base and they usually curdle on me. But I have had good look with a can of cheddar cheese or nacho cheese soup and a half can of milk with 5-6 medium potatoes. You can doctor it up with some onion or whatever. I usually have better luck with russet potatoes than red potatoes because they seem to get softer. Cooking time will be right around 5 hours.

Agree I like the box ones
2002 KZ Sportsmen 2505qss bought in 2001 Sold 1999F-150
Itasca Spirit 2014
Manatee Hammock

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just leave the ham out of any recipe........

3 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 1/2 cups milk
1 to 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese
5 medium potatoes, thinly sliced

Preparation:
Combine butter, flour, salt and pepper together in saucepan over medium low heat.
Whisk in milk gradually until no lumps remain. Heat and stir until bubbly and thickened.
Stir in cheese to melt.
Put sliced potatoes into a buttered crockpot---- pour cheese sauce over. Cover and cook on low 5 to 7 hours.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
BTW, do you have an aversion to pork or just don't want to use ham? When I sautee my onions I usually use some bacon grease.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk