cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hamburger Press

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Fourth, the Family will be here and I need to make several hamburgers. We have found some full size fresh Briouch buns that we like and are full size for hamburgers.
We have a tupper ware patty former and a metal one hidden in some corner somewhere.
What I want is a traditional full size or 5 inch hamburger press or patty maker. I have found one or two on the Internet taht are eighty dollars or more and don't look that well made.
There are countless offerings of the Chinese, under different names of 4 in, 4 3/8 in, 4 1/2 in, with most being 4 inch.
I want an adjustable thickness 5inch or a little larger hamburger press.
Anyone seen such a critter?
21 REPLIES 21

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Jim Shoe:

Well that's what we do on web-boards, isn't it?

Here at home, it's "Yes, Dear". Confrontation's a lot easier from a keyboard!

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
These posts remind me of a trick I used in school when I didn't know the answer to the original question.
1. Explain why it's a bad question.
2. Suggest a better question for which you know the answer.
3. Answer the new question.
And, no, it didn't work in school, either. ๐Ÿ™‚
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
down home wrote:
I knew I had bought a hamburger press sometime, in the past. Wife found it yesterday among the stuff we have still to unpack, still in the box. It is cheap and aluminum and fits together like two big washers on a skinny screw. It is five inches across.
I form them tight to use on the grill. I never turn it until I think it is tanned or whatever and of course it isn't stuck to the grill by then. Turn it over and wait to see clear juices running out or with just a tinge of pink. Sometimes I might slightly prick the center if it seems too long with the edge of the spatula. i don't like my hamburgers too done nor do I like pressing them over and over to get them the consistency, of Mc Donalds or a frisbee and tasteless and dry as cotton. I don't always get them perfect. The grill says 500 degrees but it won't make it and I close the cover until I need a peak or the outside is not cooking right. got to seal in those juices. i use a little Seasoning in between two layers of the hamburger, Not much just a little. I use 3/4 coarse ground chuck. Thinking of trying ground Sirloin.

I like them between 3/4 inch to one inch thick to start. The standard 5 inch diameter cooks down to git a full size bun. No more "wheres the beef."

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
I knew I had bought a hamburger press sometime, in the past. Wife found it yesterday among the stuff we have still to unpack, still in the box. It is cheap and aluminum and fits together like two big washers on a skinny screw. It is five inches across.
I form them tight to use on the grill. I never turn it until I think it is tanned or whatever and of course it isn't stuck to the grill by then. Turn it over and wait to see clear juices running out or with just a tinge of pink. Sometimes I might slightly prick the center if it seems too long with the edge of the spatula. i don't like my hamburgers too done nor do I like pressing them over and over to get them the consistency, of Mc Donalds or a frisbee and tasteless and dry as cotton. I don't always get them perfect. The grill says 500 degrees but it won't make it and I close the cover until I need a peak or the outside is not cooking right. got to seal in those juices. i use a little Seasoning in between two layers of the hamburger, Not much just a little. I use 3/4 coarse ground chuck. Thinking of trying ground Sirloin.

SWMO
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing kills a hamburger like a press. Use the money to buy a small kitchen scale to weigh portions and then lightly form the patties, you can thank me later after you taste a juicy hamburger. LOL
2009 Dodge 3500 Laramie, DRW, 4X4, auto, 6.7L, B & W Companion.
Jayco Designer 34RLQS, Mor/Ryde

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
Is there a reason that the Costco pre-pressed burgers don't taste good? Hand pressed is the only way to go.
Yes there is! Fresh ground beef tastes best. Hand pressed, too. I like the little raggedy edges on 'em, not all tidy and factory-looking!

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
Is there a reason that the Costco pre-pressed burgers don't taste good? Hand pressed is the only way to go.

AMEN to that.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

rvnutts
Explorer II
Explorer II
This isn't a press but a neat way I found to freeze, thaw and makek patties without ever touching the meat. I put my 2 pound pkg. of meat in a gallon freezer bag,take my rolling pin and roll it out flat all the way to the top. It freezes very well and thaws fast because it is flat! I use scissors to cut from the middle of the bag all the way to the bottom and then left and right to make flaps. With it open I then take a butter knife and cut into squares, however big I want my burgers. I pick it up by the flaps and put on a plate to hand to the dh to grill. Never touched the meat! Lynn
Brian and Lynn
2017 Ram 2500 SLT 6.7L
2013 Heartland Big Country 3250ts

alaska_dennis
Explorer
Explorer
I used a hamburger press as a child to make paddies for my parents snack bar. I saw this topic and wanted to see how other people were making burger paddies
As I was reading the thread I saw one good paddie ring. A stainless steel worm clamp about 3/8 inches high and 4 or 5 inches in diameter. Make the paddies then the worm clamp can be washed and ready to go for next time.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
My neighbor uses an extra large tuna can with both ends cut out.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
Many years ago, I made a press with an empty 26 oz. juice can with both ends cut out. The plunger was a 1/2" thick plastic disc with a 12" long 1" dia. dowel rod for the handle.

The separators between the burgers were 5" squares of waxed paper.
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

MickeyBrennan
Explorer
Explorer
rvten wrote:
You do not want to over compress the patties.
Just enough to hold together. They will be more juicy this way.

No squishing and no pushing on them as they grill. Also, only one flip.

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
You do not want to over compress the patties.
Just enough to hold together. They will be more juicy this way.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk