cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Soup Time

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Love soup in the winter and found one that I really enjoy and it's so quick and versatile.
Dirty Little Secret Soup
5 or 6 cups of broth, (we use veggie, but chicken would be good also)
2 - 1 lb bags of mixed veggies, (we use the California mix but its what you like really)
1 can diced tomatoes
2 cans of beans, (Great Northern or what ever you have in the pantry)
4 cloves minced garlic, (actually I just smash it and skin it and toss it in)
1 teasp dried basil, 1/2 teasp dried oregano
A shake or two of Tabasco sauce.
Salt and Pepper, cant have to much pepper

Then check refrig for any leftovers, pasta, diced potatoes, corn, rice, chicken, zucchini, wrinkly cherry tomatoes, doesn't matter, toss it in.
Whoops, directions: open and dump in pan, heat and serve.
Quick, fast, low cal, tasty. Makes enough for family of 4 with some leftover for breakfast the next morning.
32 REPLIES 32

KLO
Explorer
Explorer
I like to doctor up tomato soup and the one I made last night was a winner. Just a can of Campbell tomato soup, I use healthy request, a can of fat free half and half and 2 cubes of pesto. My pesto is homemade and froze in one tablespoon quantity so 2 tablespoons pesto. Oh my was it good and with a grilled cheese sandwich it made a full meal for me!

BigBlockTank
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
BigBlockTank wrote:
I'm in the southwest, Tucson, AZ, so menudo, albondigas, and pasole are big soups for us. Menudo on Saturday, and Sunday, for hangovers, and the others for dinner other nights hahahaha.....

BBT, I don't see you as a soup for dinner kind of guy. Maybe soup with dinner?

Hahaha busted as a big guy. But SD, I make a very hearty soup. I can eat those soups for a meal, with the proper bread. And I am a sucker for good bread (and ice cream BTW)

Maybe I'll post my soup recipes, very soon. But, unfortunately after work every day, I have a 69 Corvette engine that has my name on it for a couple of weeks. It has a big block in it, hence my screen name!!!

SWMO
Explorer
Explorer
NYCgrrl wrote:
Super_Dave wrote:
It must be in the air. I bought a bag of 15 bean soup beans yesterday and smoking off some ham today to put in the pot.

Was that Bob's Red Mill mix? I bought one recently and danggggg it's good:).

We have one here that is really good, but it isn't Bob's it's Hurst Hambeens. We've been acquainted with it for years. Good stuff.
My left over pulled pork goes in the freezer for beans. It's amazing how little it takes, about 1/2 cup, to pit a nice smoky flavor in a pot of beans.
2009 Dodge 3500 Laramie, DRW, 4X4, auto, 6.7L, B & W Companion.
Jayco Designer 34RLQS, Mor/Ryde

usmohls2
Explorer
Explorer
I took a 4 to 5 lb pumpkin, cut the top out, scoped out the seeds only. Put a bag of mixed veggies & a chopped onion then filled with chicken broth, put the top on ,set it on a cookie sheet bake at 350 till tender. Eat right from the shell. Real tasty pumpkin soup!

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
BigBlockTank wrote:
I'm in the southwest, Tucson, AZ, so menudo, albondigas, and pasole are big soups for us. Menudo on Saturday, and Sunday, for hangovers, and the others for dinner other nights hahahaha.....

BBT, I don't see you as a soup for dinner kind of guy. Maybe soup with dinner?
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

BigBlockTank
Explorer
Explorer

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
It must be in the air. I bought a bag of 15 bean soup beans yesterday and smoking off some ham today to put in the pot.

Was that Bob's Red Mill mix? I bought one recently and danggggg it's good:). I made a version with homemade chicken stock, a trinity of onions, carrots and celery. Then chopped kale towards the end and finally dropped some cornmeal dumplings atop. I rarely add meat to bean soup yet ham would certainly be a good addition.

SteveRuff
Explorer
Explorer
I'll add one to the mix: Add a baguette and a salad and you have a full meal waiting when you get back to the RV.

CROCKPOT GUMBO

Ingredients:
3 tablespoons flour
3 tablespoons oil
1/2 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1/2 inch slices
2 cups frozen cut okra
1 large onion, chopped
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon ground red cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 can (14.5 ounce size) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 package (12 ounce size) frozen shelled deveined cooked medium shrimp, rinsed
1 1/2 cup uncooked regular long-grain white rice
3 cups water

In small saucepan, combine flour and oil; mix well. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.This is your Roux. Reduce heat to medium; cook, stirring constantly, about 10 minutes or until mixture turns reddish brown. Place flour-oil mixture in 3 1/2 to 4 quart Crockpot. Stir in all remaining ingredients except shrimp, rice and water. Cover; cook on low setting for 7-9 hours. When ready to serve, cook rice in water as directed on package. Meanwhile, add shrimp to gumbo mixture in crockpot; mix well. Cover; cook on low setting for additional 20 minutes. Serve gumbo over rice.
Both retired. Travel with Nicky the Schnoodle. Son graduated and is teaching high school math. We still love our 2006 34' Allegro Bay XB and have 50,000+ miles on her.

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
I like quick and easy when we are on the road, real quick and real easy is my motto. Sunset Magazine had a Quick Cookbook that was stuffed away in my collection and I pulled it out. It had some really good suggestions and one I tried yesterday. They suggested it for breakfast, so we gave it a try.
Slice up one Kielbasa Sausage and fry it up in some butter. (Did I mention it was an old cookbook, I eliminated the butter) When brown, add one can of creamed corn, a half (same) can of milk, 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder and 1/8 teaspoon cumin. Once it was done, it looked like to much meat for little corn so I doubled the corn/milk and spices. We both liked it but DH thought a cubed cooked potato would have been nice.

SWMO
Explorer
Explorer
While nothing beats home made broth, Better Than Bouillon is better IMO than the canned or boxed. It's basically the same thing without the water and someone's idea of strength.
2009 Dodge 3500 Laramie, DRW, 4X4, auto, 6.7L, B & W Companion.
Jayco Designer 34RLQS, Mor/Ryde

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Easy Chicken Rice Soup

1 box or 3 cans chicken broth
1 box Uncle Ben's Long Grain Rice w/ season packet
Leftover cooked chicken (from the rotisserie chicken is good) or canned/frozen chicken chunks.

Cook rice in the chicken broth with seasoning and leftover chicken.

Great on a cold day.

Something else you can use to start a soup that gives great flavor is leftover gravy that goes along with the meat base of your soup. Build it from there with the appropriate broth, meat and vegetables.

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, I'm going to try them all. I love soup

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Super_Dave wrote:

We keep homemade chicken broth and homemade pork broth handy to make a quick soup of whatever is in the fridge.

Homemade Broth
Take leftover roast chicken or bone-in pork roast (or both). Can also use leftover bone-in beef roast.
Put in dutch oven and add water to cover.
Add ginger and salt to taste.
Simmer until all of the meat comes away from the bones easily, ~2 hours. Pick the meat and pitch the gristle and bones.
Cool then freeze or can.

All you have to do is put the broth in a pot, simmer with leftover veg and meat. Can add beans too and whatever else you think will make it taste good. Serve with biscuits, salad, and or breads. Warm the breads and spread fresh creamery butter on it with honey.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
Quick Chicken Vegetable Soup:
8 cups low sodium Chicken Broth
1 pkg Cubed frozen chicken breast (Tysons)
1 large package frozen mixed vegetables
1 onion
1 can diced italian style tomatoes
1 c rice or macaroni
Direction: saute onion in small amt of oil. Add broth, canned tomatoes, chicken and vegetables. Bring to boil. Add rice or macaroni. Cook 25 minutes for rice or 10 minutes for macaroni. Add water to desired consistency. You can also add celery when you add the onion. Boil extra 10 minutes before you add macaroni to cook celery tender. Also any leftovers like green beans, peas, carrots.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk