Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Printer Recommendations

S-n-L
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Everyone,

My husband and I are about to start our full-time journey and we are wondering what to do about a printer for our motor home. We want a really small printer that works well. We saw one in Best Buy, it was an HP Officejet Mobile Printer,model OJ100.

Does anyone use this? If yes, what is your opinion.

Can anyone recommend something else?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Leslie
Stuart & Leslie Offer

2008 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45-Caspian IV, Cummins ISX 600. 2014 Jeep Cherokee limited,Cashmere. Roadmaster Sterling, SMI Airforceone. Full timing since June 1, 2014
21 REPLIES 21

bcsdguy
Explorer
Explorer
Redsky wrote:

I tried 3 different all in one machines before settling on the Canon. It works very well and it starts up fast and shuts down equally fast when it is done. Has an automatic feeder for scanning multiple pages and we use this feature to turn a paper manual into a single PDF file so we can leave the paper manuals at home.

So, are you using a Canon 4500 laserjet now?
No person is completely worthless ... one can always serve as a bad example.

Redsky
Explorer
Explorer
I switched long ago to laserjet printers for everything. That includes a 20 year old HP 4si that is still going strong, a HP color laserjet Pro 200, and a Canon 4500 all in one that scans, copies, and prints.

With inkjets the head clog without frequent use of the printer and the ink is very expensive. With a laserjet it can sit for months with no problems.

The only place where an inket is of any value is with a color photograph and for that I upload to Costco someplace where we are headed and in 30 minutes it will be available to pick up. Costco is much cheaper than printing with an inkjet printer and you get a much more durable print with the equipment they use.

I tried 3 different all in one machines before settling on the Canon. It works very well and it starts up fast and shuts down equally fast when it is done. Has an automatic feeder for scanning multiple pages and we use this feature to turn a paper manual into a single PDF file so we can leave the paper manuals at home.

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
We stopped carrying a printer due to the fact that we seldom us it, however if we need something printed I just put it on a stick drive and have the CG print it for me. They seldom charge much. That way I can take an extra box of cookies with me. LOL
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
phays wrote:

The big disadvantage is the cost of the printer. It is not nearly as cheap at some of the 3-in-1's you can get at Walmart but it has a much smaller foot print and is easy to store.

yep, the canon 3 in ones that I buy for $39 come with cartridges that amount to half of that cost. I was suckered in by the Kodak ads for their cheap cartridges, which I guess they are, but the original cost difference amounts to a bunch of cartridges.
bumpy

phays
Explorer
Explorer
Based on the many replies, many are guessing as to how you are going to use the printer. Are you going to print photo's? How much printing are you really going to do?

I use an HP100, similar to the small Canon mentioned by others. It is a portable printer with a small footprint. I don't do much color printing so it meets my needs It is a bluetooth printer so I can place it in a convenient location and not have to worry about a cable connection.

I use Android app CamScanner to "scan" documents into my computer with my phone. It does a good job for what I need; copying receipts, insurance forms, tax documents, etc as pdf files that I store on my computer.

I haven't had a problem with the print cartridges not working after extended non-printing periods.

The big disadvantage is the cost of the printer. It is not nearly as cheap at some of the 3-in-1's you can get at Walmart but it has a much smaller foot print and is easy to store.

Explorer
Explorer
We also use the Canon Ip100. We looked at all the small printers and this was the smallest. It does a nice job at printing on full letter size paper, is easy to carry, and the ink is easy to find. It does fairly good photo prints also.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

S-n-L
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your great ideas and suggestions. Still not sure which we'll go with but will do some shopping and figure it out.

Thanks again,
Leslie
Stuart & Leslie Offer

2008 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45-Caspian IV, Cummins ISX 600. 2014 Jeep Cherokee limited,Cashmere. Roadmaster Sterling, SMI Airforceone. Full timing since June 1, 2014

bcsdguy
Explorer
Explorer
You know, I would suggest buying a laserjet printer such as the Brother series. For what you pay for ink you could buy toner carts that last much longer than the ink. Even if you buy refilled ones, they last much longer than ink. The new color laserjets are very competitive with inkjets over the long haul. I gave up on the inkjets after my last one broke down. Just a suggestion.
No person is completely worthless ... one can always serve as a bad example.

hitchup
Explorer
Explorer
For DH's work, we needed a Printer and Scanner.

The HP Photosmart 6520, which is wireless has been the best one for over 2 years now. We had an HP 5510, the Wifi kept going out and finally after 366 days, it quit altogether.
2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3....our custom home
2014 Ford F450 KR CC 4x4......his office
2015 Lance 1172 TC.....mobile Motel FOR SALE
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005

"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss it, you will land among the Stars."

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Before buying a printer, check Amazon and see if there are refilled ink cartridges available, and look for the printer that has the cheapest refills and does what you want. For example, 56 cartridges are easy to find refills for. However, there are newer ones from HP which refilling may be impossible.

If one has the space, laser printers are a better if one prints out often, because a $70 toner cartridge can do ~2000 pages, compared to 30-100 from a $20-30 inkjet cartridge.

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought a Canon 3200 pixma air all in one, no fax, for 50 bucks. Smallest, lightest, best I have owned. Seldom need color so I really don't care about printing pics so I can't say much about that. It's Stingy with the black ink. Not about to pay $250 for a fancy printer that probably won't last any longer.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Unless you use your printer frequently, stay away from inkjet type printers. We don't print very often and had two ink type printers dry up and clog the ink nozzles. No choice but to trash them. We bought a cheap Cannon compact toner based printer a couple of years ago. No problems. Didn't need color. So, it works for us.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
all of the printers I have bought lately have been canons for about $29-39. the ink that comes with them are worth half that. they have performed flawlessly over the years. I do have a tiny HP 130 that only prints 4x6 paper.
bumpy

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
We have been using the Epson Stylus NX625 for three years and love it. It's a printer/scanner/copier and wireless so we keep it on a window ledge in the BR and print from anywhere we have the laptop, even outside. Best of all you can usually get it for just a little over $100 and it uses a separate color cartridge for each color.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams