cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A/B switch use on Satellite feed?

ezgoin
Explorer
Explorer
I've read where splitters are not to be used on satellite feeds (DirecTv Trav'ler dish), but is OK to use A/B switches to quickly switch inputs between the MH's cable/OTA feed and Satellite?
The older I get....the better I was.

Bill & Terry
And our canine kids, Skippy & Peanut
2014 Fleetwood Bounder Classic 30T
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad
9 REPLIES 9

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
As my diagram above shows, I am using a single input point to provide for 3 different sources, all requiring different, mutually exclusive, devices.

1. Cable (straight shot to video control center)
2. 18" round antenna satellite, only satellite receiver inline
3. vuqube 2100 satellite, with 2100 controller AND satellite receiver inline

Without good, functioning diplexers and A/B switch, it wouldn't work, but it works well in all 3 modes.

wa8yxm wrote:
There is, in fact, a "Splitter" designed for that (Diplexer it is called) However I do not recommend them,,, Tried one once, not good.

You had a bad diplexer.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Diplexers do work very well. I just prefer one device over 2 but that's not to say it is any less effective.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

jhilley
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
There is, in fact, a "Splitter" designed for that (Diplexer it is called) However I do not recommend them,,, Tried one once, not good.

A/B switches work very well and those I do recommend.

ON MANY (NOT ALL) Sat receivers you can wire as follows.

Cable inlet to A/B swtich common, A to the "TV-ANT IN" on the Sat receiver, B to the LNB in (A for antenna/analog B for lnB or Binary) and TV-OUT back to the winegard wall plate cable inlet jack.

now you need only flip the switch from Park to Bird or back. and otherwise it's as designed. (Well turn off the sat receiver for park as well).

That said. I really like adding genuine RG-6 and ignore the factory lead.

You may have had a bad diplexer or hooked it up wrong. Don't condemn something with a single trial. I have installed many with no problems.
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G F53 Chassis Solar Power
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C F53 Chassis Solar power
Handicap Equipped with Lift & Hospital Bed
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III

A/B switches work very well and those I do recommend.

ON MANY (NOT ALL) Sat receivers you can wire as follows.

Cable inlet to A/B swtich common, A to the "TV-ANT IN" on the Sat receiver, B to the LNB in (A for antenna/analog B for lnB or Binary) and TV-OUT back to the winegard wall plate cable inlet jack.

now you need only flip the switch from Park to Bird or back. and otherwise it's as designed. (Well turn off the sat receiver for park as well).

That said. I really like adding genuine RG-6 and ignore the factory lead.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
You can also use an A/B switch with your satellite connection as long as it's a good quality unit. This is the one that I have installed on many systems without issue.
Radio Shack A/B switch
x2. They look cheesy, but are built really well with no measurable loss on the receiver at Ka
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
we have splitters for our satellite TV in the bedroom. Sats2Go in Houston TX put them in. We use the "input" function on the remote to accesss satellite or cable.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can also use an A/B switch with your satellite connection as long as it's a good quality unit. This is the one that I have installed on many systems without issue.
Radio Shack A/B switch
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Splitters (actually called diplexers) and A/B switches are OK as long as they pass power. Be sure they say this. My multifunctional setup has 1 A/B switch and 2 diplexers. Here is a diagram of how mine is setup.

The video control center selects CABLE or SATELLITE. If I select SATELLITE, the A/B switch selects round 18" dish, or Vuqube 2100 with its controller inline.

Note that 1 diplexer and the A/B switch pass power both ways. One diplexer only passes power one way so 13v or 18v isn't backfed into the video control center.

This diplexer passes power only one way:

This diplexer passes power both ways:

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Yes.