cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Perfect Camping Grill/Smoker

GrumpyGator
Explorer
Explorer
First of all, I don't work for this company. I am merely a totally happy customer.

For an absolutely perfect RV Grill/Smoker look no further than the Green Mountain Grills Davy Crockett Model.

This grill cooks from 150 degrees to 550 degrees. It has an app for either iPhone or Android so you can control everything from your phone.

It is powered by 12 volts, and they provide all you need to hook up. You can hook directly to battery, to an outlet on your vehicle, or via a converter that plugs into 120v outlet. All included in the price.

It ain't cheap, but it is a better value than any other smoker for the RV market you will find anywhere. Plus it works. I have a full size GMG smoker at home and it works as well as any smoker on the market. Plus, GMG makes not just smokers, but grills that will put a sear on your steaks like the best propane or gas grill available.

Bottom line on this smoker/grill is $399. Yep, that's it.

You won't find a better all-purpose grill out there.

You'll be the envy of the campground with all that smokey flavor coming from your campsite. Maybe that's not good. You might have to feed them all. LOL!!!
2015 Keystone Passport Elite 23RB
15 REPLIES 15

davosfam
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have a Rec Tec? What are your thoughts? We are specifically looking at the Rec Tec Mini Portable.
Shannen and Rick, empty nesters and loving it!
2015 Keystone Cougar 333MKS
2005 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

Pogoil
Explorer
Explorer
I will add this,

I have BBQ-ed on a Weber when we first got married when life was simpler before kids. Swore it was the best method. My BBQ amazed neighbors and friends. Did this for first 5 years.

When the kids came along and life was more hectic I switched to gas for speed and convenience and yes my food quality suffered. Did this for next 10 years.

Went back to Weber Kettle for next 10 years and got back high quality food.

But for the last year I have been experimenting with a Trager portable we bought for the MH. At first I was not convinced but after a few uses I was. Let me tell you I am fully convinced that the best food is coming off it. Now when I get home from a trip the Trager gets unloaded and put on my back patio to use at home as well.

Tri Tips, ribs, pork butt, brisket, chicken, pizza, pork chops, you name it. All of it is better from the pellet smoker.

For what it is worth the Trager is much less cost than the Green Mountain. But when my Trager burns up I will explore the Green Mountain because of the ability to hold a small turkey.

Pogoil.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
GrumpyGator wrote:
I understand brand loyalty, but for myself, I usually look for the better buy, since my dollars are hard to come by. I'd much rather have a controller that I can actually control, rather than just low, medium, and high settings. I'd also much rather have more space on which to grill/smoke.

As for the folks who choose to cook only over wood. Bravo to you. I assume you'll also be be camping in the primitive area of the campground or just out under the stars without the benefits of a new-fangled RV

Some of you have the advantage of grilling outdoors at your stick and brick homes; I envy you the experience as it'll never happen at my end. Actually, that's not true. I can grill in the park on Independence and Memorial Days excepting that I'm rarely home then, LOL. As a result I look forward to time spent cooking over a fire pit or Weber whether utilising a tent or RV.

I think one of the nice things about camping is all the choices one has to enjoy the time as one chooses.

Enjoy your new toy and may it serve you well:).

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
We all do what we gotta do to get the job done. With my TC, it would be nice to pull a trailer that was fully outfitted as a large kitchen, complete with the stick home grills and smoker.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

GrumpyGator
Explorer
Explorer
I understand brand loyalty, but for myself, I usually look for the better buy, since my dollars are hard to come by. I'd much rather have a controller that I can actually control, rather than just low, medium, and high settings. I'd also much rather have more space on which to grill/smoke.

As for the folks who choose to cook only over wood. Bravo to you. I assume you'll also be be camping in the primitive area of the campground or just out under the stars without the benefits of a new-fangled RV
2015 Keystone Passport Elite 23RB

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
PRodacy wrote:
Traeger has a similar, more portable version.

I have looked at both and there is no way you could get a turkey in The small Traeger. The height of the lid really limits what you can put in it.

Next door to me, here in the park, is the Davey Crockett loaded with ribs that the Traeger doesn't have room for. The DC holds temps much better that the Traeger.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
PA12DRVR wrote:
With due recognition that it's the cook and not the equipment that matters, if I'm camping, my grill is going to use either wood or charcoal, not electricity and pellets.

My buddy has one of these and turns out some decently cooked food.
Also in the wood and charcoal camp. You NEVER know when the Zombie Apocalypse will begin.

chiseye
Explorer
Explorer
Traeger junior Costco 300 bucks 2 bags pellets,cook book and grill cover. Bad to the bone

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
With due recognition that it's the cook and not the equipment that matters, if I'm camping, my grill is going to use either wood or charcoal, not electricity and pellets.

My buddy has one of these and turns out some decently cooked food.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

PRodacy
Explorer
Explorer
Traeger has a similar, more portable version.
2012 GMC 3500 dually 4x4
2006 OKanagan 90W
2003 Jeep Rubicon, modified for off road performance

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
magnus, I don't think that it is the grill that is being envied but the food coming off of it. I've had camping neighbors salivating around the perimeter of my camp site a few times.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
GrumpyGator wrote:

You won't find a better all-purpose grill out there.

Actually I do have a better all purpose grill than this and it only cost $99.

You'll be the envy of the campground with all that smokey flavor coming from your campsite. Maybe that's not good. You might have to feed them all. LOL!!!

Now this is sounding like a commercial. In 40+ years of camping I've never seen anyone envy a grill.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
We are fulltimers and carry a Davey Crockett with us. Yesterday we put a corned beef that had a spice rub on the Davey Crockett for 6 hours at 275 degrees. Wow, it was wonderful.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Looks nice but cumbersome.