cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dish Or Direct

Redterpos3
Explorer
Explorer
We are moving from PA to Upstate NY (actually not too far, just 1/2 hr over the border. But we have the opportunity this time to have Dish TV or Direct TV or Cable at home. I'm thinking of using the Cable for our internet but may want to go with either Dish or Direct for our Television, as I've never had either of these.

Which is best to combine with the RV?
What receiver(s) do I need to do this in the RV?
Which one do people like (very subjective I know, I'd like opinions)?
Can I use 2 wireless receivers in the RV?

I have about a month to do my research!
The Travelin' Terrapins!
2016 Ford F-350 SRW;CC;4x4;172WB;6.7PSD;34,000m
2011 Nash 27T 12,995m
2013 Yr1 30nts 3150m
2014 Yr2 52nts 3365m
2015 yr3 25nts 2260m
2016 yr4 46nts 2500m
2017 yr5 24nts 1720m
2018 yr6 4nts 30m
13 REPLIES 13

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
As happy as I am with DISH and the Hopper/Joey, they dont work with any of the auto carry out antennas.

I use a tripod and a house type dish so it works with the Hopper but got tired of taking it all out every time we went camping so I bought a 211 DVR to take and leave the Hopper home to record shows.

It will work with the Winegard Pathway X 2. $400 not $1800.

A roof top doesn't work for us. I have a dome now that hasn't been used in years.

We camp where there are trees if we can.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

stevewise
Explorer
Explorer
Dish have the month to month plan Direct does not also if you have dish at home they will just add everything you have at home to your RV, but make sure your SAT is for Dish.
'15 Sierra 377FLIK
'14 Ford F350 SRW King Ranch
DW and Cricket the Chihuahua

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
2chiefsRus wrote:
Be sure when you are purchasing SAT equipment for the RV, that you take into consideration that SD (standard definition) service for Directv will likely be stopped sometime around the end of 2019. That is why we went ahead and upgraded our in-motion SD dome to HD (High Definition) service from Directv with the roof mounted Winegard Trav'ler. It was expensive . . .

Before you shell out the big bucks for a Travler, consider switching to DISH. DISH's whole house DVR (Hopper 3) is head and shoulders above DirecTV offerings + there's Prime Time Any Time.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
Be sure when you are purchasing SAT equipment for the RV, that you take into consideration that SD (standard definition) service for Directv will likely be stopped sometime around the end of 2019. That is why we went ahead and upgraded our in-motion SD dome to HD (High Definition) service from Directv with the roof mounted Winegard Trav'ler. It was expensive but works well for us. We still have an SD portable sat dish that we can use when we are parked under trees blocking the roof-mounted Trav'ler.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

Not_a_Clue
Explorer
Explorer
-----
Linda B.
Our Blog
2009 29' Fleetwood, Fiesta V10 - The Little Bus
2008 Saturn Vue (Toad)with US Gear UBS
& Demco baseplate and tow bar.
FMCA# F412985
Traveling with Robin(friend)& Buddee(cavalier)

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had both and recently switched to DISH as they have a two year 190 channels for $49/mo, no charge for HD or DVR service, free premiums for three months, prepaid Netflix for one year.

HD in an RV is hard with Directv. No automatic carry out like for DISH.

I like DISH better than I did DTV.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
all dish receivers are now (now meaning as of when we acquired DISH last fall) eligible for the pay-as-you-go plans. we have the VIP722k dvr/receiver and the Winegard Trav'ler automatic dish antenna on the roof.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

aslakson
Explorer
Explorer
We have DirecTV because they have some channels we like a lot that Dish doesn't. And we have just one receiver - a Genie - that drives both TV sets thru an HDMI splitter.

al
Fulltiming since Apr 2007 in 2000 Rexhall Aerbus, towing 2012 Honda CRV. 47 of the lower 48 so far.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Redterpos3 wrote:
We are moving from PA to Upstate NY (actually not too far, just 1/2 hr over the border. But we have the opportunity this time to have Dish TV or Direct TV or Cable at home. I'm thinking of using the Cable for our internet but may want to go with either Dish or Direct for our Television, as I've never had either of these.

Which is best to combine with the RV?
What receiver(s) do I need to do this in the RV?
Which one do people like (very subjective I know, I'd like opinions)?
Can I use 2 wireless receivers in the RV?

I have about a month to do my research!

Both services work well with an RV. What antenna type you use in the RV will effect both services. If you want to use a dome style antenna (roof mounted or portable automatic) you cannot get HD with DirecTV and you are limited to only 1 signal tuner receiver with Dish. Yes, a DVR or second receiver can be used but there will always be conflicts.
Again, the type receiver you use in the RV will depend upon the antenna type you select for the RV. The Hopper (Dish) and Genie (DirecTV) will not operate with a dome but work great with a Trav'ler or a ground mounted tripod with full sized home antenna.
You cannot use 2 wireless receivers in the RV. These are only clients and must have a Hopper or Genie as the source for the satellite signal which is hard wired. A wireless client receiver can then be used at a 2nd location.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
We prefer Dish in part for the ease of changing our service location as we move from place to place. We like to watch the local channels for the area we're in.

We have a two Hopper system with a Joey and use a tripod mounted dish that can be configured for either Dish satellite arc. It typically takes me less than 15 minutes to set up and aim it.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Take your pick. Do you like sports? Direct offers better sports packages. Either can be taken and used in your RV with the proper antenna. With the direct protection pqckage I have one number support and replacement equipment if needed no hassles

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
We have dish, a trav'ler, a hopper and a joey for our RV.
What you get will completely depend on how cheap you want to go and how much effort you want to put into getting satellite service.

If you want to go cheap, get a manual dish and tripod for the service you want and take the receiver/s from the house. This will be the most work every time you travel.

If you want to go easy, get an automatic dish such as the Pathway X2, and a 211 receiver. This will be more expensive at the beginning but will save you time when you travel. (If you require HD you will want Dish rather than Direct.)
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
We have Dish in the RV. I like it because they have a "pay as you go" plan. If you want to use it just pay the bill. If you don't need it for 2 or 3 months don't pay the invoice then when you are ready to travel just pay for the service. No contract like with direcTV. It is also easier and less expensive to get HD with Dish. The receivers for the RV are the VIP 211. You can even add a hard drive for a recorder.
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie