cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Garmin NUVI update.

realter
Explorer
Explorer
Trying to download an update for the NUVI 255W, that I purchased a number of years ago.

Not having any luck getting through Step1 of 2. " preparing device for map update." Anybody have any suggestions, factory emails haven't been very helpful.
Garmin Express seems to have downloaded to my PC ok.
Sorry I spent $$ on the upgrade.

Thanks for any suggestions.
14 REPLIES 14

realter
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all your help and suggestions. Just before I was going to call Garmin, I restarted the computer, unplug the GPS , and what do you know, it started downloading properly. Took about an hour and a half with "high speed internet". Now I can be a happy camper again.

whjco
Explorer
Explorer
Is there enough room on your Garmin device for the map update? You may need to install a micro-sd memory card in your GPS and install tne new map to the SD Card.
Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

Wadcutter
Nomad
Nomad
Did you format the memory card before putting it in the Garmin?
When I do the updates on my 260W I put the memory card in the computer, do the updating to the card while it's in the computer, then reinsert it in the 260W.
Call Garmin if you're still having trouble. You actually talk to a real person who speaks American English. They'll walk you thru the process.
Camped in every state

realter
Explorer
Explorer
I went to Best Buy and got 16MB memory chip and slid it into the slot on the Garmin. Now I get some message blaming Microsoft for screwing up the drivers for Garmin, with a page of instructions on how to change Windows 10

I'm really po'd, first I spent $52 for the update, then $10 for the memory chip, and could have bought a new GPS for about a hundred$$.

I'm really computer illiterate. Guessing I will call Garmin as recommended by some of the above replies.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
schlep1967 wrote:
I have the 255W and it does update. As for the memory issue, you can choose the download you want. Going from memory here but I think there is eastern US, Western US, and US with or without Canada/Mexico.

Good point. If your travels are limited to a smaller area, the smaller map will save memory, and may also speed up the device, giving it less data to sift through for searches.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
I have the 255W and it does update. As for the memory issue, you can choose the download you want. Going from memory here but I think there is eastern US, Western US, and US with or without Canada/Mexico.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
My Nuvi from the early 2000s wouldn't update without adding a memory chip to it. The new maps were too big and the update would get stuck just like you describe.

Bought a $5 8gb memory chip from Amazon (micro SD card), plugged it into the Nuvi and presto problem solved.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
1. Takes about 6 hours or so to complete an update.
2. Don't try over wifi, you need to use hard wire connection to your modem per Garmin.
3. Goto http://forums.gpsreview.net/categories/garmin-auto-forum-garmin-nuvi-forum
and review their procedures.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
โ€œThey who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.โ€ Benjamin Franklin

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Call them, they're very helpful. Depending on model, they can sign into your GPS through your computer for you and fix the problem.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
agree with deleting garmin downloader and reloading it. also it can take up to 5-6 hours to update depending upon the speed of your internet connection.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Delete and reload the garmin downloader. Had problems with one of mine and that fixed the issue.

Wadcutter
Nomad
Nomad
Call Garmin. I've needed assistance a couple of times and when I called got a very helpful person.
Just FYI on your 255W. If it's been a while since you updated it the internal memory won't hold the updates. It requires loading the updates on a removable disc. Before loading to the disc the disc has to be formatted. Then do the updates and insert the disc into the 255. I've got a 260W on my bike and that's the process I go thru every 4 mo updates. The updating actually goes quicker loading to memory card than it did when it went directly to the GPS.
Camped in every state

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
My suggestion would be to go to the Garmin website and ask the question. Has the unit been registered? I'm wondering if it is too old maybe the Garmin Express will not work.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

I have found from experience that it will sometimes take a very lonnnnnnnnnnnnnng time for it to prepare device for upgrade. I have even set it up to go and then go about my business for a few hours to let it work.

How long do you wait before cancelling the process?
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com