cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Multi-meter recommendations, please!

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
My husband has mentioned a time or two that he wants a new multimeter. Seems like a perfect gift, but I know less than nothing about them so thought I'd ask you folks for recommendations.

Looking for something sort of all-around, if it's out there- he does auto/RV as well as home electrical stuff.....

Thanks!
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien
54 REPLIES 54

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the update!

Betcha he bought himself a nifty new leather biker vest! Hahaha!

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
I wimped out and gave him the cash and the link! He's ordered something- don't know what he settled on, though.

Thing is, he also has a brand spankin' new motorcycle that he bought in the fall, and I suspect he might have used some of his Meter Money for Bike Bling.

We'll see when the UPS truck comes rollin' up the driveway...:B

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca, did you ever end up getting hubby a meter or just giving him the cash? Inquiring minds want to know which meter if you went that direction!

Thanks!

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Johnofbham wrote:
My cheap Harbor freight meter only reads 1 decimal on dc voltage which isn't good enough for battery voltage. I use my other meter with 2 decimals to get a better idea of the batteries state of charge.

Give me a break. In the lab most of my voltage measurements were with a Techtronics scope. Probably not as accurate as the Harbor freight meter. That is because it is the person using the probes not the way it is measured.

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
It's all Fluke at work. I saw a nice small clamp-on at Lowes today and I might get one for home -$90. I didn't have time to check the resolution, accuracy and all the scales to see if it's everything I need for hvac but it was true rms, ac/dc (40a and 400a scales), capacitance, temp, hz. I need to make sure it has peak hold and if the leads are good quality. It's southwire brand and I bet it's better than my old UEI which is entry level throw-away junk. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect he already has a good Fluke meter if not he would applicate one.

Expensive but you will be getting what you pay for.

If he does have a Fluke I would go for one of the Craftsman meters that in addition to the AC/DC stuff they check frequency and temperature.

Not as expensive as a Fluke but really handy for is versatility.
Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

jamway
Explorer
Explorer
Johnofbham wrote:
My cheap Harbor freight meter only reads 1 decimal on dc voltage which isn't good enough for battery voltage. I use my other meter with 2 decimals to get a better idea of the batteries state of charge.

Set the D C V to 20 and I think you will have 2 decimals. I know that will not help on higher voltage.
Happy Camping

2004 2500 CTD HO LB 4X4 auto
2005 Discover America 29 RL

James

Salvo
Explorer
Explorer
Nice collection Lou. The EICO kits were great. Not only did you get good test equipment, but it's also a great learning experience when putting them together.

I've been impressed with the Rigol scope. Excellent price to performance ratio. I believe Wayne Dohnal has one. He did some relay testing for me with that scope. Very nice plots.

My digital storage consists of operating a video camera in front of the scope screen.

Sal

LScamper wrote:

If he would like an oscilloscope, for about $400.00 on Amazon you can get a Rigol DS1102E 100MHz Digital Oscilloscope. It is a very good scope for little money for a scope. I have had one for about 3 years and really like it.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Get him one of these..

Old School baby

Can't beat those Sal.. My dad had a similar pair that I think were Western Electric IIRC. Probably late 40's.

I wonder if Meter Master is still in business?
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Johnofbham
Explorer
Explorer

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
Some time ago someone here recommended the Innova 3320. I bought one and like it very much.
2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

LScamper
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for the overload!

"I know a few people who have private museums of vintage test equipment"

You must be talking about me.

EICO Model 950B AC bridge, EICO Model 324 RF signal generator, EICO Model 425 5" Push Pull Oscilloscope, EICO Model 232 VTVM, battery eliminator with volt, current and a variac to set it and several other EICO items. Most bought by saving lunch money in 7th > 12th grade, late 50s early 60s. Still have the instruction manuals and the construction manual for them!

Also have RCA Senior VoltOhmyst, Simpson Model 377, Triplett Model 666-R, and Triplett Model 310. A few other old meters laying around too.

Have several Fluke meters some that I have used from the early 70s. Oh and one TEK RM 45 to heat the house!

OK, back to this thread. If he is a true engineer he will appreciate quality equipment. You can'nt get better than Fluke!

If he would like an oscilloscope, for about $400.00 on Amazon you can get a Rigol DS1102E 100MHz Digital Oscilloscope. It is a very good scope for little money for a scope. I have had one for about 3 years and really like it.
Lou

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
I really appreciate all the input- but I have to confess I'm startin' to go under, brain-overload wise. So many options...so little training on this end. :@

I'm at the point where I might just give him five hundred bucks and a link to this thread- what better present for an Engineer than all this great information from experienced folks that think the way he does?

Thanks again to all for the input, and Merry Christmas... hope Santa's as good to y'all as you've been to my Husband!

Salvo
Explorer
Explorer
You're now talking about high-end analog meters. Your standard analog ac voltmeter input impedance (like Simpson 260) is 5K ohm/V. Those are the meters I was talking about.

My first high-impedance multimeter was the EICO 239 which I built from a kit. That was back in about 1971. I think that has a j-fet input stage. Still have that meter sitting on shelf by my workbench. Don't use it though. I do however use a 1945 era meter called Multavi II.

The HF meter I mentioned does not have a sliding analog scale. The Fluke 77 has one, but I never pay attention to it. If voltage is changing then I hook up the scope.

Now there's something the OP can get hubby. I'll take a digital storage oscilloscope for xmas. But I don't think I've been that good. ;).

Sal

SCVJeff wrote:
Thats input impedance, not the meter gender.