cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank blaming Comcast and Verizon

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had the same Comcast.net email address for many years. I have banked at the same bank for at least the same number of years. Occasionally my daily alerts would drop off, I'd fix it and move on. Just a minor thing. Recently however they have been dropping at an alarmingly quicker rate, enough that I have called, emailed, visited a local branch, and this morning started a chat online politely fussing.
The chat person this morning advised me that Comcast and Verizon accounts are at fault and I should use Yahoo or another free email service. WTH?
Anybody else experiencing this or have any input. The bank involved is a top 5 in the US rated bank, I can't believe that they can't figure this out.
Puma 30RKSS
12 REPLIES 12

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our Verizon MIFI shows fie bars. Some time ago we started experiencing connectivity issues. Couldn't get to sites on net.
Extremely slow loading and losing connections.
I read comments and reports on the net about Verizon and Others taking bandwidth from Customers and letting commercial accounts, that pay more, have the bandwidth. result hard time connecting, loading and connections dropping.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Many E-Mail hosts do spam filtering,, A big (top 5) Bank will send millions of E-mails per day, Lower cost spam filters will see this as evidence of SPAM, even some of the better filters may do that.

Yahoo, and G-mail both give me options.. I can choose to receive ALL mail, or let them sort obvious spam. And I can view the spam folder (If I use web mail) to see if they sent one there by mistake (They often do).

With G-mail 99.9% of what I get is not interesting Thus I do not review my SPAM folder, but with Yahoo, both my main E-dresses are Yahoo (Actually the same account on Yahoo).

One of the major advantages of Web Mail is infected E-mails never get to my hard drive. Both G-mail and Yahoo use very good anti-malware scanners, and even if it gets past those,, I have my own.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have no trouble with credit card notifications, only this particular bank. Heck, the credit card notifications are how I know where my DW is and what time I can expect her home :).
If a spam filter was catching the bank alerts, why do I get them for a week or so before they stop? When I set them back up I get them again. For a while. I think I'll open an account at another bank and see what happens. I'll let you know.
Puma 30RKSS

camperforlife wrote:
Comcast is especially bad at labeling commercial companies' email as spam solely on the basis of the volume of email they send not what they send. I have experienced many issues with them blocking emails from a few of my suppliers. I set up a Gmail account and the notification issues have stopped.

This sounds like the issue. Their spam filtering may not be as fine tuned, so you're losing emails. GMail is noted to have among the best spam filtering of any free email provider.

Some have expressed concerns that Google scans emails for marketing purposes. But so does Yahoo. In fact, most all free email providers scan account emails. They have to in order to at minimum scan for spam and/or malware. But you don't really know what they're doing with the scanned data? It's never been an overly concerning issue with me personally.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I never use ISP provided accounts. Gmail is good, same with Apple's iCloud. Yahoo is decent.

I use two accounts. For critical E-mail (banking, etc.), I use a private, Exchange hosted provider that costs something a month. For everything else, I use a reliable "free" provider like Yahoo or Gmail.

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
Comcast is especially bad at labeling commercial companies' email as spam solely on the basis of the volume of email they send not what they send. I have experienced many issues with them blocking emails from a few of my suppliers. I set up a Gmail account and the notification issues have stopped.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
My Checkfree alerts coming through Charter have had problems, which caused me to miss a couple of due dates and cost me some late fees. I called the credit card companies to determine the problem, and at least got the error noted on my account as a communication account error. I do prefer using the mail servers as the messages are downloaded to MY computer and not retained on a server somewhere in the cloud where they can be hacked, but there do seem to be more problems beginning to appear there. Seems like the way to go(didn't say best) is to go ahead and use a pay for use account, and set up as POP where everything can be downloaded and deleted from their servers. BEST thing is to realize that NO electronic communication is secure, and NEVER send or say anything that you want to keep private!
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
I also have text message alerts set up all all of our accounts.
I get a text even before I leave the store where I have used a card. So, I am confident that if someone is using any of our accounts, I will know about it.

We have comcast email and Verizon and so far have never had an alert dropped....(email and text alerts.)
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
ATT is my email provider. I've had 3 cases where I never got an email that was expected momentarily (order confirm, etc.). I had the sender change the email address to another not-ATT account I have and got the email right away. These were 3 separate, well known companies. I think the "spam grabber" of ATT grabs more than spam. Probably the same for you. 😞
Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 100 Ah LiFePo4, 225 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 740 Campsites / YouTube Videos /
Instagram

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
I never use the free "provided" email accounts from my various service providers. Much better solution to use Gmail, Outlook, or Yahoo IMHO.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
Love Gmail!!! And all the extras like Google Drive.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
I've had lots of trouble with both in the past. I have Gmail now and haven't missed anything.....that I know of. 🙂 It's free.....
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend