cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Internet on the go

Freep
Explorer
Explorer
One thing that I've done very well with the TC is setting up wifi. We have Verizon because of the superior coverage and I use a wifi hotspot with external antennas.

The external antennas mounted high and wide are the key to having the best internet signal you can get(sans a booster).

I mounted two of these along the gutter and routed them to the camper using the same route that the radio antenna uses. Plugged them into the hot spot and I have fantastic connectivity.

I've gone from 3G and a couple of bars to 4G LTE and 4 bars because of the antennas.

For a temporary setup and a proof of concept I used these.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KY4Q7DG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B009ZNIJTM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2014 Lance 992
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Turbo diesel
10 REPLIES 10

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
My AT&T Netgear router has antenna connections as did my previous Verizon and Sprint MiFi's. I don't think it's that unusual.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
theoldwizard1 wrote:

What is the make and model of the hotspot ? Very few have provisions for hooking up an external antenna.

My Verizon Novatel 6620L Jetpack and my AT&T Netgear Unite both have external antenna ports. The Unite has two ports for a MIMO setup.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Freep
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:

What is the make and model of the hotspot ? Very few have provisions for hooking up an external antenna.

It's an MHS800L Ellipses Jetpack. The antenna ports are not obvious and are covered by rubber plugs.

Notice in this picture that only one port has an external antenna connected to it. You want to use two antennas for the best results.
2014 Lance 992
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Turbo diesel

rirish1
Explorer
Explorer
I have Verizon for it's superior coverage but I am now in Alaska and Verizon is certainly not a player in this state. I have barely been able to get 4G and usually only 1 bar. ATT is the major provider here. My TV has has an unlimited hotspot (works with ATT towers) and it has had a connection at least 3x the amount that my phone does. Neither service has coverage in the boonies but I'm talking places like Seward, and Anchorage. Headed to Fairbanks today so I'll check it out there.

Just wanted people to know in case they were counting on Verizon in Alaska. Verizon is working on increasing their presence in the state.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocreek wrote:
A Yagi antenna is directional while the ones that the OP referenced are omni-directional. With A Yagi you need to point it at the tower but it produce a MUCH stronger signal even without an amplifier.

I know that and probably did not read the op's post correctly.:B

I assumed you knew that ! Most people don't even know what a Yagi antenna is ! My comment was to educate the OP.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
45db of Gain.. I'm sued to HF antennas and 45DB is impressive (I know it is very possible at MIcrowave frequencies)
Let' that's doubled times 15 or 31622.776602 times the power... As I said Impressive 1 watt becomes 31.6 THOUSAND watts.

That's why the high gain yagi gives such impressive performance.

But that is at the cost of looking down a very narrow tube. (like a telescope) it has to be pointed directly at the tower.

IN fact it is exactly like a telescope.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Moved from Truck Campers
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
A Yagi antenna is directional while the ones that the OP referenced are omni-directional. With A Yagi you need to point it at the tower but it produce a MUCH stronger signal even without an amplifier.

I know that and probably did not read the op's post correctly.:B

Working and spending a bunch of time deep in the hills of Idaho I have experimented with several combinations of boosters and antenna's so I could get out in case of an emergency.On 911 I was in the hills and never heard about what happened until I walked to the top of the nearest hill for reception days later.

I run a +6db magnetic mount on my pickup camper and my old Class C..The Yagi makes a big difference if I cannot bring in a signal even with my Wilson booster..Knowing where the tower is, it isn't much of an issue.

The Wilson booster is very impressive as it makes a huge difference from 0-1 bars to 4-5 just with the magnetic antenna and if I only have 0-1 bars with the booster,hooking up the Yagi is worth the time bringing 0-1 bars with the booster, to 3-4 most of the time making phone calls possible rather than just text messages at the really low reception.

A good booster is spendy but for those that rely on cell service of some sort way back in the hills,there worth it.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Freep wrote:
One thing that I've done very well with the TC is setting up wifi. We have Verizon because of the superior coverage and I use a wifi hotspot with external antennas.

jaycocreek wrote:
When we are way out for an extended stay we us a Yagi antenna and a 45db power booster..Normally the power booster is enough coupled with a high gain antenna, but sometimes the Yagi antenna is worth it's weight in gold for pulling in reception other antenna's can't.

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
When we are way out for an extended stay we us a Yagi antenna and a 45db power booster..Normally the power booster is enough coupled with a high gain antenna, but sometimes the Yagi antenna is worth it's weight in gold for pulling in reception other antenna's can't.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04