cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camera help needed

bobcouch
Explorer
Explorer
I am an amateur photographer - emphasis on amateur.
For the past few years, I have been using a Canon EOS Xti camera with good results, but lately, I can't seem to get a good picture.
Everything is slightly blurry, and I can't decide if the pics are out of focus or the problem is something else. They almost look like exposure time is set too long.
I've tried doing a reset to default, but it didn't seem to help.
Could it just need a professional cleaning?
What else could I try?
Thanks
Bob and Honey Couch
2008 Keystone Everest
2007 Dodge MegaCab w/ 5.9 Cummins
http://boggythicket.blogspot.com/
25 REPLIES 25

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
1. Have you tried to take a few shots that are manually focused and see if they come out sharp? Use a tripod if possible. If you can't get a manual focus shot to work, there's got to be a some internal problem (if all contacts are clean).

2. Have more than one lens? If so, does the problem occur with each lens.

3. Clean contacts on all lenses and camera body.

4. Does the problem occur when using every mode: P M A S??

5. If you've cleaned all contacts, and the problem exists irregardless of what mode you use or lens, than it's time to send it in to Canon.

Or....there's some great new cameras on the market!!!!
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
mabynack wrote:
You probably need to clean the autofocus sensor. Also try cleaning your lenses. I always keep a UV filter on my lenses and replace them about once a year. It's a lot cheaper to replace the filter than the lens.

Why do you need to replace the UV filter?? Isn't taking them off periodically and cleaning all you need to do. I use UV filters on my lenses but certainly don't need to replace them. I'm just curious...don't mean to imply anything but that.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
Are you focusing manually? If so, you may have moved your diopter adjustment and don't know it. It is used to focus what you see through the viewfinder.

Is it out of focus with all lenses or just one? It could be a lens problem.

Usually, it is camera shake when hand holding at lower than optimal shutter speeds.

I have an 11 year old 300D that still works great and without problems...
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you change lenses frequently perhaps some dust has been introduced to the CMOS sensor. You could be right that it needs a good cleaning.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
You probably need to clean the autofocus sensor. Also try cleaning your lenses. I always keep a UV filter on my lenses and replace them about once a year. It's a lot cheaper to replace the filter than the lens.

mikeleblanc413
Explorer
Explorer
Some excellent comments here! Nothing takes the place of understanding the image making process and your camera. Since my Facebook page is photo oriented you might enjoy this. I invite you to send me a Facebook Friend request at mikeleblanc413. Nope, I'm not selling anything. I am a retired educator and professional photographer. If you want to make your photos better, you'll enjoy my posts.
Mike LeBlanc
The Piney Woods Of East Texas
Lufkin, Texas

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
If you could post an example, it might be easier to diagnose the problem.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
I had a professional video business for over 30 years. About every 3-5 years my video cameras would begin to have what looked like a blur to the videos. I tried having the cameras cleaned by the factory but the problem wouldn't go away. This happened with 3 different cameras over the years. I ended up replacing the cameras.

My guess is the sensors/electronics get out of alignment due to age and use.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Send it to Cannon for repairs. I sent my 10 year old digital camera to them. They repaired it free of charge. I only paid postage when I sent it in. They even paid return postage. Great company.

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
I've been shooting Canon dSLR bodies since 2007. A couple of years ago I bought a 7D. That first summer was more or less a disaster. Most everything had a lot of noise and was out of focus. I determined 2 things were wrong. The first was that I upgraded the firmware. That cleared up the noise issues. The second turned out to me and my technique. I pretty much had to relearn how to hand hold my camera to get sharp photos. I think over the years my hands have weakened and are not as steady as they used to be. I'm once again getting great photos. Yesterday we went to the zoo, I was shooting at 1600 ISO with 1/30 second shutter speeds inside the buildings. I got some really great results from a lens I thought was toast 2 years ago.

Try this: Shoot a scene hand held. Then shoot the same scene using a tripod. If they look the same you might be able to get a camera shop to allow you to do some test shot using your lens and another body, and/or your body with a different lens.

It's conceivable that you have a bad lens or that your auto focus system is faulty. But more likely it's something you are inadvertently doing differently. Little adjustments in your stance, using a tripod with mirror lock up, etc could make all the difference in the world.

bobcouch wrote:
They almost look like exposure time is set too long.
I've tried doing a reset to default, but it didn't seem to help.

That statement concerns me. It tells me that you are just shooting in auto mode and don't really know what your camera is doing. You can get the shutter speed from your EXIF data so that you can tell if your shutter is too long.

That said, I strongly recommend getting back to basics and starting from there. If you are not familiar with your camera I highly recommend a book called "Complete Digital Photography" by Ben Long.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Have you updated the software? Yours could be corrupted.
Canon
It could have bad electronics. We were able to send our Canon in and have it repaired. It was not under warranty but we did not get charged. They knew of an issue.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker