cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Full time RV Dish

kellygirl6767
Explorer
Explorer
In my sticks and bricks home, I had DISH Network. I have brought my satellite and receiver with me. I am on hold with DISH now to try and get set up. One tech tells me I need the Tailgater, another says I can hook up with the equipment I have. Has anyone out here brought their equipment from a home with them to use as a full-time RVer?
On the Rhoda again!
16 REPLIES 16

kellygirl6767
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your help and suggestions. For now we are going to "bird-dog". A tech came out to our site and provided us with all new equipment and got us set up. Luckily the tech was very helpful.
On the Rhoda again!

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
I think she's still on hold.

Before we discovered the chat line, we absolutely hated calling Dish to change our service address. When we would eventually get a person to talk to (after being on hold for many minutes), more often than not we either couldn't understand their English, or would get the wrong answer or would screw up our mailing address or we would have to call back when nothing was done.:M

Chat line takes care of all of that and they won't stop the chat until you are satisfied that it is working properly.:C

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think she's still on hold.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
I port my receiver from house to RV. I have an extra dish on a tripod which I carry on the RV. Once the aiming is done, no problem. I use a web site to get the coordinates before I leave home.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
I use a Dish 1000.4 along with a 722 receiver and set it up all the time. I use a mail forwarding service for my mail and it works for a billing address.
cpaulsen

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since you have a Mountain Aire and are now full timing, your best bet would be to purchase and install a DISH Trav'ler roof antenna (not satellite - as it's up in space). The Trav'ler is fully functional with just about all DISH receivers and is a one button to turn on, search all three satellites, and lock on.

We have the Trav'ler and also two DISH 722 dual receivers that we keep in the house from October to May and then switch out to the motor home May to October.

I do agree with others... go on line to Mydish.com and connect to the live chat feature. You can get quicker and better answers there and also use it to change out your "service address" whenever you move from one place to another.

Unless you plan on camping at parks with lots of trees, the Trav'ler will work just fine for you.

Good luck

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Use numbers off Dish setup and a compass. First few times of setting up is a struggle. After that about a 5 minute job. I would set up RV acfount as mentioned.

shepcal
Explorer
Explorer
As for aiming, if'n you have a smart phone, you might check out a free app called Satellite AR. Can make it all a lot easier

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
You want to get with Dish and have them convert your account to an RV account.

I find on-line chat is much superior to a voice call when trying to get something done with Dish customer support.

Since Jan 1 when we've moved from Davis Mountains State Park in far west Texas to the San Antonio area, to the Dallas area, to Texarkana, to New Orleans, to central Florida, to Fort Lauderdale, to Key West, to Daytona, to Perry, GA, to Charleston, to the Outer Banks of North Carolina, to Williamsburg, VA, to Washington DC to where we sit right now in north east New Jersey - I've been able to reset my service address quickly with on-line chat.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Ed_Gee
Explorer II
Explorer II
KellyGirl, I mis-spoke on my earlier response to you in that I overlooked that you no longer live in the home and heve taken your equipment with you full timing. In such a case I do not know how you transfer your home account. I suspect all you need do is give them a new billing address, and then do everything else I suggested. I assume you will have some mail forwarding address to give Dish for your billing address....
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, I don't bring the sat dish from home as it is mounted on our roof, but I purchased the same exact dish online for about $30 and use it exclusively for RVing. Whether you are using Directv or Dish you will need to be able to aim with precision in order to gain enough signal strength for receiver to be able to download programming. It is a bit simpler if just trying to acquire SD channels as this programming is usually contained on one satellite.

The process is not overly difficult and once mastered takes but a few minutes to complete. The more you practice the easier it gets, if you have no experience you could practice at home until you get familiar with the process. There are videos online and tools are available to help ease the pointing process. We have been doing it for over a decade with both Directv and Dish and rarely takes more than 5 minutes to have all the satellites locked in.

There are roof mounted and portable automated domes/cubes that can do all the work for you, just supply the coax and power needed to operate these devices and you should be up and running. When choosing an automated sat finder check the specs for the type of receivers and programming they can use and deliver. Not all provide HD content and some require switching back and forth from satellites to gain access to your programming level. Happy Camping!!!

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Or you could use pathway X1 or pathway X2 from Winegard or a dish 300 or a dish 500 or 1000.2 or many more, some easy to aim and some not so easy. Some with HD and some without.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Using a Tailgater depends on which Dish receiver you have. The Tailgater only works with the VIP models.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
yes
kellygirl6767 wrote:
I am on hold with DISH now to try and get set up.
You could be there a long time, if they help at all.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman