cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Headphones for an I-phone

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I carpool with people that talk 'shop' endlessly and sometimes play head-bashing noise on the radio and I want to find head phones that will drown all that stuff out. I've been reading and I can't find a good explanation of sound cancelling and sound isolation in regards to those kinds of background noise. They get more into engine noise cancellation and not blocking out general background noise. I don't know if there is a difference iaw the design of the phones. It seems like on-the-ear or over-the-ear phones would be the best but now there are some impressive looking in-the-ear options. In-the-ear would be nice for traveling but I would go for the bigger phones if they do a vastly better job. Can someone tell me if I need to look for high sound cancellation or isolation quality or what? Specific product recommendations would also be great! TIA! Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!
21 REPLIES 21

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
Niiiice!!!!!! Bose sure does have the NC technology down pat.

C Schomer wrote:
Well, DW took care of me for Xmas with the QC 20i earbuds. I couldn't do a side by side comparison with the QC 15s but I think the earbuds do just as well at noise cancellation as the QC15s. Without the NC turned on, the 20i isn't as quiet as the QC15 but turn the NC on and I think the QC 20i might even do better than the QC15s. Craig
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
Well, DW took care of me for Xmas with the QC 20i earbuds. I couldn't do a side by side comparison with the QC 15s but I think the earbuds do just as well at noise cancellation as the QC15s. Without the NC turned on, the 20i isn't as quiet as the QC15 but turn the NC on and I think the QC 20i might even do better than the QC15s. Craig

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
C Schomer wrote:
---SNIP--- all the bashing by anal audiophiles on the Bose headsets.---SNIP---
SEE UP
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
"No highs, no lows, it must be Bose".
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
"I have read all the reviews and don't really buy all the bashing by anal audiophiles on the Bose headsets." I agree, the reviews are very good. I'm leaning towards Bose. The 20i, in-the-ear/noise cancelling, are rated like the QC15s and the $140 set isn't noise cancelling but are rated really high for plain earphones. Craig

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boise ..noise? hmmm
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

paulcardoza
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Bose QC-15..... Works UNBELIEVABLY well. Take note, that noise cancelling technology works best when dealing with droning, steady sound, like in a plane. If you leave the volume setting relatively quiet, you can still hear conversations. Crank it up a bit though and you'll think you're all alone.

Bose also makes an in-ear model now, but I have not tried them or read any reviews on them.

And, I assume you are NOT the driver? Two ear headphones are illegal for the driver in most states.
Paul & Sandra
Plymouth, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Forget beats.. I'd go with the Boise..

In fact.. Just to tell you how serious that is.

I HAVE the Boise.. Though an older model I like even better.

Be sure to get the cell phone adapter package.

About the only other headphone that might work has two problems.

ONE: it is LOUD, I mean it is at least 2x as efficient at converting electrical impulses into sound as any other device I have here,,, This can damage hearing, and TWO: I do not think they make it any more.. That said I have two pair.

Radio Shack Titanium diaphragm headphones. Sorry cant find one without gettin up so no model number. They were 20 bucks when I got 'em.

The Boise noise cancelling headphones I have do not need to be louder. they use active electronics to listen to the noise, Then invert it and feed it to the speakers in the headphone, the result is that the noise is electronically cancelled.

Works well. Will not totaly block speech, but will tone it down to a reasonable (and ignorable) level.

Or as I said to the parent who was apologizing for how loud the child's birthday party was in the room where I was computing....

I held up the head set.. "Boise Noise cancelling.... What party?"
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Speaking of a 737, you'll never get on an airliner again sans a Bose headset or equivalent. Airplanes are loud.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
I have read all the reviews and don't really buy all the bashing by anal audiophiles on the Bose headsets. They deserve it for other things, but not these. I have tried several different noise canceling headphones and kept returning to the Bose. The QC-15 canceling ability is significantly better than the QC-2 it replaced. But surprising enough it also suppresses cabin conversation another probably 10db over the QC-2 or the Sony. Actually too much unless there's a 4 yr old next to you.

If you want QUIET, you need to go for earbuds. I had a pair of NC Sony's that were so quiet you could hear yourself breathe sitting behind the wing on a 737.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I like the sound of my I phone buds just fine. Too bad they don't fit tighter to stop other noise. I looked at Best Buy today but didn't buy anything yet. I ran out of time. The in-the-ear 20i looks great and it better be for $300! I'm thinking about the lower grade $140 in-the-ear Bose. Thanks for the suggestions. I will check out all of them. Craig

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just plug in the ear phones that come with the IPhone and crank up some Skynyrd or Bach. ... You won't hear any work related conversation.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

just got a set of Sony headphones from Sams's club for $99.00.. They are nice , comfortable and work fantastic! They are over the ear type...Joe
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
If it were me I'd go for the Parrot Zik wireless model. Expensive yes but it's a noise cancelling headphone that music still sounds good. Something which IMHO is missing from Bose and others.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad