cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can a dual band router send 2.4Ghz/ 5Ghz at the same time?

louiskathy
Explorer
Explorer
Can a dual band router send out both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz at the same time?

I set up my network on my new ASUS 66U router... it's a dual band router. I have established SSID's on both but my internet access is not showing the 5Ghz SSID at all. (and I don't have it on "Hide".)

We share our wifi with other volunteers so I have them on the 2.4 Ghz side to send the signal across the parking area. I wanted to setup a 5Ghz for my own network in the motor home but I can't seem to figure it out.

ASUS tech support has emailed instructions but they ignore my question... "Do all the devices on the network need to have the same type of network card?" I've got computers that are from 2012 to now.

My question to them:
I tried to use the 5ghz SSID that was created when I created the SSID on the 2.4
GHz... I can't get it to work. I can't even see it on my Internet Access list.
I read something about having to change my channel to "N"... when I did that my Sony Vaio laptop had a major melt down. Blue screen of death and I had to back track and change everything back to the previous settings.
I think the problem is that my Sony VaioS series laptop from 2012 (windows 7 professional) doesn't have the correct wifi card so it can not get on the "N" channel?
In order to get on the 5ghz SSID... IF I used a wire to connect the laptop to the router... would I be able to get it to work then without causing my laptop to have a major meltdown again?

Their answer back to me:
Dear Kathy,

Thank you for choosing ASUS Customer Service.

I understand that you are facing issues with router. I profusely apologize for the inconvenience caused, I will surely help you with that.

Yes, No need to worry you can able to configure your router without issues.

In this case, I suggest you to follow below steps and check if it works:

Step 1: Open your internet browser and type '192.168.1.1/index.asp' in the address bar and press ENTER.

Step 2: Type 'admin' in the Username field and 'admin' in the Password field and select โ€˜Okโ€™. Now, you will be in your routerโ€™s Information page.

Step 3: From the Navigation Panel, go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > General Tab

Step 4: Select 2.4GHz or 5GHz as the frequency band for your wireless network.

Step 5: Assign a unique name containing up to 32 characters for your SSID (Service Set Identifier) or Network Name to identify your wireless network. Wi-Fi devices can identify and connect to the wireless network via your assigned SSID. The SSIDs on the information banner are updated once new SSIDs are saved to the settings.

Step 6: In the โ€˜Hide SSIDโ€™ field, select 'No' to automatically detect your SSID.

Step 7: Select 'Auto' in the Wireless Mode option.

Step 8: Select any of these Channel Bandwidths to accommodate higher transmission speeds:
(A) 20MHz (default): Select this bandwidth if you encounter some issues with your wireless connection.
(B) 40MHz: Select this bandwidth to maximize the wireless throughput.

Step 9: Select the Control Channel for your wireless router. Choose โ€˜Autoโ€™ to allow the wireless router to automatically select the channel that has the least amount of interference.

Step 10: Set Authentication Method to WPA2-Personal (This option provides very strong security).

Step 11: Set WPA Encryption to AES.

Step 12: Enter 8 to 16 alphanumeric characters in the WPA Pre-shared Key. This is your SSID's password.

Step 13: Then select โ€˜Applyโ€™ and reboot the router.

Aslo in this case, I suggest you to try changing the control channel of your router by following the instructions given below:

1. Please launch a browser and go to the default website of ASUS routerโ€™s settings page which is http://192.168.1.1

2. Click the button "Wireless" below the advanced settings.

3. You will see Channel bandwidth option please set it to 20/40/80 MHz.

4. Then below that you will see "Control Channel" select it and set the different channels that should be above 1 4 9.

5. Then click "Apply" and reboot the router.

Hope this helps. If you need further assistance, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Thank you for choosing ASUS.

Regards,
Raja R
Kathy
12 REPLIES 12

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
joebedford wrote:
YC 1 wrote:
As an example my laptop is 2.5 ghz.
You overclock that?

I was speaking about the frequency band versus the speed of the computer. Can get confusing.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
YC 1 wrote:
As an example my laptop is 2.5 ghz.
You overclock that?

APT
Explorer
Explorer
My suspicion is neither of your devices support the 5GHz channel. I have a mix of devices that support one or both. The older devices that only support 2.4GH z are blind to the other SSID. My other devices clearly show both connections available.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Moved from Forum Technical Support

louiskathy
Explorer
Explorer
YC1 and TheSidwells... thank you.
I have not used my Asus tablet since I got this router... just turned it on and it picked up all the SSID's including the 5 Ghz.

I'll hardwire my desktop to it. THANK YOU!
Kathy

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
Like BB said, my new devices connect to my Netgear's "SSID-5G" ap and the older devices to "SSID". I have about two dozen wireless connections going on at home - no problems.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
When I do a search for available wifi at home, I see both "ROUTERNAME" AND "ROUTERNAME-5G" for my dual band router.

TheSidwells
Explorer
Explorer
Most older computers do not support 5ghz unless a new WIFI device that supports 5ghz is added. Smart phones and Tablets lease then 2 years or so should be compatiable though.

If you direct connected to the router you should be good to go though.
The Sidwell's

Live like no tomorrow, plan like there is....

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Just because your set the router up to broadcast on 5ghz does not mean your laptop or other devices are compatible. As an example my laptop is 2.5 ghz. To have it SEE the 5ghz router I have to use a separate thumb drive device with the proper receiver.

And yes, they can simulcast both signals.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the ASUS RT-AC-66U router which I filled out the SSID info for both bands which claims it does use Simultaneous Dual Band.

However when I check the available WIFI signals I only see the SSID info for the 2.4Ghz mode.

Since I don't use anything with 5Ghz I really haven't gone any farther... If I don't see the SSID info for the 5Ghz mode I really doubt it is there to use...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

louiskathy
Explorer
Explorer
SCVJeff wrote:
Without needing to read this entire post,,the answer is Yes they can.

I followed their instructions (During this time, I controlled the Asus 66U router with my VAIO laptop. ) and after I followed those instructions... my ASUS desktop suddenly lost it's ability to see any internet access points. Rebooting it did not bring back any internet access ability. It could not see any SSID's but my client list showed six others were on the 2.4 Ghz SSID's. (There are 3 SSID's on the 2.4 Ghz )

Setting the Router back to the settings I had before I followed those instructions did not allow my desktop to get on the internet.
I had to do a restore back to 1/20/2016 on my ASUS desktop to undo the damage.
I have a 2014 ASUS Desktop
CM6730-US002Q
Windows 7 Home Professional 64-bit
Just a little more info... when I bought this desktop computer it did not come with an Ethernet card.
On 1/19/2015 I contacted ASUS about it.
They sent an Ethernet card to me, free. 802.11n Wireless LAN card

Under Device Manger... My 2012 Sony VAIO laptop shows that it has a centrino advanced N 6235 network adapter.... and a Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport adapter and a Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport adapter #2. I can't really tell if they are compatible with 5 Ghz. But the ASUS desktop is a 2014 and I would think that it should be able to see both 2.4 and 5 Ghz.

So far... on this problem, everything that Asus technical support has been of no help. I had great cust support from them in 2014 but sadly, they've gone downhill a lot since then.
Kathy

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Without needing to read this entire post,,the answer is Yes they can.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350