cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ATT doing away with satellite TV

hpdrver
Explorer
Explorer
Previously I posted that in five years most people will get television over the Internet. Today ATT announced that they intend to do away with Direct TV and satellite TV by 2020 And provide tv over the Internet. I wish I could predict stocks like that. Dish may be the only satellite provider in the near future. Which may explain why Dish is trying to get into the cellular market.
Texas Two Step
2021 Coach House 272XLFR
2020 JL Jeep Wrangler
24 REPLIES 24

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:
I'm finding that the cost increases for TW Cable(who is up for sale) are no longer worth the money.

Just a FYI update to the TWC ownership comment... TWC was actually purchased by Charter Communications and that acquisition closed the beginning of summer this year.
I love me some land yachting

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
Sling TV is owned by Dish and it's a great service. They have 3 plans from $20.00 $25.00 and $40.00 (a month) $40.00 gets every channel and is called Blue + Orange, you can also add specific packages for around $5.00 each

All you'll need is something like an AppleTV, Roku or better yet and cheaper an Amazon Firestick $39.00 - On the firestick you can also stream Netflix, amazon, Hulu, etc because they're part of the firestick.

Check it out

Sling TV Site
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I'm finding that the cost increases for TW Cable(who is up for sale) are no longer worth the money. In the Los Angeles Basin there are about 50 or so channels available OTA. probably 1/3 to 1/4 are foreign language but still a lot of channels for all of us. For the stick and brick I am willing to cut the cable and go completely OTA, for travel, BluRay and Nature will do just fine.

On edit, there is also oral communication with other campers or as my DGKs say, "G" Dude is out making friends.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Regardless of what is being said by AT&T, there are still lots of empires within AT&T/DIRECTV of who is right and who will lead the charge. I wouldn't worry so much about DIRECTV satellite services disappearing so quickly. They have A LOT invested in satellite services.

Their newest bird, D-15, is just over a year old with an expected lifespan of more than 15 years. I believe there may be at least another going up within the next two years.

DIRECTV Successfully Launches Two Satellites Significantly Increasing HD and 4K Capacity
I love me some land yachting

KKWilliams
Explorer
Explorer
That's true. My understanding is first go and nationwide sale of 5G in 2020. Then it will probably take several years to role out the entire network similar to 4G/LTE.

On another note it does look like Verizon is also testing 5G, with Sprint and T-Mobile close behind. No standard has been set yet for what 5G is, so we are probably going to have at least two competing standards like we do now with 4G.
2012 Chevy Express 3500 extended with 6.6L Duramax
2012 Crossroads Sunset Trail reserve 32 FR
Equal-i-zer 4
Prodigy P3

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
The bad news is that it may be many years before it happens in my neighborhood.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

KKWilliams
Explorer
Explorer
AT&T is planning on using 5G and blanketing the country with it. Here is a short article on where it is already being deployed:

https://www.cnet.com/news/at-t-doubles-down-on-5g-with-second-test-location/

Good news is it looks like they will have to move back to unlimited data again. At those speeds you could eat your entire 12GB plan in less than 3 seconds.

What I saw at ATT corporate center was that 5G will be on a bandwidth that will travel further and penetrate obstacles better than 4G. For driverless cars and other devices to work they need to minimize the gaps in their coverage maps. This means they will be moving into rural markets, that they haven't tried to compete in before because there was no monetary incentive to invest.
2012 Chevy Express 3500 extended with 6.6L Duramax
2012 Crossroads Sunset Trail reserve 32 FR
Equal-i-zer 4
Prodigy P3

dclark1946
Explorer
Explorer
Hank MI wrote:
turbojimmy wrote:
The author took several soundbites and pieced them together to form a "story". There's too much invested in current satellite technology to abandon it by 2020. And wireless has not advanced to the point of being able to ubiquitously replace satellite. The day will come, yes, but not by 2020. AT&T and Verizon have both announced "5G" plans, but there are a lot of logistic hurdles to be solved. AT&T is not going to abandon the market they purchased through their acquisition of DirecTV until there is a replacement available that is suitable from a technological and price perspective. I don't see that happening by 2020.

I switched from AT&T Uverse back to Comcast earlier this year. AT&T price went up a lot. The only deal they had to offer was to switch to DirecTV. Our son had the same experience with them. Why push people off UVerse to DirecTV if you plan on eliminating it?

In our DFW suburban neighborhood AT&T is pushing their TV customers from Uverse to Direct TV because their fiber optic system does not have the bandwidth to support video. Their whole system needs to be updated to significantly increase bandwidth. So far no plans to do that. Also not sure how people that live in remote areas where there is no cell coverage are going to get TV. Guess they are out of luck or maybe it will be down to one satellite provider.
Dick & Karen
Richardson,TX
2017 KZ Spree 263RKS
09 F250 V10

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
We get a few OTA channels not many. There is no cable on our street and the only cell that works is ATT with one bar sometimes (if you hold your mouth just right). Our house is in the country but not the booneys. If we cant get cell service between Boston and New York a lot of people will stop watching TV

MrWizard
not gonna happen in my life time
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Hank_MI
Explorer
Explorer
turbojimmy wrote:
The author took several soundbites and pieced them together to form a "story". There's too much invested in current satellite technology to abandon it by 2020. And wireless has not advanced to the point of being able to ubiquitously replace satellite. The day will come, yes, but not by 2020. AT&T and Verizon have both announced "5G" plans, but there are a lot of logistic hurdles to be solved. AT&T is not going to abandon the market they purchased through their acquisition of DirecTV until there is a replacement available that is suitable from a technological and price perspective. I don't see that happening by 2020.

I switched from AT&T Uverse back to Comcast earlier this year. AT&T price went up a lot. The only deal they had to offer was to switch to DirecTV. Our son had the same experience with them. Why push people off UVerse to DirecTV if you plan on eliminating it?

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
look how long it took to Kill VHS tapes .. CD then DVD then tape died.
a few months ago.. the last company stopped making VHS recorders.

Same Difference.

and where will the Band-Width come from?????? maybe when 8 LTE is ready

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cell service is still not ubiquitous, much less LTE or higher data service. It will not be by 2020 and perhaps not by 2026. So unless they plan to leave current customers in the ditch, sat service will still be available.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)