cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Favorite soup recipes

Reader1
Explorer
Explorer
A couple years ago we had a posting asking for favorite soup recipes. We have many new members so asking again. As fall approaches one of my favorite foods for camping is soup. Can you please post your favorite soup recipe - meat or meatless.
22 REPLIES 22

rolling_rhoda
Explorer
Explorer
Cream of Tomato
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp flour
2 Tbsp finely chopped onion
In a large saucepan, melt butter and add flour and onion (increase flour and butter by 1-2 Tbsp for thicker soup). Cook, stirring, for three minutes on medium heat. Add:
3 c. Milk
3/4 tsp salt
While milk heats, (do not boil), in a small sauce pan with medium high heat combine
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1 15 oz can petite diced tomatoes with about half their liquid
Bring tomatoes to a boil, cook for 1 minute, stirring.
Stir tomatoes into hot milk base. Serve.

For a time saver, I cook the roux with onions, cook the tomatoes with sugar let them cool. Then I put them in Food Saver bags and freeze. When we want homemade soup, it takes just a few minutes to chuck the frozen mix into a pan of milk and heat it up.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here's one that can be done in a slow cooker as written or simply simmer it in a dutch oven on the fire for a couple of hours.
Slow-Cooker Stuffed Pepper Soup
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

hokeypokey
Explorer
Explorer
GREEN PEPPER SOUP: Browned hamburger or ground turkey,
chopped onion, small amount of diced celery, 14 oz. can diced tomato, 1 can tomato soup, 1/2 cup ketchup, 2 diced green peppers, 2 Tblsp. brown sugar, 1 Tblsp. soy sauce, 1/8 tsp. garlic powder, 1/4 tsp. each: black pepper, paprika, cumin. 28 oz. beef broth OR 3 beef bouillon cubes in 3 cups hot water. When its tender, add 2 cups cooked rice.

hokeypokey
Explorer
Explorer
I save all clean veg cuttings, peelings, bones in a plastic pail in the freezer. This is cooked in a large crock pot with water/seasonings. When done, I strain and discard the "stuff". Then I have very delicious broth and I store it in quart jars (do not fill over 3 cups so there's room for expansion) and store in freezer. I remove the lid and microwave frozen broth for 3 minutes or so. Use for soup. Makes the house smell amazing.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
Cajun Chicken Stew

2 large boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1" cubes
1 pkg andouille sausage, cut into 1/4" rounds
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 pint mushrooms, sliced
1 carrot, choppped
4 potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2" cubes
2 cans chicken broth
1-2 tsp cajun seasoning
1 can cream of chicken
1 can cream of mushroom
1 lb cheddar cheese, shredded

Put chicken into large heavy pot with a small amount of oil and cook until almost done, add sausage and cook 5 more minutes. Add veggies, stir well and add cajun seasoning, to taste (it may be hot), then add cans of chicken broth. Cook until veggies are done and broth has reduced to about half (20-30 minutes). Add soups and stir well, then add half of the cheese. Use remaining cheese for topping.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
2 fresh full turkey wings
4 carrots
2 full stalks of celery, leaves included the more celery leaves the better.
2 boxes of Swanson 99% fat free chicken soup. Do not use the fat free one

That's it!

Put in crock pot on high over night.
When done take out celery stalks and wings and discard.

IMHO Beats any chicken soup recipe hands down that I have tried and I think I have tried them all.

Flavor will knock your socks off!:C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
So many soups but one we make frequently in the dutch oven on the campfire:
After roasting the chuck roast we remove the meat. In go the chopped onions for browning in the meat bits and grease. When browned, we add chicken or beef stock. We'll eat that night's portion of pot roast with veg and the rest of the meat goes back in the pot to simmer. By the time we're finished, the simmered meat & broth is ready for leftover veg, diced potatoes and whatever else is leftover in the fridge. Even macaroni goes nice.

By the time the dishes are done we have an excellent stew or soup for lunch and supper the next day.
Seasonings are simple: minced garlic, salt and pepper.
Veg we often add: carrots, turnips, peas, fresh spinach, kale, green beans, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts
Things we never add to the pot: beans, cream or cream sauce, broccoli
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
This is my favorite soup/stew in Mexico. There are lots of variations, but it's all good.
It's very nurturing.

Posole

2 T Olive oil
1 large Sweet onion, coarsely chopped
6 small Mixed sweet peppers, coarsely chopped
1.5 pounds Skinless, boneless chicken thighs, coarsely chopped (or roasted chicken)

Lightly brown onion in a large heavy soup pot over medium heat, add peppers to soften. Remove onions and peppers, set aside, add chicken and lightly brown.

1 T Ground cumin
1 T Mexican oregano
1 T Chili powder
7 ounces Green chilies, diced
1/2 tsp. Grated garlic

Add onions and peppers to soup pot together with spices, sautรฉ and coat chicken.

29 ounces Canned white hominy, drained and rinsed
29 ounces Canned pinto beans
10 ounces Canned diced tomatoes with juice
6 cups Chicken broth
6 Corn tortillas

Add hominy, beans and tomatoes and simmer for 45 minutes. Cut tortillas into thin strips and add just before serving. Serve with the condiments below.

Red and Green salsas Diced avocado
Red pepper flakes Diced fresh tomatoes
Grated Mexican cheeses Fresh cilantro
Sour cream Lime wedges
Sliced radishes Sliced cabbage
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L