cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your best homemade french fry techniques?

MillicentLake
Explorer
Explorer
We love fries with meat meals but don't have a lot of freezer space for the frozen type.

I'm not too keen on the deep fryer due to fear of the hot grease. Does anyone have any recipes/techniques for making fries in the oven or on the grill?

The shoestring and crinkle-cut type are our favorites though steak fries are delicious too.

Homemade tater tot recipes welcome too, and really any other potato delight!
18 REPLIES 18

moonlightrunner
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
MOONLIGHTRUNNER - How do you do the home fries and onions in a skillet. We ran into this in Gatlinburg TN way back then at a BENNETTs BBQ place for breakfast near the entrance to the Smoky natl park side of town.

Tried duplicating that but never had much success... Onions never turned out right each way would try cooking them...

Roy and Carolyn

Low heat, a thick, heavy, well-seasoned cast iron skillet and patience. Lots of recipes online for Southern style Homefries and onions. If you aren't careful and the heat is too high, you will end up with burnt onions before the taters are cooked and browned. A fancy upscale french version for homefries and onions is called "Potatoes Anna".

Here is a basic version. Like I said the key is a heavy cast iron well seasoned cast iron skillet. If the taters you had were thinly sliced, the restaurant used raw taters. If they were either thickish or cubed, then they used cooked taters. I've done it both ways. If I have leftover baked or boiled taters, then I need to eat them some way. Try both ways and see which way you like best. I also think that using a bit of bacon or sausage grease adds greatly to the dish.

Quality_Johnson
Explorer
Explorer
This is a bit off topic, please forgive that, but it's my favorite way to cook potatoes.

Scrub medium/large baking potatoes, one per person. Dry them off. Slice in the direction that gives the largest slices, so that each potato is cut in 4 slices. Cut onion slices to go between each potato slice, so 3 pieces per potato. Dry the cut surfaces of potato, and butter each surface, sprinkle with garlic powder, salt, pepper, seasoned salt, whatever you like. Insert onion slices into potatoes, wrap in heavy aluminum foil, and bake on campfire or grill about 45 min to 1 hour until done. Turn often as you bake. Delicious!
'93 Dutchmen 18' TT, pulled by '02 Dodge Durango 5.9

SWMO
Explorer
Explorer
5thwheeleroldman wrote:
We love the french fries at Popeye's Fried Chicken chain. They are crispy and spicy on the outside and soft on the inside. Looks like they battered the fries? Anyone know how they do this?

I have read that these companies buy fries that have light batter. The author didn't know what it was. He mentioned several fast food companies that use them, but I don't remember enough to list any.
2009 Dodge 3500 Laramie, DRW, 4X4, auto, 6.7L, B & W Companion.
Jayco Designer 34RLQS, Mor/Ryde

5thwheeleroldma
Explorer
Explorer
We love the french fries at Popeye's Fried Chicken chain. They are crispy and spicy on the outside and soft on the inside. Looks like they battered the fries? Anyone know how they do this?

ETex2
Explorer
Explorer
Cut them up kinda thick, and put the potatoes and oil into the skillet all together, then turn on the heat to med high or high. Make sure the oil completely covers the potatoes. Add a bit of bacon fat to the oil if you have it. They will take about 15-20 minutes to cook. Turn them at least once. Salt, pepper and a bit of onion and garlic powder (my favorite all around spice mix) immediately and enjoy.
Proudly clinging to my guns and my religion.

MillicentLake
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you so much for all of the delectable ideas. I did not know about the possibilities for pre-cooking/par boiling the potatoes. It makes sense, though. My homemade fries always taste a bit raw and that is likely the reason.

thanks!

SWMO
Explorer
Explorer
We follow a recipe we got off the net.
Put sliced potatoes in a colander and sprinkle with sugar. Let them drain for about 30 minutes. The sugar pulls starch and moisture. Dry them, put on any spices and salt you want and put them in a 425 oven for 20 minutes, flip them over and resume baking for about 20 minutes. we start checking them after 10.
The sugar is the key and they will not be sweet.
2009 Dodge 3500 Laramie, DRW, 4X4, auto, 6.7L, B & W Companion.
Jayco Designer 34RLQS, Mor/Ryde

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Just do it in fry pan with a few tablespoons of oil and fresh cut spuds....maybe add some onions and garlic. Toss them around gently and don't make oil too hot. For flavor...make it olive oil. Lower fat and fresh spuds are way tastier.
Donna

fchammer1
Explorer
Explorer
Remember the apple cutter that cores the apple and cuts it into wedges? You can also find (Try Bed Bath & Beyond) a two-handed potato cutter that cuts a single potato into French fries. Much cheaper than anything discussed so far.

After cutting the potatoes into fries, soak them in cold water to get rid of the starch on the outside. The longer the better. This will give you a crisper fry.

I then put them in a baggy with enough olive oil to coat them when I shake'em up. Do any amount you want, then spread them out on a cookie sheet, sprinkle Mrs. Dash or any preferred seasonings on them and bake'em.

And, no, you don't have to "fry them twice." Can you seriously imagine a restaurant that has enough time to do that? Most don't.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
MOONLIGHTRUNNER - How do you do the home fries and onions in a skillet. We ran into this in Gatlinburg TN way back then at a BENNETTs BBQ place for breakfast near the entrance to the Smoky natl park side of town.

Tried duplicating that but never had much success... Onions never turned out right each way would try cooking them...

Roy and Carolyn
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

moonlightrunner
Explorer
Explorer
Other than homefries and onions in a cast iron skillet, I like to slice up an unpeeled leftover baked potato (I cook up a couple extra & keep in the refrigerator), and deep fry it in peanut oil. Turns out Steak Fries that are fluffy inside and crispy outside.

If you are looking for info on how to make restaurant style fries (which are cooked twice) try this page. I have several friends in the food business and this is how they say restuarants make fries from scratch. Seems like a lot of work for french fries at home. I was also told the oil you fry in is very important.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
We microwave whole potatoes for a couple of minutes to start the cooking process.
Let them cool off (we do the microwave early)
Cut potatoes into wedges
Put some olive oil and whatever seasonings you want in a flat dish
Dredge the wedges in oil/seasonings
Place on a cooking sheet
450*F pre-heated oven
30-35 minutes (or until your crispness level)

I like this idea, and will give it a try.

I was going to suggest that you cut raw potatoes into wedges, and the bake them. This does not require any freezer space.

Many do not realize that the frozen fries are pre-cooked in oil. They will become crispy due to being cooked twice. Home cut fries will not be really crispy unless cooked once, then let the oil get hot again, then cook a second time with hot oil to make it crisp!

I like to season my fries with Lawerys season salt, or another flavored salt or garlic powder after cooking. Or sprinkle on Lawerys or garlic powder before baking the potato wedges.

My mom used to fry up sliced potatoes in bacon grease when I was young, and serve them with eggs for breakfast. It was not until I was about 20 that I found out that the potatoes had been baked the night before, so they could be cooked quickly in the fry pan.

Good luck!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

dcb17b
Explorer II
Explorer II
We like fried potatoes. Slice into thin(ish) slices and fry them in a skillet in butter/evvo,salt/pepper.You could cut fries from a tater,par boil them and them finish on sheet in the grill or oven. The foil packet works well(we do all kinds of veggies this way). Another of our favorite tater tricks is to nuke them whole(micro bake) and then put them on the top rack of the grill to crisp up and absorb the flavor of what is being grilled.
2022 F-150 STX 2,7 Ecoboost
2023 Jayco 25RB

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
We microwave whole potatoes for a couple of minutes to start the cooking process.
Let them cool off (we do the microwave early)
Cut potatoes into wedges
Put some olive oil and whatever seasonings you want in a flat dish
Dredge the wedges in oil/seasonings
Place on a cooking sheet
450*F pre-heated oven
30-35 minutes (or until your crispness level)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31