cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick meal ideas for late night arrival?

kelly94942
Explorer
Explorer
I love cooking and take advantage of time in the RV with friends and family to make somewhat elaborate meals. But when we somewhere arrive Friday evening after work (sometimes around 8 PM if we had to work late and/or are going to a park a few hours away), I want something FAST!!! This recipe for sausage and potatoes has been great lately, but I'd love other ideas too. What do you make when you arrive somewhere late?
Me and wonderful DH
Previous #1: 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 299BHS, 2007 Chevy Tahoe
Previous #2: 2010 Carriage Carri-Lite 36MAX1, 2008 Ford F-450 (full timed for two years)
Current: 2013 Dutchman Kodiak 300BHSL, 2004 Ford Excursion
54 REPLIES 54

s1214
Explorer
Explorer
Sloppy Joes. Brown ground beef, add tomato, barbecue sauce, etc. serve.

Poppy___Nana
Explorer
Explorer
Try a "stuffed" baked potato......

Microwave a baked potato - to almost done.
Cut open and stuff it with sliced ham, or roast beef and maybe some cheese - put some Ranch or Thousand Island dressing (or your favorite) - stick back in microwave to warm through and finish cooking - good eating - quick and easy!
Leo & Kathy
Upstate, NY
in the Adirondacks

2013 Rubicon 2900 Toy Hauler
2008 - Ford F250 Super Crew 4x4

RayUSMC
Explorer
Explorer
Beer and a chili burger.

MillicentLake
Explorer
Explorer
Does it have to be a hot meal? Otherwise just take some deli items & cut-up veggies to make sandwiches, a chef's salad or a snack plate when you get there.

Could you make rigatoni with pasta sauce at home, put in a large plastic bag and heat with a loaf of garlic bread? Or pre-cook baked potatoes in your oven and micro upon arrival, with sour cream, bacon crumbles and butter? How about a sliced ham, with a pre-cooked container of au gratin potatoes?

Take pre-cooked bacon (cook it yourself at home, in the oven, rather than the tasteless cooked packaged stuff) or ham and whip up scrambled eggs upon arrival, with toast?

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Not so much for late arrives, as for long trips. I wired a 400 watt full-sine-wave inverter into the kitchen circuit. "Cooking" time before our arrival we will stop and put dinner in the crock-pot (which is put in the kitchen sink)
So when we arrive, hot crock-pot dinner.
If we are going to be stopped for more then a few minutes we turn off the crock-pot
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

den60
Explorer
Explorer
If it were me arriving late and was hungry, I would want to keep it lite like maybe a sandwich or just have a few snacks. I don't sleep well with a full stomach. What do you mean by a quick meal? 30 minutes or less or 10 minutes or less? I can fix a complete meal in less than 30 minutes from frozen. Example: last night I had fish, 8 oz Cod from the freezer, baby baked potatoes and asparagus. Start to finish took 20 minutes. I would call that a quick meal. Last week I fixed a small pork roast, from the freezer, mashed potatoes, gravy and corn on the cob, all under 20 minutes. I try to keep either a chicken salad or tuna salad in the fridge ready to go for sandwiches though. It doesn't get any quicker than a sandwich. Most of my food I buy at the store, bring it home to the RV and cook it up, divide it and then freeze it in bags. I also try to keep about two weeks worth of food in the freezer ready to go. This is just my idea of quick meals.
2005 Newmar Northern Star 40'
350 Cat, Allison Trans
2000 Honda CR-V Toad

Pop-Pop_C
Explorer
Explorer
Rotisserie chickens from the grocery store? Walmart, krogers, thomthumb.
Works well forus!

JT
Explorer
Explorer
My usual 'first night supper' is a baked chicken and potato or pasta salad; 'bake and make' early that morning or the night before, refrigerate. No 'post arrival at the campground' prep time and using paper plates saves wash-up time.

oldtrojan66
Explorer
Explorer
Before you leave home, triple wrap in foil brats, onions, small red potatoes, and wire package to your exhaust manifold, if accessible. When you arrive use gloves and remove said package from manifold, pile on the pepper jack cheese and have a feast!
2007 Jayco Designer 36RLTS
2006 F350 DRW 6.0 PSD (powerstrokehelp.com)
When you're born, everyone is smiling and you're crying. Live so that when you die everyone else is crying and you're smiling!

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
For our first night on the road or a late night arrival, I usually make home made soup before we leave and freeze it and then let it thaw in the ice box while we're traveling. I also make corn muffins and freeze them and take them to reheat.
Or, I take chili (pre cooked and frozen) to thaw and heat and pour over fritos and top with shredded cheese. yum!
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

trnfla
Explorer
Explorer
We buy these to make for a quick dinner on Friday night arrivals Hormel Meats along with some noodles and vegs.
Now 2004 Winnie Minnie 31C
Had 2007 Zeppelin 190 Hybrid,
1999 30' Dutchman Classic FW

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Francesca - That is equally good good ole Pork-n-Beans all stirred up together and heated up. We always try to find a WALMART with food close to the Campground where we pick up a couple days of good stuff to eat before arriving at the camp ground.

WALMART usually have the hamburger patties already made up. Goes good with Tostada rounds too and WALMART pre-made salads bowls

We setup next to guy and his big dog on one trip and his dog went crazy when we fixed all of that up. Had a bunch left over so fixed him and his owner up a good warm meal of it too hehe... The Dawg came over and greated me every morning the next few days after that...

Another quick thing to do is wrap full potatoes in saran wrap and microwave for 4 minutes. Makes the best baked potatoes in quick order.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
lots of excellent meals for 2 in the frozen dinner section.
bumpy

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
ScottG wrote:
Chili dogs!
Double ditto - Sonic Coney with a Sonic limeade. If we want homestyle cooking to save money, Herself freezes extra of her lasagne and we nuke that. Serve it up with a salad.o
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Last weekend we were on our way and stopped about 1/2 way for Chinese take out. Had it for dinner when we arrived at camp and leftovers for lunch the next day. A Papa Murphy's pizza will last refrigerated for a day and can be picked up before you leave town. Chili dogs are also one of our regulars. We love Costco's Kirkland Pulled Pork which makes great sandwiches.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk