cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Quick road food

DeanRIowa
Explorer
Explorer
We plan to do lots of daily sightseeing while on a vacation to Blacks Hills, Yellowstone, and Grand Tetons.

Most likely we will not be returning to the campsite during the day and we would like to compile a list of easy to prepare cold/hot lunch meals for the road.

I'll start off the list:

Cold
  • Ham or turkey Sandwiches
  • Ham or Eggs or Tuna or Chicken salad sandwiches
  • Peanut butter or nutella and Jelly
  • Tuna, tomatoes, onion, jalapenos on crackers
  • Ham & Cheese on crackers

Hot
  • Hotdogs or brats or chili dogs
  • Quesodillas
  • Hamburgers
  • Pizza foil packets - Pita, sauce, fixing, cheese
2015 Summerland 2820 BHGS
2016 Silverado
DW Esmeralda, DS Mathew, DD Natalie
32 REPLIES 32

hokeypokey
Explorer
Explorer
Dark bread and a jar of cheese whiz, celery sticks and a jar of peanut butter, grapes, mandarin oranges are all good travelers.

Set the crockpot up with some type of meat before you walk out in the morning and you have a head start on dinner when you get home.

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Couple of Costco Rotisserie chickens picked apart before you leave -- you'll eat for a week for 10 bucks!

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
We often fish for long periods of time on our boat. For lunch we enjoy sandwiches and lunch meat.

But occasionally I will bake breaded shrimp or Tyson Honey Chicken Tenders and take them along with a small container of cocktail sauce or ketchup. I keep them in the cooler, of course. You could do the same in your truck. Even cold, flat bread pizzas would be nice. Pimento cheese spread is also good. And slices of chesse and lunch meat with some cucumber or other veggies is also tasty.

Leftover chicken is also a favorite.

I will watch this post for some additional ideas!

Enjoy!
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

cyntdon2010
Explorer
Explorer
Trail Mix , Raisins
2010 lacrosse T.T 318 bhs 34 ft,blue ox-tow bar,2005 FORD F-150 larait super crew,Firestone ready rite-air bags lift kit

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
Perfect. Yes I agree totally. No microwave or crock pot necessary.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
DeanRIowa wrote:
I was thinking about items that could be eaten will travelling in the tow vehicle and not at campsite while sightseeing.

Dean

Buy a good wide mouth s/s insulated thermos and put most anything hot mentioned above in it the morning before you go out. Or buy an icepack that sits atop a plastic container and keep your pre-made salads or sandwiches cold.

Kennedy64
Explorer
Explorer
When my kids were younger and I had more time at home, I would get the bread maker out and make a few loaves but would stop the bread maker before it cooked the bread. I would then wrap some hotdogs, ham & cheese (or any lunchmeat you like), pizza sauce & fixin's, etc...like little Hot Pockets. Cook in the oven then freeze once cooled off. When the kids wanted a snack, they just thawed it out in the microwave and off they went.
They have requested some of these for this summers camping adventures.

ridingfamily4
Explorer
Explorer
I like to pack salami, cheese's, crackers, olives, hummus, artichoke dip/spread, fruit and a bottle of wine
The one who laughs last, thinks slowest! :B

2001 Minnie Winnie
2004 Enclosed trailer
2012 Artic Cat Wildcat
2013 Honda 400
2010 Honda 250
1991 Navy at A School
1995 Getting ready for college!
2001 Boxer

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
DeanRIowa wrote:
I was thinking about items that could be eaten will travelling in the tow vehicle and not at campsite while sightseeing.

Dean

10 minutes in a rest stop and all things are relevant options.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
Potted meat, small baguette, cheese, apple
Currently Between RVs

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
We just take a couple of sandwich's, breakfast bars and water when moving longer distances.

Nourishment is all we need.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

DeanRIowa
Explorer
Explorer

Dean
2015 Summerland 2820 BHGS
2016 Silverado
DW Esmeralda, DS Mathew, DD Natalie

cyntdon2010
Explorer
Explorer
leftover, beef stew, soup, just freeze some in a quart size bag.

dinner for 2

Bring a couple of Tee Bones Steaks and bake potatoes for the grill.. slow down and enjoy
2010 lacrosse T.T 318 bhs 34 ft,blue ox-tow bar,2005 FORD F-150 larait super crew,Firestone ready rite-air bags lift kit

RandACampin
Explorer
Explorer
Make boil in bag meals before going and keep them in the freezer. Make spaghetti, beanie weenie, chicken marsala, chicken and rice, etc. Place into vacuum bags thaw and then either microwave or boil for quick home cooked dinner.
HEY CHECK IT OUT!! http://www.rvingoutpost.com

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Another lover of precooked foods here.

To be heated in 15 minutes or less:

shredded pork served with egg noodles or on a bun

spaghetti and meat sauce

Italian beef for sandwiches

Tex Mex seasoned meat sauce for tacos

Soup and panini type sandwich which grill nicely in a waffle iron

Many more but you get the idea.

Don't feel like turning on heat?

Chef's salad
Tuna or chicken Nicoise
Seviche
Cheese and cold cut platter. Extra nice with sliced bread and fruit.
Greek salad with feta, salami and olives
Gazpacho