Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Garmin RV770 LMT S

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
At $400 is it worth it?

We are 10,000 mile plus a year travellers. We try not to duplicate routes taken. We avoid interstates if comfortably possible. We seldom return to the same CGs. Guess we could be called nomads.

Our trip planner is MS S&Ts 2011 with GPS, no updates available. We have a 5 year old stand alone GPS that the DW/navigator curses everyday that we have had it. For POIs & CGs it is weak, especially the CGs when the days destination is attempted to be found.

The RV770 looks good as far as the specs go. For the big $$$ it should be.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995
25 REPLIES 25

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
GordonThree wrote:
Hey 760 owners, is there a way to read out my elevation on the main map screen?
Press the lower-right tab on the main screen. You'll find choices for what that tab displays.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
jhlady wrote:
Just got my RV770 LMT-S yesterday. Still getting used to how it works, but so far I like it. Won't know for sure for a couple months yet, but I like the integration to my iPhone via bluetooth. Again haven't had much time to play with it yet, but I like the size of the screen and the thinness of the whole device.

Time will tell.

Found out why I would not want the 770, it does it's "live traffic" via your cell phone.

While the 760 and 660 use a built in FM radio
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
Hey 760 owners, is there a way to read out my elevation on the main map screen? My ancient Nuvi has this feature and I miss it on the big 760.

Yes tap the "time" display and you can change that display to: elevation, sun rise/sun-set, etc
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Hey 760 owners, is there a way to read out my elevation on the main map screen? My ancient Nuvi has this feature and I miss it on the big 760.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I can't use the SmartphoneLink feature. I'd rather take phone calls through my hands-free system in the truck, which has much better microphones, rather than a GPS sitting on the dashboard right next to the noisy windshield. I also stream Google Music from my phone through my truck. I tried to get the Garmin to share my phone with the truck, but it's an all or nothing, and the Garmin loses.

I'm not flying an airplane so knowing the weather several 100 miles ahead isn't very helpful. If something severe comes up in my immediate location, there's not much the Garmin can do about it.

jeffcarp
Explorer
Explorer
I'm really thinking about buying this but I'm concerned by the number of reviews of Smartphone Link having problems with the Samsung Galaxy S7. Hoping to hear from others that have this combination.
2011 Born Free 22' Class C Rear Side Kitchen

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had a look at the few reviews available for the 760. They were 2014 & not good. Figured the bugs must be worked out of it by now. Since 2006 I have been through 3 <$200 GPSs. The last one has extracted the wrath of the navigator the worst. The silence may be worth the extra money.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of us own the 760 :W

It's a great GPS. The auto-re-route for traffic has saved me a couple times

Improvements in the 770

* Better general data-base of "points of interest"
* Up coming road profile (grades)
* Improved propane travel restrictions
* better screen resolution
* built in wifi for updates (I'd hate to do a map update on a campgrounds wifi, or my cell-phones)

jhlady
Explorer
Explorer
Just got my RV770 LMT-S yesterday. Still getting used to how it works, but so far I like it. Won't know for sure for a couple months yet, but I like the integration to my iPhone via bluetooth. Again haven't had much time to play with it yet, but I like the size of the screen and the thinness of the whole device.

Time will tell.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I have the older 760... I really like the voice command capability. Want to detour or find something while driving, no need to fuss with the screen, just talk to it.

The auto router is a bit daffy on mine, others dont seem to have this issue. It loves to route me down dirt back roads, even if they're not the most direct route. I learned to use the "Routes" button, and it will usually come up with a more sane alternate route that I can take.

neschultz
Explorer
Explorer
We've got the RV 760 with the backup camera and are real happy with it. Local searching just involves typing in "Walmart" and it comes up with the closest ones to your location and you can select one to go to.

Our current location is The Vineyards Campground in Grapevine TX. To find it on the GPS (we were in Hot Springs, AR), we typed "vineyard" in the search box and then "grapevine tx" in the area box and it came right up.

So far we have used it for 1900 miles in this trip out west and it has performed flawlessly. Directions are clear and ample warning is given for lane changes, etc. Examples: turn left at the traffic light, be in any of the 3 left lanes, take the ramp at exit 4 and be in the left lane.

And we use the Bluetooth phone connection to make\receive calls.

The camera grid lines are adjustable both for left/right and start and stop distance on the zones, making it highly accurate.

Good luck with your decision...hope this helps some.
Norman & Janet with Minnie the Weiner Dog
2005 SunnyBrook 38 BWQS 5th Wheel (stationary in FL for snowbirding)