cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flatbed Scanner

BMCM
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in the market for a flatbed scanner.

Something that is OS compatible, able to scan 8x10 black 'n white and color pictures, and 35mm negatives.

Quality of scan is important.

Appreciate suggestions/recommendations.

Thanks,

Robert

OS would be Mac..

edited to add OS type.
F-350, Scorpion, QC, Dually/Alpenleak

All Gave Some,
Some Gave All.
17 REPLIES 17

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
JayGee wrote:
Have you considered just having it done by someone? Some of them do a pretty good job and have very good equipment.

Yeah, sending out IS a "possibility" BUT, if you have a lot of items to scan it can get extremely expensive, in a hurry.

Additionally, if they are your ONLY negatives, slides or prints once they are out of your hands you no longer have control of them.. Not to mention if the outside vendor loses them or damages them you are done..

The only good thing about having an outside source do them for you is speed.. They will get them done faster..

BUT, there IS a trade off to the speed, QUALITY..

They will not take the time to color correct or adjust the digital copies..

The advantage of DIY is you CAN correct each one BEFORE committing to a final scan..

I have so far dealt with 35mm slides (1500 of them), 100 of "110" negatives (tiny little things) and about 8hrs worth of Super 8mm film transfers.. I have done all of those from my families archive..

Sure, it took a lot of time, but in the end I am very proud and happy with my results..

My projects started out about 10 yrs ago when my Dad wanted to run some super 8 movies.. We set it up and the first reel the projector broke..

So, decided to pull out the 35mm slides.. Was disturbed at how much many of the slides had deteriorated.. I realized that if action wasn't taken, the slides in another 20 yrs would not be any good.

Bough the slide/film scanner and the projects started..

Once I had some of the slides scanned, I realized many of the people in the slides I did not know..

Spent many enjoyable hrs showing those photos to my Mom and Dad and they gave me the names of folks and where the photos were taken! I compiled a list giving the file name and the people on those slides..

Sadly, I was not able to complete all the scans before my mom passed.. My Dads mind is not good so I have about 600 slides that I am going to check with some of my Cousins to see if they know..

If you have photos and want to pass them to your kids, I would highly recommend marking the names of folks in the photos, even if you think others will remember.. It is better than what will happen when you are gone and no one in the family recognizes who is in the photos (I HAVE seen that happen), the photos just get thrown out..

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
obgraham wrote:
Epson V-500 Photo has scanned thousands of slides, prints, and old negatives for me, and also just plain document scanning.

The software is easier to use than the HP variety. Canon software is also good, but the Epson has more features.

Caution: scanning slides and 35mm negatives is a time consuming task.

Ditto..

I went to a photo shop for a price of taking 35mm slides to digital.. about 300 slides... price was 500 dollars.

I got the above flatbed scanner .. works great.. then started with photos to digital.. again works well. and saved Hundreds.

I am retired .. so my time is FREE, Rainy days' can not work outside in the rain.. so I SCAN...

45 years worth, to do. I was LATE to digital. but MAN it is great.

I have the scanner next to my easy chair, watching television. and scanning.

BMCM
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for the input.

Epson keeps floating its way toward the top of the recommendations, and the V-600 will probably be the choice.

The negatives and slides will reside in a fire-proof box for the time being.

Hope I have the patients to make it through the scanning of all the photos the wife has accumulated..

rw

All Gave Some,
Some Gave All.

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with most all TaTest wrote above. Converting images to digital is always a matter of compromise:

How good is the source both technically and the subject matter?
Where is the point of diminishing returns in file size?
How much cash to expend on the hardware?
How much time can you devote?
How much do you want to correct or manipulate the image as you work?

I found it very rewarding. No doubt there are better scanners and methods. The V500 and I worked out okay.

Big_Bruce
Explorer
Explorer
obgraham wrote:
Epson V-500 Photo has scanned thousands of slides, prints, and old negatives for me, and also just plain document scanning.

The software is easier to use than the HP variety. Canon software is also good, but the Epson has more features.

x2
Big Bruce
2006 Dodge, Dually, CTD, Quad Cab, 4 X 4, Automatic/ 2013 10' Camplite truck camper.
Hauling 2014 Harley Davidson Trike.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm using an Epson V500, have gone through about 8000 BW negatives, 12,000 color transparencies, 6000 color negatives. Still working my way through my photo libraries, about three years now with the Epson.

Started 10 years earlier with a Microtek that would handle only one transparent item at a time, then an HP all-in-one (C7180) that supposedly matched the Epson for resolution, but was extremely slow and the scanning software didn't work well.

If I was to start with something else, it would be the Epson V600, because the Digital ICE feature on that one works both sides of transparent media (otherwise the performance specs are the same). I think V550 replaces V500, not sure of the feature set. V500-550-600 are in the $200 range, and when I bought, included a license for Photoshop Elements, about $50 value.

Next step up is a big one. V800 lists over $700, V850 is $950. Both can do a lot more with difficult source materal, but even my V500 has pulled images from Kodachromes too dense to project (my wife's, if they had been mine they would have been thrown away) and BW negatives so thin that I never could have printed them.

I'm doing all this work on a Mac. I'm using Lightroom, however, rather than Photoshop Elements, on that platform.

Scanning small format stuff on a flatbed is tedious. I can work at it 2-3 weeks at a time, maybe get through 120-160 slides in 10-12 hours on a good day, 40-80 when the material is being difficult and low humidity is hampering dust control. My stuff is 1/2 frame and full frame 35mm, 126, 4x6 and 6x6 cm on 120/620 film and even done a little bit of 110 (a real pain to work with). My target has been around 6 MP, which means 3200 dpi from 1/2 frame, 2400 dpi from 35mm full frame or 126. Most high volume, low cost scanning services target a lower resolution (as low as 600 dpi), but you can get just about anything you are willing to pay for, e.g. 4000 dpi for about $1 per image, automated scans. Adjust the process for each image, as I am doing at home, at least 10x that from the specialty labs that work for pros still shooting film.

If all you have to work with is 35 mm material, you'll likely be more productive with a GOOD slide/film scanner. PlusTek and Pacific Image in the middle price range ($300-500), Pacific Image at the high end ($1000-2000 range) Models include a batch scanner for 35mm slides, and models for 120 format. Top of line for film scanning, quality and speed, are Flextight from Hasselblad (a little over $20,000 for the X5 model).

Don't consider those $30-50 slide scanners using a webcam to take a picture of the slide. I've struggled trying to get them to work for friends who bought them, they don't work, not even at the online-image level of expectations.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

JayGee
Explorer
Explorer
Have you considered just having it done by someone? Some of them do a pretty good job and have very good equipment.
Jaygee

2005 Bounder 35E on F53 chassis

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Having digitized over 10,000 images in many different formats, I have a few opinions on this topic. A flat bed scanner is fine for large prints (i.e. 8x10) and even medium-to-large format film (6x6 and larger). Flatbed scanners are not the best tool for scanning 35mm film. A dedicated film scanner will run circles around even the best flatbed for 35mm film.

That said, there is a HUGE difference between scanning a print and scanning the negative of the same image. The best photo papers will only reproduce about 300 samples per inch of information compared to 7,000 samples per inch and more for a dedicated film scanner. The color depth and dynamic range are also much better scanning the film than the print.

I use VueScan for both of my scanners rather than the software provided with the scanners. VueScan is updated regularly with new drivers and features. This eliminates trying to stay on top of compatibility issues with drivers and software from different sources as operating systems are updated.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
We carry a Visioneer Road Warrior 2 scanner. A flatbed scanner is only necessary for copying from books and such. For legal documents a sheet fed scanner will work just fine. Small and compact. It comes with the Paperport software that will allow you to convert to a PDF document among other choices.
Latest model: https://www.amazon.com/Visioneer-RoadWarrior-Color-Scanner-Mac/dp/B00G2I9M4E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=...
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
We also use an epson and it does a good job with negatives and slides.

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
Have you considered taking digital photos of pictures? The quality is amazing.

Takes MORE than a digital camera to pull that off.

I have done it, but even with a 16 mp camera there is a lot of huge trade offs in quality when taking a pix of a printed pix.

First problem is a good tripod with enough height for your lens to work properly.

second problem is lighting, rarely can you get away with using the camera flash.. Typically the camera flash is too close and part of the pix washes out and what doesn't washout is under lighted.. Had to use multiple bright light sources to spread out the light and even that takes a lot of trial and error.. Glossy pix are the hardest and finding the sweet spot for lighting angles takes time.

Third, I would not have attempted using a camera but the photo was to large to fit my bed scanner.

Stand alone bed scanners are not all that expensive and they do come in handy for scanning in not only pictures but documents from business card size to legal size and anything in between. We tend to scan in important documents to save to PDFs, saves paper and ink and can be easily archived on a external HD for redundancy.

Some bed scanners do offer an optional 35mm negative adapter, works for some folks and doesn't work well for others..

Look for a bed scanner that you can remove the top, not all have that feature, comes in handy for very large items where you want just a small portion scanned in.

I bought a separate 35mm film scanner to scan in my Dads, 35mm slides which are a "positive". Film for photo "prints" on paper that is a "negative", the colors are backwards from a slide.. My standalone film scanner is switchable for slides or negatives, not sure if a bed scanner is able to handle both..

I have even taken a few of the slide files to Walmart and had them printed out at 8x10 size, they looked fantastic for being taken 50 yrs ago (although I had to digitally cleanup and retouch the age damage a bit)!

I have also made an adapter which allows me to scan in the old 110 negatives (smaller than 35 mm in size), results were much better than attempting to scan in the printed photos.

Sometimes you end up buying several different things that do one job very well instead of buying one "do it all" thing that does the job half as good..

By the way, standalone 35 mm film scanners are also inexpensive and do not take much space and some can actually operate without a computer connected and save directly to a SD memory card..

BMCM
Explorer
Explorer
Oops..
Mac OS.
rw

All Gave Some,
Some Gave All.

MrWizard
OS = Mac/apple ?

they are ALL USB compatible, standard digital image, it isn't until you save the image to the PC that 'file format' is involved
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s