cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DISH VIP211k or z DVR upgrade

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is anyone using a USB powered external hard drive with their Dish 211k or z for the DVR upgrade? Dish specifies using an external power supply unit, but I seem to recall seeing reports of folks using portable USB powered drives successfully instead.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate
13 REPLIES 13

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bill & Kate wrote:
We like the RF output on our "k" model - feed it back into the other cable outlet so we can watch satellite on the bedroom or outside TV

Yep, I do see the advantages in having the additional outputs. The smaller size of the 'z' would have been easier for me fit in the available space, but I can make the 'k' fit with a little filler trimming.
Dutch

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gdetrailer wrote:

That is why I stated that the SMALLER as in PHYSICALLY SMALL 2.5" LAPTOP drive external drives MIGHT work.

Standard DESKTOP (IE 3.5") drives require considerably more current than 500 MA and also require 12V which is not available through the USB port.

Typical external drives which use 3.5" drives will have drive sizes lager than 1 TB of space. However you should check the current draw on small drives if they exceed 500 gig in space..

One should also understand that the recordings placed on the external drive WILL be PROTECTED or "encoded", you will not be able to plug the drive into your PC and watch or copy the recordings.

As I said, I am aware of the USB current limits. In looking at USB 3 capable drives, the only ones I'm considering are the USB 2 compatibles that adhere to the lower current limit. The 'z' may well be USB 3 capable, but I haven't found a spec to support that. The other 'z' limitations appear to be ruling it out anyway, in favor of the 'k'.
Dutch

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Bill, sent you a PM.....
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

Bill___Kate
Explorer
Explorer
We like the RF output on our "k" model - feed it back into the other cable outlet so we can watch satellite on the bedroom or outside TV
Bill & Kate - Stone Harbor, NJ
w/ Bailey (standard poodle) and Zeke (partipoodle)- both rescues
2018 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab w/ 6.2L gasser
2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX fifth wheel

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
TechWriter wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Bill & Kate wrote:
Bought it in January - it is the VIP211k

Thanks again! I'm buying a VIP211z, but I haven't been able to find a manual for it online. The 'z' is different than the 'k' in that it's smaller and lighter, and also has two USB ports. I don't know if the drive recommendations are any different though, and the two dealers I've spoken to so far, didn't know either. I could just wait for it to arrive I suppose, and then figure it out. ๐Ÿ™‚

Yes, and the 211z has a really cool case.

But here's what the 211k has that has been removed from the 211z:
- RF video out
- Component Video outputs
- Optical output
- OTA tuner (which means you have to buy DISH's $30 digital USB tuner if you want to connect your batwing to the 221z) This is what the additional USB port if for.

Hmmmm, I knew about the OTA tuner, but I wasn't aware of the other deletions except the optical out that I don't need. I haven't placed my order yet, so I'll rethink my choice now. Detailed specs on the 'z' have been difficult to find. Thank you for the heads up!
Dutch

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Is anyone using a USB powered external hard drive with their Dish 211k or z for the DVR upgrade? Dish specifies using an external power supply unit, but I seem to recall seeing reports of folks using portable USB powered drives successfully instead.

I don't have your model but the VIP722 which has the same restriction. The reason for this is many external HDs can exceed the current rating of the receivers USB ports.

The current typically allowed on USB ports is 500 Ma (Milli Amperes).

Exceeding that current may damage the USB port and or other components in the receiver.

It is for that reason they recommend external HDs that have their own power supply.

It is possible to run without the external supply provided the drive is a smaller laptop (2.5") drive since they tend to use less power. But read the drive info first and make sure it draws less than 500 MA.

I am aware of the USB current limitations. There are many portable HD's though, that work within the 500 ma spec and don't need an external power supply. I'm thinking the smaller format external portable drives would be preferable to the standard format external drives intended for desktop use, due to their better shock protection in an RV environment.

That is why I stated that the SMALLER as in PHYSICALLY SMALL 2.5" LAPTOP drive external drives MIGHT work.

Standard DESKTOP (IE 3.5") drives require considerably more current than 500 MA and also require 12V which is not available through the USB port.

Typical external drives which use 3.5" drives will have drive sizes lager than 1 TB of space. However you should check the current draw on small drives if they exceed 500 gig in space..

One should also understand that the recordings placed on the external drive WILL be PROTECTED or "encoded", you will not be able to plug the drive into your PC and watch or copy the recordings.

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Bill & Kate wrote:

Thanks again! I'm buying a VIP211z, but I haven't been able to find a manual for it online. The 'z' is different than the 'k' in that it's smaller and lighter, and also has two USB ports. I don't know if the drive recommendations are any different though, and the two dealers I've spoken to so far, didn't know either. I could just wait for it to arrive I suppose, and then figure it out. ๐Ÿ™‚

Yes, and the 211z has a really cool case.

But here's what the 211k has that has been removed from the 211z:
- RF video out
- Component Video outputs
- Optical output
- OTA tuner (which means you have to buy DISH's $30 digital USB tuner if you want to connect your batwing to the 221z) This is what the additional USB port if for.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bill & Kate wrote:

Dutch

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gdetrailer wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:

I don't have your model but the VIP722 which has the same restriction. The reason for this is many external HDs can exceed the current rating of the receivers USB ports.

Exceeding that current may damage the USB port and or other components in the receiver.

It is for that reason they recommend external HDs that have their own power supply.

It is possible to run without the external supply provided the drive is a smaller laptop (2.5") drive since they tend to use less power. But read the drive info first and make sure it draws less than 500 MA.

I am aware of the USB current limitations. There are many portable HD's though, that work within the 500 ma spec and don't need an external power supply. I'm thinking the smaller format external portable drives would be preferable to the standard format external drives intended for desktop use, due to their better shock protection in an RV environment.
Dutch

Bill___Kate
Explorer
Explorer

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dutch_12078 wrote:

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ok, thanks. Do you have a VIP211k? Or the newer VIP211z...
Dutch

Bill___Kate
Explorer
Explorer
We got a Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk 1 TB USB 3.0 External Hard Drive STAC1000103 which works perfectly. The technician I talked to at Dish to get it activated said it was important to have one of the models mentioned in the instruction manual (which this one is).