cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Multi-meter recommendations, please!

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
My husband has mentioned a time or two that he wants a new multimeter. Seems like a perfect gift, but I know less than nothing about them so thought I'd ask you folks for recommendations.

Looking for something sort of all-around, if it's out there- he does auto/RV as well as home electrical stuff.....

Thanks!
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien
54 REPLIES 54

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
Leaning towards the Fluke- I notice there are "repair kits" out there for faded LED display- is that a common problem, even with the new models?
My oldest Fluke is a Model 85 III, since replaced with the Model 87/V and the display is as good as when I bought it. This is one of the better designs of the bunch IMO
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Leaning towards the Fluke- I notice there are "repair kits" out there for faded LED display- is that a common problem, even with the new models?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
3 choices.. Harbor Freight has some decent ones in the 10-20 dollar range as I recall.. I actually have 2 of 'em one still on the card.

SEARS has some very attractive digital multi meters with current sensing clamps, Two of them are AC/DC.. one is just over 100 dollars as I recall and the other about sixty, #82369 is printed on it's face.. It comes with a nice zipper case,

Measures: AC AMPS 40 or 400 amp max, clamp on
DC AMPS 40 or 400 amps clamp on
Temperature with included thermal probe
Resistance and capacitance (Have not tried the capacitance yet)
VOLTS both AC and DC with auto sense and auto ranging.
And frequency (AC)

Has mode, hold and range buttons, Nice test leads.

And yes it is sitting beside the keyboard as I type.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

hypoxia
Explorer
Explorer
Heisenberg wrote:
From an Instrument and Controls Technician. Buy him a Fluke 88, minimum. A harbor freight meter would be an insult.

At least make sure it is autoranging, auto off, measures capacitance etc. A clamp on ampmeter is a great thing but I don't want it on my main meter as it is too large. I have a bunch of Harbor Freight meters in strategic places to avoid trips but always grab one of my Flukes if possible.
Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
From an Instrument and Controls Technician. Buy him a Fluke 88, minimum. A harbor freight meter would be an insult.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
PS- I use my amp clamp as much or more than a DVM, but for reasons of size would never buy a combo, there's too many places a combo won't go. Mines a Tenma 72-6185 RMS meter. Dunno if it's even made anymore. Too bad Fluke doesn't make one in this size.. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Jeff - WA6EQU

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
If he's an engineer then it goes without saying to buy a quality instrument or you'll likely hear about it somehow later on. Fluke is the gold standard, it's tough, it's accurate, it's repeatable, has lots of accessories, and even though none are cheap, you have a wide range of instruments and pricing. I have several DVM's, but when I really want to trust what I'm seeing, I grab the Fluke.
Jeff - WA6EQU

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
camperpaul wrote:

I know a few people who have private museums of vintage test equipment; you might talk with hubby about early H-P or Tektronix gear.

:h

Well, thanks, "Camper Paul"!

Got any more condescending input for me and my obviously over-the-hill Husband?

Thanks anyway, folks!

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:

He's an Engineer that spent his whole career working around instruments ...

I want to surprise him with something that's the bees knees, meter-wise. Might have to resort to casually questioning him as to what that might be ...

I know a few people who have private museums of vintage test equipment; you might talk with hubby about early H-P or Tektronix gear.

For decades, H-P was the Rolls-Royce of the industry.

H-P divested themselves of their test equipment division a few years ago and the current products are manufactured and sold under the "Agilent" name. The quality is held to the same standard as the original equipment built in a garage in California in 1938.

Agilent Digital Multimeters

Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
I have a FLUKE but it is way overkill for what your hubby needs

tplife
Explorer
Explorer
+2 for the Klein MM200. Got one off the internet last year for a great price to upgrade my old analog meter...Harbor Freight is the last place I'd buy a multi meter, but then again, I could just throw it away after I used it. ๐Ÿ™‚

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
WyoTraveler wrote:

Best suggestion I have seen. Buy the Harbor freight meter. Then buy him a couple of books about using the meter. Then later buy a better meter. He will know more exactly want he wants. I can do as much with that Harbor freight meter as many people that have those expensive ones and don't really know how to trouble shoot ckts with them. That is why a book is so important.

He's an Engineer that spent his whole career working around instruments; he's also owned/used his present meter for years. Believe-you-me, he knows his way around meters.

It's me that's the ignoramus- I want to surprise him with something that's the bees knees, meter-wise. Might have to resort to casually questioning him as to what that might be....

Better dust off the ol' feminine wiles so he'll be too distracted to get suspicious! :B

Shadow_Catcher
Explorer
Explorer
I have two, the Craftsman already mentioned and a Harbor Freight for knock around http://www.harborfreight.com/ac-dc-digital-multimeter-37772.html

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
Fluke is the Gold Standard in Multi-meters! It's what electricians use. That being said, I bought another nice brand at Amazon:

MultiMeter

MASTECH AC/DC Auto/Manual Range Digital Multimeter, MS8268 $23.95

It's a nice meter without being too stripped down or too fancy!

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Go to harbor freight and pick one. He will love it and it will work just fine for general RV use.

Best suggestion I have seen. Buy the Harbor freight meter. Then buy him a couple of books about using the meter. Then later buy a better meter. He will know more exactly want he wants. I can do as much with that Harbor freight meter as many people that have those expensive ones and don't really know how to trouble shoot ckts with them. That is why a book is so important.