cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thanksgiving potluck ideas?

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Turkey is provided. I need to take something that doesn't need to be plugged in or kept cold... I am thinking sweet potatoes or a salad. Green bean casserole seems like cheating, but I don't cook much to have a bunch of recipes that are tried & true. Thanks in advance for your ideas & recipes!
36 REPLIES 36

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
The last potluck I went to, several people became ill. Have you seen the cats crawling all over the counters on RVs where this food is prepared. No thanks. Once was enough for me being sick. No more pot lucks. If I want to socialize, I will go and not eat.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

xyzHollyxyz
Explorer
Explorer
hokeypokey wrote:
Maybe not for Thanksgiving, but one family always brings crockpot of hot dogs, buns and condiments to Annual Block Party. Always a winner.

I think you must have meant "always a weiner" ? ? ๐Ÿ˜›

hokeypokey
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe not for Thanksgiving, but one family always brings crockpot of hot dogs, buns and condiments to Annual Block Party. Always a winner.

hokeypokey
Explorer
Explorer
Beans,what's a potluck without them?

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the ideas!

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
sammytoo wrote:
jnharley wrote:
We stay away from pot lucks. In my opinion, it is a great way to get a food born illness. if you plan to attend, how about a veggie tray? You can but them prremade at almost all grocery stores. Or dinner rolls.

You're missing a ton of good food, lots of great company and an all around good time.
Also.. I hear many more reports of food born illnesses from packing houses and restaurants than from potlucks.

Exactly Sammy.

Some like to live in a bubble.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

sammytoo
Explorer
Explorer
jnharley wrote:
We stay away from pot lucks. In my opinion, it is a great way to get a food born illness. if you plan to attend, how about a veggie tray? You can but them prremade at almost all grocery stores. Or dinner rolls.

You're missing a ton of good food, lots of great company and an all around good time.
Also.. I hear many more reports of food born illnesses from packing houses and restaurants than from potlucks.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
Assorted olives, pickles, peppers, pearl onions...etc tray.

Sounds like another variation on the Southern style relish tray and a good one at that.
I include celery, pickled beets, radishes and sometimes endive leaves topped with large curd cottage cheese mixed with orange pulp at times.

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
Reading the suggestions I would rather have a the fresh fruit salad. Some styrofoam cups or bowls to go with it.

SDPat
Explorer
Explorer
I've taken this to a lot of potlucks and seldom come home with any. Easy to make and be prepared to give out the recipe.

Grape Salad

3 pound of seedless grapes. Wash, dry and remove from stems.

Dressing:
1 8 ounce cream cheese
1 8 ounce sour cream
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Mix together until smooth. Pour over grapes and toss until the grapes are well coated. You can garnish with pecans.

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
Merrykalia wrote:
I would suggest twice baked potatoes.

First boil unpeeled potatoes and remove from water to let the peels harden up a bit. Cut each potato in half and scoop out the insides leaving a small amount of pulp attached to the skin. Mix potato guts with milk, sour cream, butter, shredded cheddar cheese, salt, pepper and heap back onto the potato skins. Oil the bottom of a baking sheet and place potatoes back on the sheet and top with a small amount of shredded cheese. Place in a preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes at 350. These are wonderful served at room temperature as well as still hot.

I had a friend who did this & then cut each half into smaller sections crosswise. Stretched the quantity out some she probably cut them into three sections each I'd guess.
2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT

SwanInWA
Explorer
Explorer
One of my favorite party dishes is Antipasto Skewers. Generally I use one bite-sized mozzarella ball, a piece of salami, a cherry tomato, a basil leaf and an olive, speared onto a 4" skewer. You can also use tortellini, marinated artichoke hearts, pepperoni, pepperoncini, whatever floats your boat. Super easy, no cooking involved, and they look beautiful on a plate, so people are always impressed with them.

Teri (the RV.netter)

Eric (the significant other)

[purple]Angus (the fur-faced kidlet)[/purple]
The B (2008 Pleasure-Way Lexor RL-4)

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." --St. Augustine

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have an oven in your rig?
My favorite camping potluck contribution is a homemade lasagne. Put it together at home in a smaller baking pan, and slide it into the oven to finish the day of the event.

You could do the same thing with an apple pie.

If you don't have an oven, put together chili or a stew at home and heat it on the stove or over the fire.

Another thought.... Marinate a beef brisket, cook it low and slow over the coals, slice it thin, and let everybody sing your praises.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Can of peaches and a can opener.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest twice baked potatoes.

First boil unpeeled potatoes and remove from water to let the peels harden up a bit. Cut each potato in half and scoop out the insides leaving a small amount of pulp attached to the skin. Mix potato guts with milk, sour cream, butter, shredded cheddar cheese, salt, pepper and heap back onto the potato skins. Oil the bottom of a baking sheet and place potatoes back on the sheet and top with a small amount of shredded cheese. Place in a preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes at 350. These are wonderful served at room temperature as well as still hot.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW