cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DirecTV Question

NekkidFish
Explorer
Explorer
If I remember right, when we do get our RV, we can take the HDTV receiver with us in the MH, and be able to watch TV through that.

First question: If we have multiple TV's in the MH, do we also need to take extra receivers with us?

Next: Do we have to have a dish like we have on the roof at home?

Thanks bunches! Jules
2014 Coachmen Leprechaun 319DS
Let the adventures begin!
65 REPLIES 65

NekkidFish
Explorer
Explorer
tfolks206 wrote:
#17 should be the correct setup, i just went through this issue 2 weeks ago, the satellite needs to be absolutely level vertically and you will need a satellite finder or have someone sit inside and watch the signal meter on the receiver while adjusting the antenna until you find a signal

Okay, then I'll go back to #17.

We will be heading to our location this afternoon, and giving it a go again once we get there!

tfolks206
Explorer
Explorer
#17 should be the correct setup, i just went through this issue 2 weeks ago, the satellite needs to be absolutely level vertically and you will need a satellite finder or have someone sit inside and watch the signal meter on the receiver while adjusting the antenna until you find a signal

NekkidFish
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, we are trying again ... with no luck.

We got the power Inserter working, and no longer get the SWM not detected message ... but now it says the satellite cannot be found. Grrrrr

I had selected in the setup #17 SWM-3 ... but I noticed on the back of the reciever where the coax goes in, it says SWM-5, so I went back through the setup again, and chose #18 SWM-5 .... but still no luck.

Why can't it find the satellite? What else should we try?

Oh, and we ended up having to run the cable directly fro the sat dish outside and through the door into the rig. We tried using the cable connector inside, but that wasn't working. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I am running with the old 18 inch round. size and weight is the issue.

Run a dual lnb into a swm and add the power inserter at the receiver box location.

as stated no hi def, but we are roughing it. :B

tfolks206
Explorer
Explorer
NekkidFish wrote:
tfolks206 wrote:
Nekkid it is possible that you have not done the satellite rewire yet if you are trying to use factory coax wire.

take a look at this Link and see that you have done that?

The package/setup came with the coax we need for DTV.

ok just checking, if you are running a direct cable then yeah sounds like a power problem, i thought you might have been using the factory coax and hooking the dish up to the COAX-IN on the outside, my fault.

NekkidFish
Explorer
Explorer
tfolks206 wrote:
Nekkid it is possible that you have not done the satellite rewire yet if you are trying to use factory coax wire.

The package/setup came with the coax we need for DTV.

tfolks206
Explorer
Explorer

NekkidFish
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
This may be a dumb question, and I don't mean to insult your intelligence, but did you plug the PI into a 120v outlet and make sure it was getting power? If the outlet was dead, the PI won't work.

I once replaced a $2000 deep freeze only to find out the 89 cent outlet had gone bad.

DW was not happy.

That was the reason we stopped for the night. The PI wasn't getting power. After we brought everything in, I had hubby go out and check, and we found that the GFI in the bathroom was tripped. Now the plugs have power again.

Hubby is still in a meeting, so I doubt we will get to give it a go tonight. There is always tomorrow! ๐Ÿ™‚

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
This may be a dumb question, and I don't mean to insult your intelligence, but did you plug the PI into a 120v outlet and make sure it was getting power? If the outlet was dead, the PI won't work.

I once replaced a $2000 deep freeze only to find out the 89 cent outlet had gone bad.

DW was not happy.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

NekkidFish
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
Did it find the satellite? If it is not connected to the antenna, it will search forever. The setup screen merely means the receiver is connected to the television.

Again, try with a direct coax to the antenna from the PI, merely as a test. It won't take long.

It found the satellite, but said the SWM could not be detected. When we try again, now that I think Ihave the setup right ... and if we aren't successful I will do a direct connect like you say to do!

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did it find the satellite? If it is not connected to the antenna, it will search forever. The setup screen merely means the receiver is connected to the television.

Again, try with a direct coax to the antenna from the PI, merely as a test. It won't take long.
Bobbo and Lin

NekkidFish
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
NekkidFish wrote:
Okay, problem number one is that I had taken the modem thingee out there, thinking we needed that. Now I realize that we don't.

Then I brought the Power Inserter inside the rig, and plugged it in and it had no power. Tried three different outlets and still no power. Gave up and brought everything in the house, so I could make sure everything is running right in here for the night.

I won't use the right lingo, but if I can explain how I think the setup is supposed to be, and you tell me if I am right or wrong?

Coax comes out of the wall and into the slot on the power Inserter that says Power to SWM.

Coax goes from power Inserter (side that says Signal to IRD) to the back of the reciever.

HDMI goes from back of reciever to the back of the TV.

Does that sound about right?

This may be your problem. Not all coax run in RVs are compatible with satellite. As a test, don't hook up to the coax in the wall. Hook up to a 50' or 100' coax cable running out the door to the LNB. Does it work now? If so, the coax in your wall won't work.

The rest of your setup looks right.

The coax for satellite has to run relatively uninterrupted to the LNB so it can carry the voltage the LNB needs. Some RV coax has splitters inline that don't pass the voltage. My 2007 Winnebago's coax would not work with satellite, so I had to install another coax run, straight without splitters.

I'm not sure if this will shed any light ... but as we had it set up, as described above ... I did get to the DirecTV setup screen, and it went through the thing it does when searching for a satelite. Doesn't that mean that the cable running to it is good?

I still think the Power Inserter was our problem, and I'm hoping when hubby gets home tonight, we have time to try and give it a go again.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
NekkidFish wrote:
Okay, problem number one is that I had taken the modem thingee out there, thinking we needed that. Now I realize that we don't.

Then I brought the Power Inserter inside the rig, and plugged it in and it had no power. Tried three different outlets and still no power. Gave up and brought everything in the house, so I could make sure everything is running right in here for the night.

I won't use the right lingo, but if I can explain how I think the setup is supposed to be, and you tell me if I am right or wrong?

Coax comes out of the wall and into the slot on the power Inserter that says Power to SWM.

Coax goes from power Inserter (side that says Signal to IRD) to the back of the reciever.

HDMI goes from back of reciever to the back of the TV.

Does that sound about right?

This may be your problem. Not all coax run in RVs are compatible with satellite. As a test, don't hook up to the coax in the wall. Hook up to a 50' or 100' coax cable running out the door to the LNB. Does it work now? If so, the coax in your wall won't work.

The rest of your setup looks right.

The coax for satellite has to run relatively uninterrupted to the LNB so it can carry the voltage the LNB needs. Some RV coax has splitters inline that don't pass the voltage. My 2007 Winnebago's coax would not work with satellite, so I had to install another coax run, straight without splitters.
Bobbo and Lin

NekkidFish
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
If that's not what you are using, we need to start there. There should only be 2 SWM setups. The SWM8 described there or an antenna with the SWM built into the LNB itself.

Bill, this is the setup I bought. If you scroll down, it shows what components are included. It is a 3 SWM setup I think.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
If that's not what you are using, we need to start there. There should only be 2 SWM setups. The SWM8 described there or an antenna with the SWM built into the LNB itself.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?