cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dinners without a refrigerator

hobbssb
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in need of dinner ideas that use ingredients that are canned or packaged - or anything that doesn't need refrigeration.
Thanks for your thoughts!
15 REPLIES 15

RoadLife
Explorer
Explorer
spaghetti with canned sauce. Or Linguine with clams.

chicken rice casserole using canned chicken. tuna casserole too.

clam chowder using canned milk and cream of mushroom soup.

tacos. in crock pot put canned chicken, a can of black beans, a can of corn, a diced onion, and taco seasoning. cook on high to warm. Shred chicken. Makes great tacos.
ROADLIFE

RV Part Timers Blog

2003 40' Allegro BUS - 2 slides
2013 Ford F150 XLT 4X4 OffRoad 2014 XC60 Volvo
Shasta - Australian Shepherd; Boomer - Brittany;
Pancho - border terrier

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
MREs

Shelf life >25 years.

There are also "real" cured meats (ham, bacon, corned beef, etc.), cured the old way before there was refrigeration.
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

Stim
Explorer
Explorer
I like a can of Hormel Chili mixed with cooked Ramen noodles! Fast and easy.

SWMO
Explorer
Explorer
Tiger4x4RV wrote:
Cheese without refrigeration?

When did it need it? I'm talking real cheese like cheddar.
2009 Dodge 3500 Laramie, DRW, 4X4, auto, 6.7L, B & W Companion.
Jayco Designer 34RLQS, Mor/Ryde

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Cheese without refrigeration?
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

SWMO
Explorer
Explorer
Canned Hormel tamales with a can of chili over them and some cheese.
2009 Dodge 3500 Laramie, DRW, 4X4, auto, 6.7L, B & W Companion.
Jayco Designer 34RLQS, Mor/Ryde

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Revisit the canned/prepared food isle in your grocery store. Add vegetables to bulk up the meal.

canned chili + rice + veg

Indian meals (come in shelf-stable pouches) + rice

Hormel compleats (shelf-stable meals) + veg

Fantastic Foods tabouli mix + veg + chunks of shelf-stable tofu (MoriNu is one brand)

Breadsticks on the side
Fruit (fresh or canned) for dessert
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
In my back packing days we made lots of rice dishes and caught a few fish day to day.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

workhardplayha1
Explorer
Explorer
12 volt cooler works as a temporary substitute for a frig. .

swtgran
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a dehydrator all manner of foods can be dried to use short term and rehydrated with boiling water, including stews, chili, spaghetti. You would know what is in the dishes. Even different dessert items can be prepared.

These are for relatively short term. You can also make prepackaged jars of foods with the individual dried items layered in and prepare at camp. These last much, much longer.

http://www.dehydrate2store.com/recipes/
http://www.backpackingchef.com/backpacking-recipes.html

terry r.
Swtgran
2007 Casita 17ft SD
2005 Toyota Tundra

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
You can buy canned beef or chicken with gravy, and add to some pasta shells that you can boil separatly.

Rice with cream of chicken soup. Add a can of chicken (looks like canned tuna) if you like.

Tuna Helper.

package of alfrado noodles (any flavor) and add some meat to it (canned).

I don't know how to cook spam and make it tasty, I guess the stuff starts out a little to salty for my liking. Back in WW2, Spam was about the only meat product shipped to Hawaii, and became a favorite of the locals there. They served it with pineapple, and many other ways. Probably terriaki sause and pineapple would sound tempting.

Are you able to pick up cold things and then cook them within a 2 hour timeframe? This is acceptable if sightseeing near a town, and you are near a supermarket, but would not work for dry camping in Sequoia National Park, as the local markets are very expensive, or not close by, and driving 10 miles where gas is very expensive is also a expensive thing to do.

What is your objective? Dry camping away from the crowds? Or are you just thinking about stocking up the RV in case of emergency, and want something tasty, in event of earthquake or other reason to need to rely on your own stocked supply of food?

I was at Costco, and they had some packaged foods, good for say 10 people meals, of various things like tomato soup, potato chowder, and other such things. While not cheap, it will last for a couple of years, and is stored without refrigeration.

While on this subject - has anyone tried re-hydrating beef jerky? What happens to it? Can it be used for something like taco meat once you soak it in water? Never tried it myself, just wondering. I guess it might be OK in a soup or stew, if nothing else was around.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have a micro wave?
The availability of un refrigerated micro foods/dinners are endless.

Bertolli has just come out with 4 'non refrigerated' different pasta dinners that IMHO taste like they came from a fine dining restaurant!

The new 'packages' of all the different tuna's taste good also.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Corned beef hash.

Dinty Moore Beef Stew.

Soup.

PBJ

Get a can of NIDO milk. Powdered whole milk, not skim.

Most anything Pasta.

You can also use canned chicken or canned beef. Once it's in a stew or sauce it's not so bad.

I've spent time in many a 3rd world country where refrigeration at home didn't exist. We never seemed to lack things to eat -- it was just different, and we did have to be a bit careful. Take a look in a Mexican supermarket -- you may spot some good products there.

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
Spam and Vienna Sausages bring back great memories.

Miles
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO