cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Did We Run Out Of Cows??

SWMO
Explorer
Explorer
We were shocked yesterday when we went replenish the milk supply. Gallons over $5 and a quart of creme $7+?????
2009 Dodge 3500 Laramie, DRW, 4X4, auto, 6.7L, B & W Companion.
Jayco Designer 34RLQS, Mor/Ryde
61 REPLIES 61

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
path1 wrote:
Was thinking about getting another dog. Been 6 months since we lost our "puppy" of 17 years. Maybe I should get a milk goat? About same size as full timing with big dog.

And could mow your lawn if you have one. :C
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Was thinking about getting another dog. Been 6 months since we lost our "puppy" of 17 years. Maybe I should get a milk goat? About same size as full timing with big dog.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
wbwood wrote:
SWMO wrote:
We were shocked yesterday when we went replenish the milk supply. Gallons over $5 and a quart of creme $7+?????

You need to shop somewhere else...we can get a gallon of milk in the $3 price range...
That not the milk you drink, the date is just about out, that is what I use to put down the sink to make the septic work better.
So big a world, so little time to see.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
30 years ago I went to Hawaii and was shocked at how expensive beef and dairy was. What I concluded was, I could eat out cheaper than I could buy groceries for and cook myself. With the price wars at restaurants trying to stay in business, maybe we aren't too far away from that here.

Hawaii has to import a lot of it's staples plus there are those hellacious shipping costs.
We won't discuss how inferior most of their pineapple products taste in comparison to those from the Caribbean. Pfft.

Wellllll I wont. today:D.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
30 years ago I went to Hawaii and was shocked at how expensive beef and dairy was. What I concluded was, I could eat out cheaper than I could buy groceries for and cook myself. With the price wars at restaurants trying to stay in business, maybe we aren't too far away from that here.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
campn4walleye wrote:
.....A pound of the "cheap" butter is almost $5 here...

Yup X2, same here $5 bucks for a pound of butter.
My 2 most favorite can't do without food products - bacon and butter - prices have skyrocketed!

I'm starting to sound like my grandparents did when they were always complaining that they could remember when the the price of a loaf of bread was only 50 cents!

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
campn4walleye wrote:
We have TONS of cows here in WI. Apparently they're holding the milk hostage until we increase their minimum wage to 15 bales of hay per day. :E

You all should be driving methane powered vehicles in WI.

SWMO
Explorer
Explorer
I know the pork increases are a result of a virus that hit the young pigs. The milk however seems to be a secret. It's unlikely to have anything to do with grain, but alfalfa is a different story. It was somewhat of a surprise because we generally get news reports when hay supplies becomes weak.
I wish I could by milk at gas prices, $3.20-$3.50 I can live with for a gallon of milk.

campn4walleye
Explorer
Explorer
We have TONS of cows here in WI. Apparently they're holding the milk hostage until we increase their minimum wage to 15 bales of hay per day. :E

A pound of the "cheap" butter is almost $5 here. No more baking for a while.
2011 Adventurer 910FBS truck camper,Torklift tie downs,Fastguns & Wobbl-stopprs
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW 6.7L CTD,4x4,LB,CC,auto,3.73 axle,General 17" on/off rd
2008 Lund 1825 Explorer Sport,115 Merc,9.9 kicker,Torklift Super Hitch,42" Supertruss
USAF ret E-9&E-7

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
SWMO wrote:
The dirty secret is said to be that it takes more energy to produce ethanol than ethanol produces.Apparently once the tractor is gassed up it's down hill from there. Bolivia, I believe it is, relies heavily on ethanol, but they use sugar cane that is a byproduct of sugar production.

I watched a presentation in my farming area on alternatives to corn/ethanol. Very interesting how many other alternatives there are to corn.

Switch grass. Greener, cleaner, and cheaper.

Here is an article on it. Note the date 2008.
Yup, promises from the gov to fund.....and never happens because it would work.
..."Cellulosic ethanol contains more net energy and emits significantly fewer greenhouse gases than ethanol made from corn."...

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/grass-makes-better-ethanol-than-corn/

The bigger America gets the harder it is for the citizens to have a say on what we want and what IS better for the earth.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

SWMO
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Food prices went up 2% overall last year
Expected to go up 4% overall this year

Meat has gone up 10%
Dairy has gone up same

FOOD prices will continue to increase

Another reason is we grow corn to put in our gas tank, resulting in much higher cattle feed prices. No other country on earth can figure that one out.

The dirty secret is said to be that it takes more energy to produce ethanol than ethanol produces.Apparently once the tractor is gassed up it's down hill from there. Bolivia, I believe it is, relies heavily on ethanol, but they use sugar cane that is a byproduct of sugar production.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Food prices went up 2% overall last year
Expected to go up 4% overall this year

Meat has gone up 10%
Dairy has gone up same

FOOD prices will continue to increase

Another reason is we grow corn to put in our gas tank, resulting in much higher cattle feed prices. No other country on earth can figure that one out.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Time to start raising and growing your own.....
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

edm3rd
Explorer
Explorer
We're also seeing a run-up in fresh pork prices locally, everything from sausage and bacon to loins, shoulders, butts, and ham. Chicken has not increased much.