Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Computers

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
My laptop is Hp about 9 years old.
Everytime Microsoft or Firefox etc updates it brings new security problems and blocks fixes and programs to stop them, in place before the update.
There are three ports that are labeled trusted whatever. I don't remember this late hour. I traced on of them to east of Salt Lake. I don't remember the community, a couple of years ago. I can't seem to shut them off or block them.
And adware and popups, that block one flavor and another flavor pops up.
use Scripts and block most things but then can't access anything. If you don't use some script blocking computer runs like warm fudge on a cold day.
Bought a new Toshiba and I don't care for it's awarkedness and can't read th larger type keyboard. It's like looking at shadows unless right under a hundred watt bulb.

Mac Book: what has it got going for it and can you lock out big brother and all the adware?

How about someone other than Microsoft? Windows Ten is all spyware and even more adware and unblockable or by thee time you get it done somewhat a new update of new adware and spyware?
12 REPLIES 12

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
You might want to check around for another shop if your techs don't recommend that you update your OS. That's just being proactive.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
8.1 Van wrote:
Regarding Microsoft, I have NEVER updated one single update. There are about 102 sitting in my need to update now reminder. Been 8 years now and all I can tell you is I do not have any problems that you see people complaining about updates crashing something else on their computers. I've had my laptop in to check for spyware and adware and they never find any.

Why would you need to take your laptop in to check for spyware and adware if you never had any problems ?

On edit, I didn't mean I brought it it to 'check' for spyware I had the screen looked at once and to remove ubuntu as my default that my idiot friends put on it when I lent it to them. The tech shop automatically does a check to clean up whenever I bring it in.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer
Regarding Microsoft, I have NEVER updated one single update. There are about 102 sitting in my need to update now reminder. Been 8 years now and all I can tell you is I do not have any problems that you see people complaining about updates crashing something else on their computers. I've had my laptop in to check for spyware and adware and they never find any.

Why would you need to take your laptop in to check for spyware and adware if you never had any problems ?

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know what model Toshiba laptops some of you are using, but I am pleased with my two year old Toshiba Satellite laptop.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
down home wrote:
How about someone other than Microsoft? Windows Ten is all spyware and even more adware and unblockable or by thee time you get it done somewhat a new update of new adware and spyware?
Troll!

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I'm MacBook Pro user going on for 14 years and never had a virus on my laptop. I keep up with the updates in the App.Store. I guess it still can happen, but so far lucky.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
It's naive to think that Windows is the only OS that has security vulnerabilities and monthly patches.

The notion that Windows 10 is more invasive in our personal lives, well, if you have that concern, you've missed the fact that use of credit cards and store loyalty cards has given advertisers more info about you than you'd ever dream.

Funny thing is that I've been running Windows since '93. Never any real problems. I keep my machines patched. Patches are not the problem. The issues come in when using 3rd party drivers, and running malware magnets like Java, Adobe Acrobat Reader, and Flash Player. I don't use any of those.

If you are having problems with updates it's because you've already got deep seated issues and possibly malware that you haven't rooted out yet.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:
Bought a new Toshiba and I don't care for it's awarkedness and can't read th larger type keyboard. It's like looking at shadows unless right under a hundred watt bulb........

X2
Boy you got that right. I bought the same Toshiba!

Note to self DO NOT buy a laptop with black shiny keys! You can't see squat unless you have a spot light right on top of it. Makes for a real pain using it in an RV.

Regarding Microsoft, I have NEVER updated one single update. There are about 102 sitting in my need to update now reminder. Been 8 years now and all I can tell you is I do not have any problems that you see people complaining about updates crashing something else on their computers. I've had my laptop in to check for spyware and adware and they never find any. My laptop never crashes or hangs up either. Living proof that if you and your computer will not spontaneously combust if you don't download their updates!

I find it VERY hard to believe that a tech company can design a OS and then like clockwork have a jillion updates before it even hits the stores. I believe its just a ploy to get users to download from the internet to gather, compromise and track users. That all said I use Firefox and do NOT have one thing google on my computer.Just saying.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

cmcdar
Explorer
Explorer
I brought my laptop with me this winter but find that, most often I just use my Kindle Fire for all my internet needs (like right now).

I got a case with a bluetooth keyboard and it is like a little laptop.

I only pull out the laptop for uploading and editing pictures.

I got my Kindle for like $69.
HTT: 2007 R-Vision Trail Cruiser c191
TV: 2010 Nissan Titan Pro4X Crew Cab

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I use the Lenovo laptop with Firefox, adblock+ and Ghostery and I like it a lot. Alot to be said about smart phones and tablets. I can type so I just prefer a laptop with a keyboard.

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:
My laptop is Hp about 9 years old.
Everytime Microsoft or Firefox etc updates it brings new security problems and blocks fixes and programs to stop them, in place before the update.
There are three ports that are labeled trusted whatever. I don't remember this late hour. I traced on of them to east of Salt Lake. I don't remember the community, a couple of years ago. I can't seem to shut them off or block them.
And adware and popups, that block one flavor and another flavor pops up.
use Scripts and block most things but then can't access anything. If you don't use some script blocking computer runs like warm fudge on a cold day.
Bought a new Toshiba and I don't care for it's awarkedness and can't read th larger type keyboard. It's like looking at shadows unless right under a hundred watt bulb.

Mac Book: what has it got going for it and can you lock out big brother and all the adware?

Get an ASUS Chromebit and plug it into a low cost 1080p monitor along with keyboard and mouse . Google Chrome OS is more secure than Windows .

ASUS Chromebit video

ASUS Chromebit

20" 1080p monitor with dual speakers

wireless mouse/keyboard

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Probably 95% of the time Im on my tablet. My windows based computer sits idle. Unless your a heavy keyboard user tou might think about this option too.