cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Better Wi Fi capture in campgrounds

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK, first things first, I'm not exactly top notch computer savy but I've been looking for devices,antenna's,what have you to provide better reception(possibly better transmission) of Wi-Fi signals in a camp setting for multiple uses. Things I've looked at......JefaTech repeater kit, Wave Wi-Fi Rogue, Wi-Fi Ranger products with umbiquiti / POE.

It appears the Ranger products are among the better choices but I'm wondering about price vs performance. We're not looking for anything more than to get on line within the RV without walking about trying to get a clear line of sight. E-mail and Web browsing is all we need. We currently don't have a cell phone that is hot spot capable but I see the Ranger products offer the switching necessary to access the signals available so that feature seems worthwhile. Anyways, just trying to get a better understanding of what's out there?
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)
29 REPLIES 29

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just read that Straight Talk is offering a 'pay as you go' hot spot on the Verizon network....may have to look into this also. I don't necessarily want to rely on CG Wi-Fi, but if its usable for our rather simple needs, I certainly would like to capture it. As I revealed, my current pay as you go....is on Sprint(?) Or T mobile and its not too functional .....the price is you pay is good for a year, so I like the idea of this instead of the monthly expiration ones.
Thanks again all.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Flapper wrote:
You likely will not see much improvement overall. Especially for WiFi, you are at the mercy of what the campground has installed. Even if your signal strength can be increased, you will see little change in performance. That depends on the total bandwidth the CG has contracted for and how many other campers are sharing that bandwidth. Early to mid mornings are usually best - many are packing up to leave and are not on line. Evenings, especially after dark, are the worst, as everyone gets on line to browse the web or check e-mail.
I just retired from managing part of the wifi connections for a major University, and the only way it really can be improved is if the owner contracts with a higher speed/bandwidth provider, buys more capable equipment, and install more access points. It is only the last item that you might be able to improve on by buying your own booster - but if the coverage is that bad, you can count on the fact that the CG saved money on the overall amount of traffic their connection can handle, meaning it will still be slow. Your only real alternatives are to consign yourself to "primitive" camping...or piggyback on your cell phone service to use it's Internet connection instead of the CG.

100% correct. I finally gave up on trying to use campground Wifi and purchased a Netgear hotspot through AT&T. It works much better than tethering or using the iPhone's Wifi.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

webslave
Explorer
Explorer
I, too, am a JefaTech user. At most parks, I've found that the repeater's own dual antennas are much better at picking up a signal from the campground. Quite often, what users assume is a lousy campground signal, is, in fact, more closely related to a poor onboard wifi antenna in the computer. Those things work great in a home wifi arena where the broadcaster is in the next room, but, less so, when the broadcast source is even upstairs or in the basement. Getting a better antenna will usually fix the problem; JefaTech's repeater has dual vertical antenna elements that can do a better a job of picking up a poor signal. Most of the time, they work fine for me, but, occasionally, I have to resort to their roof mount antenna to get the antenna above the clutter. Never had that fail me yet. Once the repeater is set up to the campground's wifi system, then it broadcast's its own wifi signal within my 5er so that all of my equipment can use it at one time. What others have said about the bandwidth is true...no amplifier or other system can add bandwidth; it is either there or it isn't and if it is all being used up by some clown streaming Netflix, then you, me and the rest of the campground is usually up the creek.
My 2 cents, your mileage may vary...

Don
Bronwyn
Down to 1 kitty...J-Lo, the princess

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX
2015 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk Towed

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
CRCR...

READ THE DESCRIPTION, it lists 7 and 8.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
OP: "Things I've looked at......JefaTech repeater kit, Wave Wi-Fi Rogue, Wi-Fi Ranger products with umbiquiti / POE. "

I've used my JefaTech for 2 months now in many different places. Love it.
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

Robin1953
Explorer
Explorer
Acampingwewillgo wrote:
I am currently using a pay as you go (internet on the go) device that is on the Sprint network(works less frequently that frequently). My cell is on the Verizon network but with Straight Talk there can be no tethering. Since we frequent Thousand Trail parks(need to get my monies worth)..often a trip to the Lodge provides less than stellar internet service on their network but being able to capture what little signal there is from the rv would be so much more doable that trekking over and then finding out you still can't connect.

No doubt, a hot spot cell phone or air card would be a viable solution but for our usage, a monthly cost just doesn't seem worth it. Honestly, I can do most everything on the phone but my wife wants to use the laptop.
I used to have the Millenicom service which was $90/MO for 20GB of data and it was on the Verizon towers. I recently cancelled that account and bought a Straight Talk hotspot at WalMart. I bought the 4GB plan for $40 that is good for either 4GB of data or 2 months whichever expires first. I am not sure what service it uses and it is only 3G but it works fine for what I use it. Not as fast as the 4GLTE from Verizon but I was leaving 10-15GB on the table each month with Millenicom.
2015 Grand Design Solitude 320X
2016 Ram 3500 DRW and Cummins

bigcitypopo
Explorer
Explorer
I have a wave wifi kit... It frikn rocks.

So far the best wifi piece of hardware I've bought.
2014 RAM 2500 BigHorn CrewCab 4x2 ShortBox, 6.7L CTD
2014 Keystone Springdale 294bhssrwe - Hensley Arrow!
The best wife, 2 kids and a bunch of fun

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
Gulfcoast wrote:
This might work.

Interesting, but specifies Win XP & Vista, doesn't list Win 7 & Win 8

1971duster340
Explorer
Explorer
Research an EnGenus EUB9603H external Wifi adapter. They are about $20. If you need more gain (signal strength), EnG makes an external antenna, EAG2408, but I think you'll like just the ext. adapter. Getting the adapter/antenna out of the PC enclosure will do wonders for your Wifi reception. I've used this setup for years at home and while we're camping. The utility for finding the Wifi routers is easy to use too.

quick start
Greg
N5LFH
2007 Chariot

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
This might work.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
1775...... That sounds like a good starting point, I'll have to check it out. I understand the bandwidth restrictions with any / all campground Wi-Fi. Thank you.
96 Vogue Prima Vista

Explorer
Explorer
I use a wifi range extender (wifi booster - they are called various names) from Amped Wireless. There has to be at least a weak connection to the wifi to start with. Mine needs a laptop or PC to use as a display for the device to be able to lock in the wifi signal. Since I got mine, I believe some of these don't need that. What happens is the device connects to the laptop. It then finds the signal and locks it into its memory. When you then connect with your tablet or laptop to use the wifi you are going to select the device as your wifi connection and not the campground's wifi. The unit has the campground's wifi locked in and is boosting it. I have gone from a poor wifi connection to a solid connection that does not drop. It is not increasing bandwidth. If there is a problem with too many users in the campground on the wifi at the same time it will not do much for that. But I no longer have to go outside to the office or the nearest wifi point to get a usable connection. As long as you stay in that campground - even after you turn off and unplug the booster - once you turn the booster back on the signal is still locked in to connect to. Change campgrounds and you need to do this all over again. This may or may not be what you are looking for but it has worked for me. It cost about $100 in a computer discount retailer.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am currently using a pay as you go (internet on the go) device that is on the Sprint network(works less frequently that frequently). My cell is on the Verizon network but with Straight Talk there can be no tethering. Since we frequent Thousand Trail parks(need to get my monies worth)..often a trip to the Lodge provides less than stellar internet service on their network but being able to capture what little signal there is from the rv would be so much more doable that trekking over and then finding out you still can't connect.

No doubt, a hot spot cell phone or air card would be a viable solution but for our usage, a monthly cost just doesn't seem worth it. Honestly, I can do most everything on the phone but my wife wants to use the laptop.
96 Vogue Prima Vista

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I see that many folks get a Hot Spot from Verizon and bypass the parks WiFi altogether. If I had the extra $$$ that's what I'd do.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Flapper
Explorer
Explorer
You likely will not see much improvement overall. Especially for WiFi, you are at the mercy of what the campground has installed. Even if your signal strength can be increased, you will see little change in performance. That depends on the total bandwidth the CG has contracted for and how many other campers are sharing that bandwidth. Early to mid mornings are usually best - many are packing up to leave and are not on line. Evenings, especially after dark, are the worst, as everyone gets on line to browse the web or check e-mail.
I just retired from managing part of the wifi connections for a major University, and the only way it really can be improved is if the owner contracts with a higher speed/bandwidth provider, buys more capable equipment, and install more access points. It is only the last item that you might be able to improve on by buying your own booster - but if the coverage is that bad, you can count on the fact that the CG saved money on the overall amount of traffic their connection can handle, meaning it will still be slow. Your only real alternatives are to consign yourself to "primitive" camping...or piggyback on your cell phone service to use it's Internet connection instead of the CG.
2012 F150 Eco, 4x4, SCrew, Max Tow, HD Payload
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK