disable the two receivers for two months. The next thing I know, they
sent me a box to return my 2 receivers. I have argued with directv
until I am blue in the face. Does anyone know of a solution to this
problem, besides leaving directv.
16 REPLIES 16

KeninAZ
Explorer
Explorer
We had DTV service from the beginning when you bought the equipment and installed it yourself.
They are a much different company now.
4 years ago I had enough and when we bought another home and moved in we went with cable.
DTV fought me all the way, even after some 15 years. They tried to tell me I had a two year contract in force and I told them to prove it. They attached a $500 (I think it was) early disconnect on my credit when I refused to pay it without proof.
They referred my "collections" to 3 companies forcing me one by one to send what I had to them to get rid of them.
Finally I notified the last collections company and DRV if they contacted me again or referred this matter or listed it on my credit report I would sue them.
Enough said, they dropped the matter entirely.
2000 Bounder 31M Class A~oldie but goodie
Acme EZE Tow Dolly towing 2017 Chrysler Pacifica

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
It ain't changed in my 15 years. If what they tell you ain't right, just call back,....maybe the 3rd or 4th time you'll get a civilized human that has a clue !
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
did that to me also... sent an empty box .. knowing I am not at home... sent box to campground..

I called back.. was told to put box in trash.... and call when I return home to turn ON home box.

New people... no training.

missnmountains
Explorer
Explorer
Another alternative is to purchase your own receivers. We did this and we turn them on and off as needed. The ones on our boat are difficult to remove so we just leave them there. The house DVR and Wifi mini move into the RV.

Never had any trouble turning them on and off. However, one time, they wanted me to send a boat one back. I had to argue up to a supervisor to explain the boxes are owned by me. They figured it out.

Ken
2016 Newmar Dutch Star 4369

Our Blog: Lawrence Adventures

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
We have no problem putting our service into suspension. Apparently, what they are trying to avoid is someone nickel and diming them over the few buck fees for individual receivers. I would imagine the customer service cost for agents to start and stop $5.00 individual receivers is a big money loser as well as a customer service bottleneck. I doubt most people have the all the necessary information (box serial number, access card ID etc) at their fingertips when they call. Tie up an agent for 15 or 20 minutes to stop a single box cannot be a business model they want. Make it next to impossible to do, and the problem goes away from their point of view. They aren't going to lose many customers when those customers consider the alternatives (get a different provider that is still compatible with an RV, return the boxes and wait for the new ones every time they want to activate those TVs or just pay the $5.00 fee a month and keep them all up and running).

BuckyBadger
Explorer
Explorer
Toolguy5 wrote:
It maybe just terminology, I just went back to DTV and they assured me I can suspend my service for up to 6 mos. So when we travel I can suspend it. As of now I do not have a dish to carry along with me.
Maybe in the future.

Don't know if it matters but he wants to suspend 2 boxes not service

Toolguy5
Explorer II
Explorer II
It maybe just terminology, I just went back to DTV and they assured me I can suspend my service for up to 6 mos. So when we travel I can suspend it. As of now I do not have a dish to carry along with me.
Maybe in the future.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

Dick_A
Explorer
Explorer
Moved from General RV'ing forum.
2009 Tiffin 43QBP Allegro Bus
RoadMaster Sterling Tow Bar
US Gear UTB
Ford Explorer Sport Toad
WA7MXP
"Pisqually" the attack kitty :B

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't noticed any difference.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

1971duster340
Explorer
Explorer
You will get different answers from DTV CS. It's a play on words so I've just told them in plain English "I won't use my home receivers for X months". When we return, I tell em to turn on those receivers. There are also different rules if you own vs. rent the receivers...I own all of mine.
Greg
N5LFH
2007 Chariot

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
Not a problem here.

We have been happier than a pig in you know what since the merge. Dropped Verison and went with ATT package that gives the two grandies unlimited Data and DTV viewing of our DTV package on their phones. They can even mirror the phones to their TV sets.

In regard to your post, when we snow bird we take the receivers out of the stick home and put them in the fifth wheel. I zoom in the slime line 3 that I have for camping and have DTV change my service addy to where I am at and we got the whole ball of wax while camping.

Regretfully you can not mirror the direct tv app from your IPhone to your TV.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
2015 Heartland Big Country 3650RL
Great Smokey Mountains

bunyon14
Explorer
Explorer
BEFORE AT&T IT WOULD DEPEND ON WHO YOU TALKED TO. ONE PERSON WOULD
TELL YOU ITS CALLED HIBERNATION AND OTHER ON VACATION MODE. THEY
ALSO ADVISED ME I WOULD HAVE TO CALL TO ACTIVATE THE BOXES WHEN I
AM READY TO USE THEM. THIS SYSTEM ALWAYS WORKED OKAY UNTIL NOW.

Germania
Explorer
Explorer
I have a similar situation,when I want to not use my boxes for a few months I just call them and ask to deactivate the 2 boxes, just did it in October no problem.I think the CS person also told me I could activate and deactivate via on line. Don't know havn;t tried it yet.
Maybe its the "vacation mode" wording they no longer accept.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
bunyon14 wrote:
I wanted to know if anyone else is having problems with directv since
AT&T bought them out. When I am done traveling with my RV for the
summer I normally call directv and have them put my two receivers
in vacation mode during the winter. I have been doing this since
2004. Now they tell me that vacation mode does not exist but they can
disable the two receivers for two months. The next thing I know, they
sent me a box to return my 2 receivers. I have argued with directv
until I am blue in the face. Does anyone know of a solution to this
problem, besides leaving directv.

WEll maybe, just maybe, they do not offer a vacation mode anymore. Maybe you are arguing for them to do something they no longer offer. Just because you have done it since 2004, does not mean you can continue doing it into forever!