cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DirectTVwith Winegard combatibility question

MX955
Explorer
Explorer
We recently purchased a motorhome that has a Winegard Minimax RT8035T satellite on it and I am trying to get my HR23 receiver to work with it but not having any luck. The receiver is activated and works fine in the house. I guess my question are these two compatible and if so what do I need to do. I keep getting errors saying it cannot find signal.I am very new to this whole satellite tv thing and don't know very much,so any help with what would work would be appreciated ...Thanks!
14 REPLIES 14

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
That one is the Tailgater from Dish Network (HINT, Who makes the tailgater) which is designed to work with the Dish VIP-211K and nothing else..

In case your hint is to imply that Dish Network makes the Tailgater, that is incorrect. It is made by King Controls (King Dome).
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
DirecTV is compatable with all but one of the "Dome" type antennas. That one is the Tailgater from Dish Network (HINT, Who makes the tailgater) which is designed to work with the Dish VIP-211K and nothing else..

DirecHDTV will not work (Except in SD mode) with a dome.

The Domes have some kind of selector or programming switch, Wineguard generally uses a DIP switch (Dual Inline Package if you wonder what DIP means) under the dome. You need to set the switches per the chart in the fine manual to make it look for the proper bird.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MX955
Explorer
Explorer
It's working now! I talked to Jared at Winegard and he walked me through everything. The problem ended up being my neighbors trees! I was parked about 30-40ft from them but he had me move to a open area and it worked..Thanks to everyone for all the help and thanks to Winegard tech Jared...he rules!

My settings ended up being: 18" round,multiswitch & single.

MX955
Explorer
Explorer
hitchup wrote:
The HR23 is a HD receiver. Your model Winegard dish is only DISH HD capable. Only Trav'ler is DirecTV HD compatible.

But if you switch to a SD channel for it to search and lock in to a signal. Menu, Settings, Display, Preferences

We have the HR24 HD receivers and I have the SD duplicates hidden on the menu.

I changed preferences to hide HD channels...same result,satellite signal could not be detected.

MX955
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Winegard wrote:
If you have settings for front and rear mount then you must also have an in-motion version of the Mini-Max (I see you post T as the model number so it is in-motion). If the antenna is moving that means your GPS module is working as it will only turn 90 degrees, wait, turn 90 degrees, wait......until it finds the GPS signal. The front / rear option is based upon where the plug comes out of the base of the antenna. If the plug comes out facing the rear of the coach that the standard setting and requires the 8 only dip switch down. If the cables come out facing the front of the coach that's the other setting.
Now, with the antenna off, go into your receiver and select 18" round, multiswitch and single (not dual? Do you not have 2 cables running in?)
Now, go to Signal Meter followed by Signal Strength. Power on the antenna and watch the signal strength screen. Let me know if you ever see a reasonable signal strength here (even for a second). Also, if you can, listen for the antenna stopping and trying to peak rather than it just continually turning from stop to stop.

I only have 1 cable running into the coach,it does have a spot on the dish to add another...

With all setting described as above this is what I'm getting...all zero's:

hitchup
Explorer
Explorer
The HR23 is a HD receiver. Your model Winegard dish is only DISH HD capable. Only Trav'ler is DirecTV HD compatible.

But if you switch to a SD channel for it to search and lock in to a signal. Menu, Settings, Display, Preferences

We have the HR24 HD receivers and I have the SD duplicates hidden on the menu.
2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3....our custom home
2014 Ford F450 KR CC 4x4......his office
2015 Lance 1172 TC.....mobile Motel FOR SALE
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005

"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss it, you will land among the Stars."

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have settings for front and rear mount then you must also have an in-motion version of the Mini-Max (I see you post T as the model number so it is in-motion). If the antenna is moving that means your GPS module is working as it will only turn 90 degrees, wait, turn 90 degrees, wait......until it finds the GPS signal. The front / rear option is based upon where the plug comes out of the base of the antenna. If the plug comes out facing the rear of the coach that the standard setting and requires the 8 only dip switch down. If the cables come out facing the front of the coach that's the other setting.
Now, with the antenna off, go into your receiver and select 18" round, multiswitch and single (not dual? Do you not have 2 cables running in?)
Now, go to Signal Meter followed by Signal Strength. Power on the antenna and watch the signal strength screen. Let me know if you ever see a reasonable signal strength here (even for a second). Also, if you can, listen for the antenna stopping and trying to peak rather than it just continually turning from stop to stop.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

MX955
Explorer
Explorer
I just recheck all my switch settings on the dish to make sure they were set proper and it has 8 switches and for Direct TV front mount which it is the switches should be all up except for #8 which is down. They also have settings for rear mount with Direct TV that has #1 & #8 down with all others up,I tried with these settings and had same result...frustrating

MX955
Explorer
Explorer
Talked to Direct TV and Winegard support & they are telling me it is compatible...I just ran a new cable(RG6) down & through the window from the main on Minimax to the #1 imput on the receiver,same result.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Make sure the cable goes directly from the dish to the receiver with no devices in the line.
Bill.Winegard: why does website say his receiver is not compatible?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

MX955
Explorer
Explorer
I have done everything suggested in above posts & still having same problem..

Checking signal strength I get all zero's?

I have verified dish is powering up & moving & proper cable is going from "main" from Minimax dish to the receiver "satellite in 1".... Any other suggestions?

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
I just got a new dish today from Al's RV in Az. $400 less than the same one from another dealer on Grand ave. A lot of money for the same one installed.
So big a world, so little time to see.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The HR23 should work. You must first go into the receiver setup menu and set the antenna type to oval 3-LNB and the switch type to multiswitch. Once this is done, go to signal strength and signal meter before turning on the antenna. Now turn on the antenna and let it lock to 101. Once complete you can click the continue buttons all the way to the end.
Just be sure that you go into the receiver setup menu and click on Display>Preferences and then Hide HD channels so your SD channels become available.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Your receiver is not listed as being compatible with your dish.

Directtv compatibility

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker